Look Kreungs

MZurf

you can't blame him.. mine is from issan but lived most of her life in bangkok and i dont get offended if someone says most women from issan are dumb.

Most women from trailerparks in nebraska are dumb, if your wife's from there and she's not dumb shes just an exception.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One would hope that Thailand evolves into the type of nation where a rice farmer's son can grow up to cure cancer. Sadly, it does not appear to be that way on the horizon.

What a stupid,offensive and disgusting comment. My children have an Isarn mother, and are both currently studying in Oz., They do want to go to Uni., Hopefully they will. As to whether they will come back to live and work in Thailand.I don't know. I do know that it will be Thailands loss, if they do not not

whyohwhy does esarn bashing not get moderated you xenophopic sh*tforbrains with your pattaya-limited experience (blood-pressure-censored).

Go to your happy place......they'll climb back under their rocks eventually.

BTW, my gal is a from a (non-rice) farming background in Nakhon Sawan...and our daughter is cute other than being too fat.

One would hope that Thailand evolves into the type of nation where a rice farmer's son can grow up to cure cancer. Sadly, it does not appear to be that way on the horizon.

What a stupid,offensive and disgusting comment. My children have an Isarn mother, and are both currently studying in Oz., They do want to go to Uni., Hopefully they will. As to whether they will come back to live and work in Thailand.I don't know. I do know that it will be Thailands loss, if they do not not

Sorry, I clicked the wrong post, I meant to click H282

Obviously people with half Isaan children are going to get offended or think that their children will be the exception - the fact remains though that the Thai-Establishment will view them as second class citizens.

I have a friend at Sasin (best business school in Thailand, at Chula) who said that of the 100 students in his MBA class, not a single one of them came from Isaan. All Thai-Chinese.

Our Western values (kid can come from nothing and be president) do not apply in Thailand, no matter how much we may want them to.

Obviously people with half Isaan children are going to get offended or think that their children will be the exception - the fact remains though that the Thai-Establishment will view them as second class citizens.

I have a friend at Sasin (best business school in Thailand, at Chula) who said that of the 100 students in his MBA class, not a single one of them came from Isaan. All Thai-Chinese.

Our Western values (kid can come from nothing and be president) do not apply in Thailand, no matter how much we may want them to.

God, I hate those Thai/Chinese.

Do you actually think that the Isarn rice grower would prefer an American culture? :lol:

Reminds me of this story:-

An American businessman was at a pier in a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellow-fin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them.

The Mexican replied only a little while.

The American then asked why didn't he stay out longer and catch more fish?

The Mexican said he had enough to support his family's immediate needs. The American then asked the Mexican how he spent the rest of his time.

The Mexican fisherman said, "I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siesta with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos. I have a full and busy life, senor."

The American scoffed, "I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and, with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat. With the proceeds from the bigger boat, you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing and distribution.

"You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually NYC where you will run your expanding enterprise."

The Mexican fisherman asked, "But senor, how long will this all take?"

The American replied, "15-20 years."

"But what then, senor?" asked the Mexican.

The American laughed, and said, "That's the best part! When the time is right, you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public. You’ll become very rich, you would make millions!"

"Millions, senor?" replied the Mexican. "Then what?"

The American said, "Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos."

Of course. Isarn people have been treated like shit. These uni students are full fee paying students .How many Isarn people can afford to go ?. How many could pass the entrance exam? Why? Isarn people are despised, detested by the thai chinese.They have historically been kept suppressed by the "ruling classes" Suppressed economically, as well as educationally Who are the ruling class? Need me to spell it out? Refused the same educational opportunities as the chinese thais. But the times are a'changing.

Can someone tell me how you can randomly tell what region thai people are from? ok, there are Thai Chinese Bangkokians who are identifiable by white skin and Chinese Thais in the north with white skin. But what about all the Thai Chinese that have dark skin? From my perspective, around 95% of Thais have what I would call dark skin. It is a bit confusing.

That university is not even in the top 200 of the world

I doubt anyone cares, even the gas attendant at shell.

