Look Kreungs

MZurf

It seems that many of the posts assume Thailand isn't going to change much over the next 5-10 years. I think its fairly obvious that the beginnings of a massive social, and political change have already started. As the education system improves,and more thais venture out of the country, and return married, the population mix will change. But coming from Oz I'm used to living in a long established multicultural society, so seeing a diversity of race and culture on the streets is normal.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

one would think these luk kruengs are from dysfunctional relationships between you know and dodgy farangs!

Without a doubt & it's much easier for the " Father ", & i really los ethat term loosely, to " do the off "..

Disgusting but happens all over the World..

Anyway, with regard to the OP, i very much dount if most will be bi lingual at all, the people i know, their Kids speak horrific English..

One Fella i know speaks to his Kids in teh worst Thai imaginable, his " Wife " speaks to them in the worst English imaginable & yet they have a Nanny who speaks to them in grunts which is allegedly Burmese, i kid you not, what chance have the Kids got ??

The oldest is 3 & a half & reminds me of a deaf & dumb Child..

& if you're reading this, it's true & you need to sort it out..:)

I never spoke to my children in"Tinglish", always used correct English. My children are fluent in 3 languages( Thai, English and isan).Currently, they are studying in Oz..They are lucky, in that in Oz., they are living in amongst many Thais, so use their Thai and Isan daily. Yes, indeed there are many changes happening in Thai society, just look at the number of Look Krueng pop and movie stars. Certainly the first generation of Look Krung , had a very tough time(Think Vietnam War).But my children were fully integrated into Thai society and had no problems in their formative years, at school here in Thailand. ,etc...And readily adapted into their new environment, when they went to Oz. to study.

Just finished drinking my coffee with my wife in her little park cafe where l met her.:rolleyes:

And please you one of the best wise ones here can you explain why people put 5555555 is it because they cannot go any further.:whistling:

Well the word for 5 in Thai is ha, so 555 is hahaha. It is a local variant on lol.

Thanks very much for that. I see 5555 all over the place and never had a clue what it meant. I didnt want to ask what it meant in case I came across as old, out of touch and 'uncool'. Obviously that would never do.

The answer is "Globalisation"... and it's not only happening in Thai Society - look into central and western european societies...the US of A!

it's about time that these limitations and borders go FOREVER!

Lets hope your child gets nowhere near political office if he/she thinks like you ..... the problem is globalisation.

Personally I find the way that Thais accept half-Thai/half-farang people to be quite refreshing. I understand that the term Luk Krung generally refers to half-Thai/half-western, but am I wrong in thinking that it actually refers to half-Thai/half .... anything other than Thai? Is it only half Thai - half non-Asian that qualifies as a Luk Krung?

It seems that many of the posts assume Thailand isn't going to change much over the next 5-10 years. I think its fairly obvious that the beginnings of a massive social, and political change have already started. As the education system improves,and more thais venture out of the country, and return married, the population mix will change.

How I very much wish that you were correct, but I don't see much change happening anytime soon. The government education system, while maybe improving slightly is still abysmal compared to developed countries. As long as the poor kids get lousy (or no) educations at the government schools and the wealthier kids get better educated at the private ones paid for by more affluent parents the cycle of disparity between socio-economic classes will continue. The upper classes have repeatedly shown that they like being on top and want no part of changing the present system to a more egalitarian one. Any efforts by the "peasants" to change things will continue to be met by measures to prevent them from doing so.

Both my girls will have British, Aussie and Thai nationality, a university education in the country of their choice and will never have to worry about money. I suspect they are going to have a great impact on Thai society. My youngest was already on the cover of a magazine before she turned 1.

Both my girls will have British, Aussie and Thai nationality, a university education in the country of their choice and will never have to worry about money. I suspect they are going to have a great impact on Thai society. My youngest was already on the cover of a magazine before she turned 1.

I like your unbiased modesty.rolleyes.gif

I personally think if a child doesnt live here all, or at least the majority of his/her life she isnt Thai and wont make a difference ... and lots of these international kids are baseless and plain weird imho.

