Look Kreungs

MZurf

:rolleyes:

Regarding "Look Kreungs":

It isn't new to Thai Society. Go back in Thai history and you will find examples of those Thai/Dutch, Thai/German, Thai/French...and so on mixes that made an impact on their time. Not to mention the Thai/Burmese and Thai/Cambodian mixes that held high positions in Thai society as advisors to the Royal family in their time. Add to that the Thai/Chinese contingent, and you will see what I mean. The reality is that Thailand has always has sucessful "Farangs" among it's society. (Irregardless, of what the common belief may be).

Question: Why are limiting your view to Thai/European mixes?

Also, my Thai girlfriend was previously married to a guy whose ancestry was from a family that started out in England, moved to Australia, then moved to India (in the days of the British Empire), then to Burma, then to Thailand after the 2nd world war. that makes her childen, by her first marriage, a mix of British, Australian, Indian, Burmese, and Thai. The family was never "prominent", but they are a part of Thai society, aren't they?

The point: Thailand has ALWAYS had a multi-cultural society since "foriegners" were living in Thailand...at least a thousnad years or so. It's not new.

:rolleyes:

Edited by IMA_FARANG

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think Look krungs will struggle to get good jobs as most employers would rather give full Thais the job thinking that being a look Krung, your rich father will take care of you. I doubt you will ever see them in the police or army, mostly employed in the tourist sector for their better english skills.

I have only ever seen one working a normal job, as a pharmacist.

you obviously don't get out much.

The presumption here seems to be ,that there are heaps of adult look krung in Thailand.There aren't. My son is 19,now. He is one of the oldest L.K. in Thailand. Of the current generation. When, about 12 years ago ,we moved to live in Our small village,in C.Buriram .He was it ,one only, in our Amphur. Now, in our Amphur. there are around 30, yes thirty,that I know of , that have an English speaking father. Of the Europeans ,I don't know, but there many Europeans here, as well. . How many in all of Thailand? I don't know. I would love to know.I suspect now ,it must be thousands.

quoted..................

"Most of the Thais I know with money send their kids to England. My wife studied at high school and university there. England is first choice. I was surprised to see my uni at only 61st."............

........................................................................................................................

:wai:

Most of the Thais I grew up with, after finished high school ( called Mor 8 at that time), one was sent to England and the other one to school in German. The rest of my classmates gone to Thamasart, Chula, Kasetsart. Went on to further their study in graduated schools, mostly in USA that what I remember.

More than half THAT gone to the US, after graduating, got a job, settled down and raised fheir family, and continue living in many States up until present. Only two came back to teach at Thamasart and Ramkamhang.

My point is, in the eye of the world, top Thai universities may not seen highly as much as an academy elite, but those who gone to get advance degrees in USA or in other western Uni were doing quite well, leading a good life with some financial secure. What more could you ask ?:rolleyes:

My two cents.:P

The presumption here seems to be ,that there are heaps of adult look krung in Thailand.There aren't. My son is 19,now. He is one of the oldest L.K. in Thailand. Of the current generation. When, about 12 years ago ,we moved to live in Our small village,in C.Buriram .He was it ,one only, in our Amphur. Now, in our Amphur. there are around 30, yes thirty,that I know of , that have an English speaking father. Of the Europeans ,I don't know, but there many Europeans here, as well. . How many in all of Thailand? I don't know. I would love to know.I suspect now ,it must be thousands.

I agree with you. Many here argue that we don't see a big impact on Thai society today, except in the entertainment industry. But I would argue that if there will be a noticeable impact it will come when today's huge number of teenage (and younger) look kreungs will be in their 40's.

As far as my thoughts are concern I think MOST of luekkhrungs will be an asset for Thailand in future regard less of their half origins if they keep their Thai nationalities, and I hope with my fingers crossed that MOST of them will be very highly educated and sober.

Edited by skyaslimit

I agree with you. Many here argue that we don't see a big impact on Thai society today, except in the entertainment industry. But I would argue that if there will be a noticeable impact it will come when today's huge number of teenage (and younger) look kreungs will be in their 40's.

