Are We Viewed As The Scum Of Thailand

bubba1

I dont think the Thai people give it much of a thought, unlike a lot of the bitter resentment towards us posted by other foriegners on here!

:thumbsup:

Actually, Thai's love Pattaya. Ask a Thai in Bangkok where they would like to go for the weekend and it will be Pattaya. It's the foreigners that have the bad views....most of which don't even live here.

If you avoid the main beach area, the rest of the town is pretty much like every other Thai town. Visit Jomtien beach over the weekend and you will see how crowded it is with Thai's here for the day or weekend....packed...

So true......that's what i was trying to say earlier, Thai's love Pattaya, it's only expats who generalize on the people who live there!!

I live on Jomtien beach and it really is a great place for a mix of Thai and expats both on vacation and living.

:rolleyes:

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you only spend time in the area between North Pattaya Road, Beach Road, 2nd Road and South Pattaya Road you will run into some interesting characters for sure. Soi 6 is really slumming it. Walking Street has become a tourist attraction much like the red light district in Amsterdam. I'm amazed at how many families I see walking around there.

Bangkok has it's share of these areas, as does Phuket. But they are more spread out, and smaller...but Pattaya still reigns as king of the beer bar city. ;) Or is that bar beer?

I am clean shaved, short hair not fat and have worked in the Rayong area for three years. I went to the hospital in Sattahip for a stomach problem two years ago that required an operation. They messed up the operation and I had to stay there for 10 days. The nurses and doctors treated me poorly and said it was because I was scum and lived in Pattaya. They also collected my bill daily and made me walk to the ATM in the hospital hooked up to Iv's. No wheelchair available.

I told them I didn't live in Pattaya and had some teacher friends come to visit me to confirm the fact I did not live in Pattaya.

That experience and experiences with people in Ban Chang and Rayong have confirmed in my mind that Falang who live in Pattaya are thought of as very lo so people.

I really like Pattaya and do visit occasionally but I don't kid myself about how Thai people feel about it.

I am clean shaved, short hair not fat and have worked in the Rayong area for three years. I went to the hospital in Sattahip for a stomach problem two years ago that required an operation. They messed up the operation and I had to stay there for 10 days. The nurses and doctors treated me poorly and said it was because I was scum and lived in Pattaya. They also collected my bill daily and made me walk to the ATM in the hospital hooked up to Iv's. No wheelchair available.

I told them I didn't live in Pattaya and had some teacher friends come to visit me to confirm the fact I did not live in Pattaya.

That experience and experiences with people in Ban Chang and Rayong have confirmed in my mind that Falang who live in Pattaya are thought of as very lo so people.

I really like Pattaya and do visit occasionally but I don't kid myself about how Thai people feel about it.

Really sorry to hear this. For purposes of this discussion though it helps prove the point. Too many people in Pattaya are not living in reality

You are saying that the doctors and nurses told you that they thought you were "scum" because you live in Pattaya?!

Really sorry to hear this. For purposes of this discussion though it helps prove the point. Too many people in Pattaya are not living in reality

I was surprised as it was not the first time I had been to the hospital. The first time I was treated well and I actually lived in Pattaya then.

10 days is a long time to spend in a place and I have been to other Thai hospitals. I got a good idea of the mood of the place. It was not Falang positive.

I would be interested in contrary opinions as I hope the place is getting better and not worse.

I think the opinions of what Thai people think are worthless. Actions speak louder than thoughts.

Personally I would be interested in what Thai people do that conveys their attitude rather than what a Falang thinks they are thinking.

For example I go to a barber shop with two barbers. One likes Falang and one hates them. Easy to tell. I get haircuts from both men. One does a better job, of course it is the one who likes Falang.

You are saying that the doctors and nurses told you that they thought you were "scum" because you live in Pattaya?!