Your children will face the same problems as every other Thai, and I am surprised no one has yet mentioned it, surname.

Groongthep has already alluded to it, you know your place in society, now get back to the rice fields.

only place it will affect is the thai barscene. ive already noticed fairer eyes among those available for in room chatting.

one would think these luk kruengs are from dysfunctional relationships between you know and dodgy farangs!

maybe if you looked outside the sewer you'd see less rats

When I am out with my kids I have found 90% of Thais to be charming, and I don't expect this to change.

The difference is that if you are professional in Bangkok and mix with other professionals, then people don't care if you are Thai, farang or a mix. I'm not interested in drinking with blokes that wanna piss and moan about Thailand and how they have never been given a fair go, and I can hear this in a lot of the posts on this forum. I'm here to make money, have a good time and make sure my kids are given every opportunity.

Just finished drinking my coffee with my wife in her little park cafe where l met her.:rolleyes:

And please you one of the best wise ones here can you explain why people put 5555555 is it because they cannot go any further.:whistling:

Well the word for 5 in Thai is ha, so 555 is hahaha. It is a local variant on lol.

Thanks very much for that. I see 5555 all over the place and never had a clue what it meant. I didnt want to ask what it meant in case I came across as old, out of touch and 'uncool'. Obviously that would never do.

Rubbish man !!! if you want to know something ask, that's what Thaivisa is for, somebody tell me different, l did not know what LOS meant till l asked.

l thought it was short for someone living in Los Angeles or slang for Laos, no one is more cool than me.:rolleyes:

Let's put this in the context of living in Thailand vs. overseas.

Not in your lifetime nor the lifetime of your children will there be a half-Thai Member of Parliament (MP).

But your child can come to America at any age and become a member of Congress after becoming a citizen (which is easy here).

Therein lies the social contrast, based entirely on race.

Not in your lifetime nor the lifetime of your children will there be a half-Thai Member of Parliament (MP).

There already have been and there currently are. I'm not a big fan of Thai tv, but one is a former actor (curly haired fellow). And there was Mechai Viravaidya as mentioned. That girl known as n'Bamm is only 3/4 Thai (and 1/4 'falang') if I recall, she's in Banharn's party.

But again, most of them don't have a power base nor backing. They are exceptions like a few thousand household name successful African Americans, they are merely the tip of a iceberg that is mostly hopelessly underwater. Probably not the best idea to point at them and declare that things are going great and looking up.

:)

But your child can come to America at any age and become a member of Congress after becoming a citizen (which is easy here).

John Ungpakorn is half British and half Thai. He is currently and has been for some years, a member of the Thai Senate.

Being a luuk krung, I reckon your comments are a crock.

Others have already mentioned the politicians who are luuk krung. Most though, I think, would just be too disillusioned to become an MP. I mean, why would you want to, with a salary of 120,000 baht per month? Much easier and less compromising ways to make much more money.

I've had no trouble fitting in, working both sides of the fence so to speak - and given numerous opportunities to 'fit in'. At various times in my career, I've been a senior advisor to government, often relied on to explain to foreigners why a particular idea won't work or explain the local context of a situation. Very much considered on the 'Thai' side of the team.

By no means am I buddhist, look Thai in any particular way (am 6' 2'') with a farang wife and two kids with blond hair and blue eyes - and my clients know this. I wouldn't know what was happening on the latest soap opera nor could I tell you what is the top of the pops on Thai charts. I still manage to do OK.

What most businesses and other government bodies are looking for are competence and experience in who they deal with. This can actually be found in spades locally anyway, and amongst a certain breed of expats in Thailand who are doing very well for themselves in all range of fields. The days of incompetent well connected elites, or shoddy foreign advisors - though still here - are fast disappearing.

i think too many people are transfering their own stuggles in thailand to the so called plight of luuk krungs. To be successful in Thailand - in whatever field - you basically just have to get on with it. Most luuk krungs will start life in Thailand in a relative poisition of advantage - it is up to them to make the most of it, just like anyone else.