Where are you getting this "huge number" from? Even if there are over a hundred thousand luk kreungs (which I seriously doubt) it's a drop in the bucket of 60 million people. Half those LK's might end up with absentee fathers/mothers as well and all sorts of emotional/economic problems from being raised in a multiracial home in Thailand.

Edited by wintermute

why many thai farang luk kruengs have thai surnames instead of farang surnames, father being a foreigner , e.g Palmy , Chuvit Kamolvisit, Ann Thonprasom, Sunny Suwanmethanon ..etc

Does this mean that their fathers deserted them while they were unborn, leaving no choice for the mother to adopt their own thai surnames?

Where are you getting this "huge number" from? Even if there are over a hundred thousand luk kreungs (which I seriously doubt) it's a drop in the bucket of 60 million people. Half those LK's might end up with absentee fathers/mothers as well and all sorts of emotional/economic problems from being raised in a multiracial home in Thailand.

Are you a father of a L.K.? I am .You are speaking a load of rubbish. Yes ,there are some with no father on the horizon, but the vast majority do have. They seem to be well adjusted and integrated into Thai society Economically ,they are way ahead . Because the Farang father has made big capital investments here. Some, like me have also sent their children overseas , for a better education..

why many thai farang luk kruengs have thai surnames instead of farang surnames, father being a foreigner , e.g Palmy , Chuvit Kamolvisit, Ann Thonprasom, Sunny Suwanmethanon ..etc

Does this mean that their fathers deserted them while they were unborn, leaving no choice for the mother to adopt their own thai surnames?

Palmy and Ann yes (cute talented women, but you can clearly see the sadness that they pull from to promote their trade... especially with Ann, she can cry on a dime). No idea who Sunny is. Chuwit's household is a "normal" local household where the Chinese father chose to adopt a local surname in the ol' Thai Chinese modus operandi (along the same lines as the founders of the major Thai banks, steel mills, rice mills, etc.).

:)

Rubbish . Most have a Farang name. In my case , however ,WE decided that if we had a son he should have a farang name. If we had a daughter, she would take her mothers surname. And that is exactly what happened. My children are very happy with that arrangement. My son sometimes complains ,because my surname is LONG.555555 Both have Western given names.

As for which 'most' one thinks is more numerous: between luk krungs from broken homes (who often end up changing their names) or at least have 'less solid' foundations for future success versus those from standard nuclear families depends on which logic you buy into:

A)

-That the pairings between those from relatively different educational/cultural/economic produces more failed marriages than not.

-That there are in fact more families with the above characteristics than not.

-Coming from such a background can be a negative in terms of development potential.

B )

-Most luk krungs come from families there the mother and father are from similar educational/cultural/economic backgrounds and thus provide more stable environments in addition to being able to provide 'best of both world' opportunities for children to develop and succeed.

-Even if not from such a background, coming from a family that has the characteristics of group A (above) is actually a positive.

One's results will vary, and it could be 'argued' either way. But to keep it real (IMO), there are far many more who fall into group A than not.

Edited by Heng

As for which 'most' one thinks is more numerous: between luk krungs from broken homes (who often end up changing their names) or at least have 'less solid' foundations for future success versus those from standard nuclear families depends on which logic you buy into:

A)

-That the pairings between those from relatively different educational/cultural/economic produces more failed marriages than not.

-Coming from such a background can be a negative in terms of development potential.

B )

-Most luk krungs come from families there the mother and father are from similar educational/cultural/economic backgrounds and thus provide more stable environments in addition to being able to provide 'best of both world' opportunities for children to develop and succeed.

-Even if not from such a background, coming from a family that has the characteristics of group A (above) is actually a positive.

One's results will vary, and it could be 'argued' either way. But to keep it real (IMO), there are far many more who fall into group A than not.

:)Nonsense. The failure rate , where I live is substantially lower than the "western" divorce rate, with its attendant Psych. problems. As I said before, economically, L/K. children are way ahead of their Thai counterparts ,as the fathers have made big capital investments here.