Of course. Isarn people have been treated like shit. These uni students are full fee paying students .How many Isarn people can afford to go ?. How many could pass the entrance exam? Why? Isarn people are despised, detested by the thai chinese.They have historically been kept suppressed by the "ruling classes" Suppressed economically, as well as educationally Who are the ruling class? Need me to spell it out? Refused the same educational opportunities as the chinese thais. But the times are a'changing.

I think a lot of folks can relate to this... but some groups in every single society in the world have a tendency towards short term planning horizons. In the case of Thailand, it's the folks from Issan. How are you going to afford anything, pass entrance exams, start/run/develop businesses/etc. when you're more comfortable with planning things a few days or weeks at a time, as opposed to preparing 5-10-20 years for the 'future?'

Look what happens to most folks on payday, or after any kind of financial status changing windfall (inheritance of land for example... which the Issanites and native Thais have plenty of, but have been steadily decreasing/selling off for generations)... the short term planner tends to buy some kind of toy (cars, trucks, phones, female companionship, etc.) or food and drink... the long term planner tends to FIRST reinvest or make a few business moves that increases the amount of their income AND THEN starts to think about the fun stuff later. The short term planners see the long termers in their paid for homes, cars, and businesses and can't seem to fathom that there are actually steps that are the means to those results. So they take shortcuts, take out loans, and are worse off (at an increasing rate because of interest) than they were in the first place. And it only gets worse... and worse... and worse... generation after generation.

It's silly to think that those tendencies are somehow taught by the ruling classes to keep folks thinking 'one day at a time.'

:)

p.s. Try to have a nice day though...

Do you actually think that the Isarn rice grower would prefer an American culture? :lol:

An American businessman was at a pier in a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellow-fin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them.

The Mexican said he had enough to support his family's immediate needs. The American then asked the Mexican how he spent the rest of his time.

The Mexican fisherman said, "I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siesta with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos. I have a full and busy life, senor."

The American scoffed, "I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and, with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat. With the proceeds from the bigger boat, you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing and distribution.

"You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually NYC where you will run your expanding enterprise."

The American laughed, and said, "That's the best part! When the time is right, you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public. You’ll become very rich, you would make millions!"

The American said, "Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos."

What about the part in the story where the Mexican fisherman gets a relatively easy to treat disease but only has 500 pesos in the bank (the sock drawer on his boat)? Non-issue with some decent life savings and multiple income streams.

Or some oil tanker dumps XX thousand gallons of oil into his/her bread basket? Not a big deal if you owned a fleet of vessels that you could send to deeper waters.

Or when his/her kid wants to go to a school that doesn't teach fishing theory? Oh, but where would we be without made up/internet email forward style 'fisherman meets businessman' stories without a new generation of fisherman?

Edited by Heng

Look around you sometime. How many Luk-Kreungs do you see in positions of authority, business, etc..? Very few. Some are on tv, some spend their time in night clubs, some are high profile models but that's about it. They are novelties. Thailand treats them well enough but anytime you're a novelty there's a built in glass ceiling like others have said in this thread.

Now how many high profile thai businesses are going to raise up a luk-kreung as a protege to take over a multi-billion baht business? Probably close to zero. They might be in well paying positions but when it comes to the power structure they will not be let "in" the inner circle.

the long term planner tends to FIRST reinvest or make a few business moves that increases the amount of their income AND THEN starts to think about the fun stuff later. The short term planners see the long termers in their paid for homes, cars, and businesses and can't seem to fathom that there are actually steps that are the means to those results. So they take shortcuts, take out loans, and are worse off (at an increasing rate because of interest) than they were in the first place. And it only gets worse... and worse... and worse... generation after generation.

Here here..

Did you read Rich Dad Poor Dad? :D

I don't know where you got your information but it is incorrect. Chula is a top 100 University and easily the best in Thailand. I'm sure lots of families in Isaan wish their children could attend.

I don't know where you got your information but it is incorrect. Chula is a top 100 University and easily the best in Thailand. I'm sure lots of families in Isaan wish their children could attend.