No I am saying I got second class care because they thought I lived in Pattaya. 1. AC not working. 2. Rough needle treatment while taking blood. 3. Rough wound treatment. 4. Doctors acting smug and condescending when asked questions. 5. Accounting office visits daily. I listened to conversations of the nurses on the floor because they did not know I spoke much Thai. I listened to the comments made by the Thai teachers who came to visit me about the doctors and nursing staff.

But most of all it was the rough uncaring treatment. They couldn't be bothered to find a wheelchair or ask me what I wanted to eat. I told them I was getting too much fluid (could feel my stomach bloating) but they would not adjust the Iv drip. So I turned it off. The Iv thing was Swiss made high tech and they didn't know how to adjust it.

No I am saying I got second class care because they thought I lived in Pattaya. 1. AC not working. 2. Rough needle treatment while taking blood. 3. Rough wound treatment. 4. Doctors acting smug and condescending when asked questions. 5. Accounting office visits daily. I listened to conversations of the nurses on the floor because they did not know I spoke much Thai. I listened to the comments made by the Thai teachers who came to visit me about the doctors and nursing staff.

But most of all it was the rough uncaring treatment. They couldn't be bothered to find a wheelchair or ask me what I wanted to eat. I told them I was getting too much fluid (could feel my stomach bloating) but they would not adjust the Iv drip. So I turned it off. The Iv thing was Swiss made high tech and they didn't know how to adjust it.

I trust you reported all this. What is the name of the hospital? What was the response you recieved?

I trust you reported all this. What is the name of the hospital? What was the response you recieved?

report to who? Do you think they care what a 'pattaya farang' thinks when they send the accounting department to collect money every day?

Get a grip folks.

I've never spent a night in that hospital, but have been there a few times. If it is Queen Sikirit, then it is a HUGE hospital seeing hundreds if not thousands of patients every day. I'm sure in your home country, the service would be impersonal also. I know in the US, hospitals like this suck and so does the service. The nurses are rude, the docs avoid you, and then you get the bill...

I've been treated with respect there, as well as the other hospitals I have been to. But!!! I think in general, Thai's are racist for sure. Just like the Japanese. They really don't like outsiders. That's why we are called farang. Look up the definition...it's not a pretty one.

------------------------------------------------------------

Farang ( ฝรั่ง) is the generic Thai word for a foreigner of European ancestry. While generally farang is a neutral word, it can be used in a mocking manner, or even as an insult depending on the context. ...

------------------------------------------------------------

I also think foreigners here bring this upon themselves. I just had a visit by a friend from Australia. His comment was some of the bottom of the barrel live in Pattaya. Long hair, tats all over, poorly dressed, chasing prostitutes, drinking beer all day...kinda hard for Thai's to have a good image of us when they see this. Of course, I know some Thai's like this also! :rolleyes:

The thread is not really about hospital care it is about how Thai people feel about Falang who live in Pattaya.

It was my experience the staff of the hospital thought very little of Falang who live in Pattaya and thought I should have gone to one of the hi so international hospitals in Pattaya.

I don't think I received care on a par with the Thai people because I was a Falang and especially a Falang from Pattaya.

I have no idea who I would have reported it to. I saw two doctors every day, the surgeon and regular hospital doctor. It was a 1000 bed hospital.

After all was said and done I lived and have had no complications from my stay there except a rash on my back from the hospital bed which was cleared up when I finally coughed up the cash to go to a hi so hospital skin department.

Treat Thai people with the respect any sentient being deserves, and you'll usually be treated likewise. Don't assume that the girls who work in Pattaya have no self-respect. Family is important here, however the reverence for it manifests itself. The old adage about 'walking a mile in another's shoes' is always relevant when we travel to places not of our own culture. Don't judge or show rudeness. Don't assume all that is western is good, and all that is Asian is second best. Ethnocentricity never made friends. Most of the negative comments I hear coming from westerners are made in ignorance. And many who would berate Asian people for keeping separate from locals in their home countries, do the same themselves here. So when I read a question such as the OP posted, I ask myself 'if he doesn't know, or suspects the answer is negative, perhaps making friends with and listening to the views of Thai people would give him better insight into the reality, or at least help to alleviate the fear behind the question'. Ultimately, I hope the question was posed with good intent. If it was ... worry less, mix more :)

:jap:

DIG

your comments are way off topic

Pattaya dwellers, both Farang and Thai, are generally viewed as scum by Thais.