A)

B )

:)Nonsense. The failure rate , where I live is substantially lower than the "western" divorce rate, with its attendant Psych. problems. As I said before, economically, L/K. children are way ahead of their Thai counterparts ,as the fathers have made big capital investments here.

Yeah, like I said, one's results/experiences may vary. In your opinion, more foreigners have been able to circumvent or overcome the legal barriers to permanent immigration and investment than have not then?

What are you talking about? Legal Barriers? the younger fathers are still working.Venture here for a few months at a time, on a tourist visa, then go back to work,earn money ,,make further Capital Investments. Some ( over 50 years of age) are retired and on 1 year retirement visas.Your view ,as to Immigration and investment , quite frankly displays an ignorance of Thai law, of which we are only too well aware. Such as not being able to own land in our name.Can you understand, we have been through the Thai legal mill. Are very well aware of what we can and cannot do.You make no comment on the fact that these children are so far ahead, financially , their financial future is guaranteed.You make no comment about, although there are some relationship failures, it is much lower than the divorce rates in our home countries.With much fewer Psychological problems, as a result.

What are you talking about? Legal Barriers? the younger fathers are still working.Venture here for a few months at a time, on a tourist visa, then go back to work,earn money ,,make further Capital Investments. Some ( over 50 years of age) are retired and on 1 year retirement visas.Your view ,as to Immigration and investment , quite frankly displays an ignorance of Thai law, of which we are only too well aware. Such as not being able to own land in our name.Can you understand, we have been through the Thai legal mill. Are very well aware of what we can and cannot do.You make no comment on the fact that these children are so far ahead, financially , their financial future is guaranteed.You make no comment about, although there are some relationship failures, it is much lower than the divorce rates in our home countries.With much fewer Psychological problems, as a result.

You apparently feel that 'most' luk krung children have local business corporate entities representing their local capital interests and/or have offshore trust funds? No doubt that some do... I hardly think that's the norm though. The Samrans/Meechais/Steveromagnino's of Thailand are easily outnumbered by the n'Sai (Tata illegitimate sister), Ann, Palmy, etc. types. Note again I'm not saying they don't exist, no different from Thais from well to do backgrounds, but like them... they are simply not the majority.

Actually, what I more often come across are homes put into hock by mia farang without the foreigners knowledge or consent, perhaps when they are 'going back' to work and earn money. And then there are foreigners themselves running their businesses into the ground while trying to juggle rent overhead (for many while trying to avoid trying to 'own' their business location no doubt) and the other myriad quirks of the local business climate and who come to me in need of bridge financing (just the folks who randomly message me on this very board have been in the dozens). I'm not saying there aren't any success stories. Many of my foreign friends have done well here. You may have been through the mill... but the mill is still operating in full force and doesn't look to change any time soon. That leaves the corporate route or offshore route to pass wealth on to the next generation. That means luk krung kids that don't have that benefit automatically start life at square one. As for divorce and failure rates, there's no reason to think that the numbers aren't the same if not higher. There's no reason to think that the psychological issues wouldn't be the same if not worse.

As far as foreign success in Thailand over the long run... I'd bet on Eastern Europeans and Russians who arrive and build their foundations as couples (they most closely resemble the formula that foreign Indian and Chinese immigrants have used for a hundred+ years or so) or singles who bring their family 'over' later... far less likely to get sidetracked by a local relationship that can easily grow out of control like a cancer. Just IMO of course.

Edited by Heng

You apparently feel that 'most' luk krung children have local business corporate entities representing their local capital interests and/or have offshore trust funds? No doubt that some do... I hardly think that's the norm though. The Samrans/Meechais/Steveromagnino's of Thailand are easily outnumbered by the n'Sai (Tata illegitimate sister), Ann, Palmy, etc. types. Note again I'm not saying they don't exist, no different from Thais from well to do backgrounds, but like them... they are simply not the majority.