Chula is currently 180th.

http://www.topuniversities.com/sites/default/files/QS_World_University_Rankings_top500.pdf

And... there are man :o y Chula students from Isarn

Chula is currently 180th.

And... there are man :o y Chula students from Isarn

That is not a reputable source. They have half of the top 10 in the UK, that should tell you enough about what a garbage list that is...

Lookup Chula in any reputable publication and you will see them consistently in the top 100.

That is not a reputable source. They have half of the top 10 in the UK, that should tell you enough about what a garbage list that is...

Lookup Chula in any reputable publication and you will see them consistently in the top 100.

Most of the Thais I know with money send their kids to England. My wife studied at high school and university there. England is first choice. I was surprised to see my uni at only 61st.

Seems that the only ones wanting an American uni are ..erm American.

What about the part in the story where the Mexican fisherman gets a relatively easy to treat disease but only has 500 pesos in the bank (the sock drawer on his boat)? Non-issue with some decent life savings and multiple income streams.

Or some oil tanker dumps XX thousand gallons of oil into his/her bread basket? Not a big deal if you owned a fleet of vessels that you could send to deeper waters.

Or when his/her kid wants to go to a school that doesn't teach fishing theory? Oh, but where would we be without made up/internet email forward style 'fisherman meets businessman' stories without a new generation of fisherman?

They say if you give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day, but if you teach a man to fish.... then he's gotta get a fishing license, but he doesn't have any money. So he's got to get a job and get into the social security system and pay taxes, and now you're gonna audit the poor cocksucker, cuz' he's not really good with math. So he'll pull the IRS van up to your house, and he'll take all your shit. He'll take your black velvet Elvis and your Batman toothbrush, and your penis pump, and that all goes up for auction with the burden of proof on you because you forgot to carry the one, cuz' you were just worried about eating a fuc_king fish, and you couldn't even cook the fish cuz' you needed a permit for an open flame. Then the health department is going to start asking you a lot of questions about where are you going to dump the scales and the guts. 'This is not a sanitary environment',

Doug Stanhope

Off topic but amusing :D

I think Look krungs will struggle to get good jobs as most employers would rather give full Thais the job thinking that being a look Krung, your rich father will take care of you. I doubt you will ever see them in the police or army, mostly employed in the tourist sector for their better english skills.

I have only ever seen one working a normal job, as a pharmacist.

Most of the Thais I know with money send their kids to England. My wife studied at high school and university there. England is first choice. I was surprised to see my uni at only 61st.

If they send them abroad they go UK or USA - but lots of them also opt for Chula or Thammasat.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2010-2011/top-200.html

this is the actual top 200 universities.

0 thai universities.

People kid themselves thinking thai universities matter.

My friend is taking a class at a good thai university, in his exams some of the answer had no RIGHT CHOICE. every answer was wrong.

best you could get is B+ and if you wanted A you'd have to pay the teacher.

But the sucessfull thais are those who went to top american universities or the rare oxford/cambridge

not bashing UK unis, but USA's are way better.

UK's top universities are closer to canada's imo.

Edited by ilyelol

Let's put this in the context of living in Thailand vs. overseas.

Not in your lifetime nor the lifetime of your children will there be a half-Thai Member of Parliament (MP).

But your child can come to America at any age and become a member of Congress after becoming a citizen (which is easy here).

Therein lies the social contrast, based entirely on race.

Being a luuk krung, I reckon your comments are a crock.

Others have already mentioned the politicians who are luuk krung. Most though, I think, would just be too disillusioned to become an MP. I mean, why would you want to, with a salary of 120,000 baht per month? Much easier and less compromising ways to make much more money.

I've had no trouble fitting in, working both sides of the fence so to speak - and given numerous opportunities to 'fit in'. At various times in my career, I've been a senior advisor to government, often relied on to explain to foreigners why a particular idea won't work or explain the local context of a situation. Very much considered on the 'Thai' side of the team.