What a stupid, generalising and ridiculous statement - all sorts living in Pattaya, both Thai and Farang, as there are in Bangkok, Chiang Mai and elsewhere in the kingdom. I think bubba needs to get out in the real world a bit. And no I am not a sexpat as he trolls it - farang wife, kids etc and everything that goes with being a family man in Pattaya or anywhere else for that manner !!!

Stupid people should maybe not be given access to the internet, it would make the world a much nicer place.

Trotski

lol well to be honest, as a farang, the only reason I'd go to Pattaya is for girls. What else is there?

I think you need to qualify that a little, and then you may be on the mark. The only reason you would go to the central part of Pattaya would be the girls. Many of us do not live in that area and don't really visit there often. But we still live in "Pattaya". Or Jomtien, or Nakula, Or Bang Saray. To many, these are still part of Pattaya.

Kinda like saying you don't like Los Angeles, California. What part? Beverly Hills? Malibu? Marina Del Rey? Downtown for sure is not nice, but these other areas are very nice. And if you live there, and asked where you live, you would never say LA. You would say..."I live in the Marina!".

lol well to be honest, as a farang, the only reason I'd go to Pattaya is for girls. What else is there?

I think you need to qualify that a little, and then you may be on the mark. The only reason you would go to the central part of Pattaya would be the girls. Many of us do not live in that area and don't really visit there often. But we still live in "Pattaya". Or Jomtien, or Nakula, Or Bang Saray. To many, these are still part of Pattaya.

Kinda like saying you don't like Los Angeles, California. What part? Beverly Hills? Malibu? Marina Del Rey? Downtown for sure is not nice, but these other areas are very nice. And if you live there, and asked where you live, you would never say LA. You would say..."I live in the Marina!".

plenty of prostitution in Jomtien and Naklua. Same Same.

Presumably you never stray further than a short walk from the red light area. I suppose if the only reason you go out is to buy a prostitute why would you need anything else.

Actually, there are many things to do down there if you can force yourself away from the girlie bars.:rolleyes:

Presumably you never stray further than a short walk from the red light area. I suppose if the only reason you go out is to buy a prostitute why would you need anything else.

Actually, there are many things to do down there if you can force yourself away from the girlie bars.:rolleyes:

like what? Floating Market burp.gif

It must be a great life sitting in a bar all day speaking pigeon English to a girl young enough to be your daughter. :lol: It does paint the picture of a total loser.:ermm::(

There are many ex pat groups to meet with. VFW for one. Great restaurants (French, Swiss, Belgian, Chinese, Italian, Indian, Pakistani and many more). Movies in English. Shopping at both Thai and Falang markets. Don't want to go out to eat great food available in supermarkets. Good sausage, salami, baked ham, seafood and other things that you can't get living other places in Thailand. Live entertainment from blues to hip hop. I don't drink and rarely go to bars and have a lot of friends here the same. It is a great city and easy to get around.

I just read this to my wife who is from Ban Chang and has family there still and she laughed, she then said that she didn't believe it for one minute.

:)

The nurses and doctors treated me poorly and said it was because I was scum and lived in Pattaya. They also collected my bill daily and made me walk to the ATM in the hospital hooked up to Iv's.

Sure they didnt just think you were TEFLer? That might offer a reasonable explanation for their behaviour.

I just read this to my wife who is from Ban Chang and has family there still and she laughed, she then said that she didn't believe it for one minute.

:)

I have a tendancy to agree with you wife