Actually, what I more often come across are homes put into hock by mia farang without the foreigners knowledge or consent, perhaps when they are 'going back' to work and earn money. And then there are foreigners themselves running their businesses into the ground while trying to juggle rent overhead (for many while trying to avoid trying to 'own' their business location no doubt) and the other myriad quirks of the local business climate and who come to me in need of bridge financing (just the folks who randomly message me on this very board have been in the dozens). I'm not saying there aren't any success stories. Many of my foreign friends have done well here. You may have been through the mill... but the mill is still operating in full force and doesn't look to change any time soon. That leaves the corporate route or offshore route to pass wealth on to the next generation. That means luk krung kids that don't have that benefit automatically start life at square one. As for divorce and failure rates, there's no reason to think that the numbers aren't the same if not higher. There's no reason to think that the psychological issues wouldn't be the same if not worse.

As far as foreign success in Thailand over the long run... I'd bet on Eastern Europeans and Russians who arrive and build their foundations as couples (they most closely resemble the formula that foreign Indian and Chinese immigrants have used for a hundred+ years or so) or singles who bring their family 'over' later... far less likely to get sidetracked by a local relationship that can easily grow out of control like a cancer. Just IMO of course.

This whole post is a wank.What planet are you living on? Not the one we live on.Corporate entities? ludicrous. Juggle rent O/Heads.Absurd .Bridge financing.Absolute rubbish.Mortgages, total twaddle. We live in a cash society. No cash, no buy.Got it?.Most of us don't have nor want a debit card ,less a credit card. It appears you work in Finance. Well ,your lot are not looked upon very favourably ,down here. It's your lot what caused the G.F,C..Effect here?. For, the English, Europeans, Americans,you virtually halfed the exchange rate.That did cause a lot of distress.And still is.A major reason, most of us came here to live, was to escape your sordid world. Until you have come to understand our world, please stop insulting us with your inane comments. Come live with us for a few months .It will be a real eyeopener for you.

This whole post is a wank.What planet are you living on? Not the one we live on.Corporate entities? ludicrous. Juggle rent O/Heads.Absurd .Bridge financing.Absolute rubbish.Mortgages, total twaddle. We live in a cash society. No cash, no buy.Got it?.Most of us don't have nor want a debit card ,less a credit card. It appears you work in Finance. Well ,your lot are not looked upon very favourably ,down here. It's your lot what caused the G.F,C..Effect here?. For, the English, Europeans, Americans,you virtually halfed the exchange rate.That did cause a lot of distress.And still is.A major reason, most of us came here to live, was to escape your sordid world. Until you have come to understand our world, please stop insulting us with your inane comments. Come live with us for a few months .It will be a real eyeopener for you.

Nice tangent/side peddle but surely your feelings about my businesses have nothing to do with the discussion of luk krungs.

We were talking about the number of luk krungs from broken homes (and often by correlation those whose fathers were shafted by their mothers... inherently leaving little left for inheritance for the next generation: no matter what form you 'believe' it takes, whether land, cash, stocks, bonds, etc.) vs. those with solid family -and typically by direct correlation- and financial foundations. We were on that topically presumably trying to explain/ascertain why luk krungs seem to be under-represented (not nonexistent) in fields other than entertainment and even then in areas of upper management in all fields across the board.

You can't seem to answer the simple question which group do you feel are greater in numbers. It's a really easy question to answer, but some folks for some reason feel to need to dance around all over the place to avoid answering it. Will pass on coming to live with you for a few months, do you always throw that into debates and academic discussion?

Edited by Heng

Am I the only parent of a lk kid here who doesn't seem to expect my son to become a captain of industry or leader of government?

I'll be happy & consider my job done well if he grows up well rounded, decently educated to a level he decides beyond high school graduation, happy, hopefully in a job/career he enjoys regardless of what that might be and one day find a nice woman to marry & give me grandbabies to dote on & look after me in my old age.

All this talk & posturing over investments, education, making a mark, taking control blah blah blah, gives me a headache & makes me feel sorry for some posters kids, they have no idea how much pressure & expectation hovers over their young heads, god forbid the can't or don't want to aspire to such lofty elevations :ermm: :ermm:

Nice tangent/side peddle but surely your feelings about my businesses have nothing to do with the discussion of luk krungs.