By no means am I buddhist, look Thai in any particular way (am 6' 2'') with a farang wife and two kids with blond hair and blue eyes - and my clients know this. I wouldn't know what was happening on the latest soap opera nor could I tell you what is the top of the pops on Thai charts. I still manage to do OK.

What most businesses and other government bodies are looking for are competence and experience in who they deal with. This can actually be found in spades locally anyway, and amongst a certain breed of expats in Thailand who are doing very well for themselves in all range of fields. The days of incompetent well connected elites, or shoddy foreign advisors - though still here - are fast disappearing.

i think too many people are transfering their own stuggles in thailand to the so called plight of luuk krungs. To be successful in Thailand - in whatever field - you basically just have to get on with it. Most luuk krungs will start life in Thailand in a relative poisition of advantage - it is up to them to make the most of it, just like anyone else.

Very refreshing insight. And, apparently, from a qualified individual.

Thanks for keeping the hope alive.

So what you guys are saying is that luk kruengs are just like the other 99.99999999% of the population which does not have the required connections and ability to make it in politics and high society?

So I suppose that if they were raised in the West they would all be Senators and Judges?

Very silly topic.

It's comical that people are talking about education in terms of your ability to become an elite player in Thailand. Thaksin went to the prestigious West Kentucky University and then he was such a genius that he turned his degree in policing to a billion dollar fortune. He self taught himself the satellite business! Come to think of it, there sure are a lot of Rich policeman and Army men in Thailand.

No, no, no. It's all about your intellectual abilities when it comes to making it in Thai politics and high society. :)

Doesn't hurt to be connected in any country. Have you ever heard that Obama is related to six other former U.S. Presidents?

Me neither... until today, after reading Wikipedia that Obama's grandfather on his mother's side, Stanley Armour Dunham’s distant cousins include six US presidents: James Madison, Harry Truman, Lyndon Johnson, Jimmy Carter, George H. W. Bush and George W. Bush, through a common ancestor, Mareen Duvall, a wealthy Huguenot merchant who emigrated to Maryland in the 1650s. Stanley Dunham is also related to former Vice-President Dick Cheney (an eighth cousin once removed).

So it helps to be born with a silver spoon in your mouth regardless of mixed race or silver foot in your mouth as is the case with George Bush.

Doesn't hurt to be connected in any country. Have you ever heard that Obama is related to six other former U.S. Presidents?

Me neither... until today, after reading Wikipedia that Obama's grandfather on his mother's side, Stanley Armour Dunham's distant cousins include six US presidents: James Madison, Harry Truman, Lyndon Johnson, Jimmy Carter, George H. W. Bush and George W. Bush, through a common ancestor, Mareen Duvall, a wealthy Huguenot merchant who emigrated to Maryland in the 1650s. Stanley Dunham is also related to former Vice-President Dick Cheney (an eighth cousin once removed).

So it helps to be born with a silver spoon in your mouth regardless of mixed race or silver foot in your mouth as is the case with George Bush.

Wow, only had to go back 350 years; I suppose you go back that far and you could connect just about anybody to anybody (especially using criteria such as 'eighth cousin once removed')...after all that's only some 17 generations.

I think Look krungs will struggle to get good jobs as most employers would rather give full Thais the job thinking that being a look Krung, your rich father will take care of you. I doubt you will ever see them in the police or army, mostly employed in the tourist sector for their better english skills.

I have only ever seen one working a normal job, as a pharmacist.

Perhaps if one was running a charity, but I've found the opposite to be true. Jobs tend to get sorted priority wise to the children of the most well off, most important, and connected (and that includes luk krungs) in terms of business and politics (and that doesn't have to mean top tier politics). Anytime you give a job to the child of someone who might be of benefit in the future, it's like a deposit/credit in the "favor bank" which is alive and well here (and many other places in the world).

With all of the legal barricades to some groups of foreigners though (in terms of immigration and labor law), it's understanding why there may be a lack of "successful" parents pushing their half foreign children through the system. Many decide it's not worth it and send them abroad, and of course many are simply not successful enough to make the push or provide backing for their children.

I hope that's not interpreted in a condescending tone... I think it's a realistic point of view.