Edited by samran

Privy Councillor Siddhi Savetsila (born 1919) was not just a member of parliament, but a Foreign Minister under the Prime Ministerships of General Prem and General Chatichai. http://en.wikipedia....iddhi_Savetsila

His English blood came from John Alabaster, who initially came to Thailand as a British diplomat, before returning as a personal advisor/chief translator for King Rama V.

post-63971-064799400 1288484765_thumb.jp

Privy Coucillor Santi Thakral (born 1942) is a former president of the Supreme Court. He is the son of an Indian Sikh (does that count as "Luk Krung"? - or is the term only applied to those with Ango/European blood, with a different term for the children of Indians or Chinese?)

post-63971-070325900 1288486634_thumb.jp

I think Thai Sikhs and Indian Thais in general have already proven they can and have risen to the top (at least in terms of owning/controlling swaths of key metro real estate and SET/captain of industry presence).

As mentioned, it's easier when you can form social and support organizations that can say "We're all Sikh here..." or "We're all Sae Koo family members from Gek Yia village in China..." as opposed to organizations that could at best say "We're all half Thai and some other random foreign nationality..."

I think Thai Sikhs and Indian Thais in general have already proven they can and have risen to the top (at least in terms of owning/controlling swaths of key metro real estate and SET/captain of industry presence).

As mentioned, it's easier when you can form social and support organizations that can say "We're all Sikh here..." or "We're all Sae Koo family members from Gek Yia village in China..." as opposed to organizations that could at best say "We're all half Thai and some other random foreign nationality..."

Heng, there are many Look Kreung or/and Thais with some European blood at the "top".

From your postings, it sounds like you have a pretty low opinion of Look Kreungs, I wonder why?

Privy Councillor Siddhi Savetsila (born 1919) was not just a member of parliament, but a Foreign Minister under the Prime Ministerships of General Prem and General Chatichai. http://en.wikipedia....iddhi_Savetsila

His English blood came from John Alabaster, who initially came to Thailand as a British diplomat, before returning as a personal advisor/chief translator for King Rama V.

My "Thai" wife is also related to John Alabaster. He was reponsible for starting and developing the Thai postal system among other things. My grandmother-in-law is Look Kreung and was brought up in Chitlada palace.

I think they will affect Thailand as they affected the rest of the planet. The strong come from the widened gene pool. Sure, many of them will be born into difficult circumstances - for obvious reasons, but genetically they will be strong and make Thailand a culturally and genetically richer and more diverse, hence evolved society.

I'm sure there's something in this widened Gene Pool thing.

I was always a 'Could do better' student. possibly a 'B' student but certainly not an 'A' student.

naturally I'm proud of my daughters but I don't pressure them educationally, I'm more concerned that they have a happy Childhood. Saying that my eldest is 'top of the Class' in all her subjects, all of them. She certainly didn't get it from me and although her mother is intelligent, she's certainly not an 'A' student either.

some of her peers are under enormous pressure to excel at school. Some of the parents will spend a lot more on education than I do/Will.

I suspect there will become a time when they are seen as just Thai, and not luk Kreung.

My 3 went through college for free based on their grades in high school. They certainly didn't get it all from me.

Heng, there are many Look Kreung or/and Thais with some European blood at the "top".

From your postings, it sounds like you have a pretty low opinion of Look Kreungs, I wonder why?

I didn't say there weren't any, I said they weren't well represented.

I have both high and low opinions on plenty of issues like anyone else. Some of my best friends are half Thais, more than a couple ex girlfriends before I got married are as well, varying levels of success like anyone else, but very few if any had the drive/ability (again, that's including a social and family support system) to take it to the next level. Just keeping it real.

Edited by Heng

Most of them with a mother from Isaan though. I don't think they'll have much impact.

If there are a lot from well-off/educated Thai-Chinese mothers (or fathers) I think it will be good for Thailand.

Are you for real?

I can see absolutely no reason why my kids can't have much impact.

If you think that all women from Isarn are stupid, you're a ****ing ****