We were talking about the number of luk krungs from broken homes (and often by correlation those whose fathers were shafted by their mothers... inherently leaving little left for inheritance for the next generation: no matter what form you 'believe' it takes, whether land, cash, stocks, bonds, etc.) vs. those with solid family -and typically by direct correlation- and financial foundations. We were on that topically presumably trying to explain/ascertain why luk krungs seem to be under-represented (not nonexistent) in fields other than entertainment and even then in areas of upper management in all fields across the board.

You can't seem to answer the simple question which group do you feel are greater in numbers. It's a really easy question to answer, but some folks for some reason feel to need to dance around all over the place to avoid answering it. Will pass on coming to live with you for a few months, do you always throw that into debates and academic discussion?

Your businesses? They certainly do. You have as fine a set of blinkers as I have seen.Interesting, most of the "broken homes" as you call them,are childless couples.Or very old men taking up with very young girls.Often a dead set recipe for financial disaster. Agreed?In our community, no break-ups have occurred,where L.K. are involved.And no ,mothers with L.K. here DO NOT shaft the fathers. Why no L.K.'s in the fields other than what you mention .I did explain that in an earlier post. The first wave of L.Ks , was during the Vietnam war, The fathers identity was not known by the mother. This group did suffer deprivation, My son was the first L.K. in our village and indeed in our Amphur.He is now 19. No more appeared, until about 12 years ago. Then they came in a rush.Now, there are over 30 with English speaking fathers. We also have a sizable European contingent, I do not know how many L.Ks they have.So, my son is the eldest of the L.Ks , which explains why they are not where you are looking for them.They are ALL still children.This is consistent in Isarn.I have friends in many other provinces in Isarn, Same situation.I have also, previously answered the question of the % of failed relationships. About 20 to 30% fail. Far lower than the Western Divorce Rate. I have never before suggested that someone should spend time here, I did so, because your ignorance is, quite frankly, amazing. I note that you not taken issue with any statements, I have made, bar "break-ups'.The simple question? the proof of the pudding > NO "break-ups " have occurred , involving Families with L.Ks. As explained above. We live on a very different planet to you.I would love for you to get out of your ivory tower and to do a practical course-101 -How relationships ,with L.Ks work in Isarn,. Best Wishes, Bill

Am I the only parent of a lk kid here who doesn't seem to expect my son to become a captain of industry or leader of government?

I'll be happy & consider my job done well if he grows up well rounded, decently educated to a level he decides beyond high school graduation, happy, hopefully in a job/career he enjoys regardless of what that might be and one day find a nice woman to marry & give me grandbabies to dote on & look after me in my old age.

Understandable but an incorrect extrapolation and assumption in my case. I use a visible example because it's just that, visible for a broad general audience to grasp. The hopes I have for my own kids aren't so different than yours. Myself I don't even plan to push them very hard in school, no need, I think they'll learn far more at home and working in the various family businesses. I know I did. I'm more than happy to have them skip school if it means an extra day or two on a family vacation. I'd bet they get more benefit from their travel experiences as opposed to another lesson or two in school.

Your a racist and fasict Heng.   All you do is look down and talk down to people and hide behind the 'oh, I have black, falang, Russian, or whatever friends.'   You're like a Thai veresion of a fake oh I'm all about the people and not racist American replublican.      

You do have a way of making people who argue with you sound like idiots though.   Gotta give you that.   

You should cut out your moronic smiley thing too.   It's infantile.    Youd be nothing without your inheritance, everyone around here knows it, your neighbors know it.    

And that's not just because of that loan thing from early this year.    Yeah, I know who you are and you know me.   I live a block away from you on the hill.   You needlessly embarrassed me in front of my family in public.   Where were your polite Thai face manners then hum?   Hypocrit!

that's a load off.   @feeling better already@

If you have something you want to get off your chest, feel free to stroll on over.

And I told you that business should be discussed in the office, it was your (IMO silly) idea to discuss it at a restaurant with your wife and kids in tow. Would you invite your loan officer at a bank to an expensive dinner and expect it to get you better results?

Will leave it at that.

:):):)

All this talk & posturing over investments, education, making a mark, taking control blah blah blah, gives me a headache & makes me feel sorry for some posters kids, they have no idea how much pressure & expectation hovers over their young heads, god forbid the can't or don't want to aspire to such lofty elevations :ermm: :ermm:

I was not arguing that L.Ks should become Captains of Industry. I was arguing that family relationships with L.Ks are remarkably stable. I did state ,that as their fathers made investments in In Isarn ,that the children would be Financially secure.As farmers, should they so desire. Up to them to choose their future.Heng never answered or commented on anything ,,I wrote, except to push the point that our L.K. family relationships are doomed, and the children of such relationships would be thrown some form of dungheap.By a rapacious mother ,hellbent on self destruction. Hopefully some readers may also, have sense of humour.

Your businesses? They certainly do. You have as fine a set of blinkers as I have seen.Interesting, most of the "broken homes" as you call them,are childless couples.Or very old men taking up with very young girls.Often a dead set recipe for financial disaster. Agreed?In our community, no break-ups have occurred,where L.K. are involved.And no ,mothers with L.K. here DO NOT shaft the fathers. Why no L.K.'s in the fields other than what you mention .I did explain that in an earlier post. The first wave of L.Ks , was during the Vietnam war, The fathers identity was not known by the mother. This group did suffer deprivation, My son was the first L.K. in our village and indeed in our Amphur.He is now 19. No more appeared, until about 12 years ago. Then they came in a rush.Now, there are over 30 with English speaking fathers. We also have a sizable European contingent, I do not know how many L.Ks they have.So, my son is the eldest of the L.Ks , which explains why they are not where you are looking for them.They are ALL still children.This is consistent in Isarn.I have friends in many other provinces in Isarn, Same situation.I have also, previously answered the question of the % of failed relationships. About 20 to 30% fail. Far lower than the Western Divorce Rate. I have never before suggested that someone should spend time here, I did so, because your ignorance is, quite frankly, amazing. I note that you not taken issue with any statements, I have made, bar "break-ups'.The simple question? the proof of the pudding > NO "break-ups " have occurred , involving Families with L.Ks. As explained above. We live on a very different planet to you.I would love for you to get out of your ivory tower and to do a practical course-101 -How relationships ,with L.Ks work in Isarn,. Best Wishes, Bill

hi Bill! :)

Nice try but I do regularly come into contact with a rather broad spectrum of folks (Issan based folks as well, both Thai and foreign). Family maintains business outposts in Khon Kaen, Galasin, and Somdet. I'm not one of those Bangkok is Thailand folks.

Broken homes and relationships are by no means limited to childless couples and large age difference relationships. Why would they be? And why would large age difference relationships automatically be childless? I've seen plenty of relatively old foreign parents bringing their kids to kindergarten and elementary school. I might live in an ivory tower, but I believe in managing by walking around.

Heng never answered or commented on anything ,,I wrote, except to push the point that our L.K. family relationships are doomed, and the children of such relationships would be thrown some form of dungheap.By a rapacious mother ,hellbent on self destruction.

I don't think you'll be able to quote where I said anything of the sort. It's not an even or odd argument either way. I'm talking about past and current trends up until now.

Somdet is a city in Galasin province. The first reference to Galasin indicates amphur muang. Some folks spell it with a 'K.'

Not meant to illustrate or represent all of Issarn by the way, but from those hubs, we do have to deal with quite a bit of Issarn (part of our non-finance businesses involves agricultural support product import and distribution).

Somdet is a city in Galasin province. The first reference to Galasin indicates amphur muang. Some folks spell it with a 'K.'

Not meant to illustrate or represent all of Issarn by the way, but from those hubs, we do have to deal with quite a bit of Issarn (part of our non-finance businesses involves agricultural support product import and distribution).

Some folks? every map spells it with a "K"..Both Thai and international .You are unique .The only person to spell it with a "G"