Long Time Overstay

I got a call today from a long time friend who it seems has let his visa run out about 4 months ago...

He is planning on going to Laos here in a couple of weeks and has said he was advised by one of the "visa run" companies that he wont have any problems as long as he has the 20 k on him at the border.

I have seen posts on here about a recent crack down on overstays and not sure if they are just rumors or the truth. Anyone have any first hand experience in the last couple of months ?

There has been a lot of talk about this over the last few weeks. From memory i think the whole issue was first beaten up by another media outlet running a somewhat sensationalised story that basically re-hashed the details of an existing law.

Apparently there is a clause within this law that mentions the chance of incarceration and deportation in overstay matters but apparently as long as the 20k fee is paid at a border point or airport the risk of these measures being taken out is pretty slim.

If you get caught out in the meantime without a visa i understand you could quite deservingly get the book thrown at you, so I guess some guys are getting very nervous, with good cause.

From what i can see, and from what i have read, the laws havent changed at all...same old same same, so im not sure why these guys are panicking since they have been taking the same risk all along..

If i was a suspicious and a typical thai visa poster i would suggest this rumour has been helped along by a few immigration officials, to errr...flush out the rats, so to speak...

and, oh i dont know, maybe the 20k pocket-fodder might have something to do with it. :whistling:

I heard that the visa run companies are doing a roaring trade at the moment. Each bus having at least 5 or so VERY long time overstayers on it.

Tea money or not, im all for this cleanout of the cheats. They make it hard for those of us who follow the laws.

If you deliberatley overstay long time and do get caught out..well...som num na is about all i can say

Edited by ozzieovaseas

There has been a lot of talk about this over the last few weeks. From memory i think the whole issue was first beaten up by another media outlet running a somewhat sensationalised story that basically re-hashed the details of an existing law.

Apparently there is a clause within this law that mentions the chance of incarceration and deportation in overstay matters but apparently as long as the 20k fee is paid at a border point or airport the risk of these measures being taken out is pretty slim.

If you get caught out in the meantime without a visa i understand you could quite deservingly get the book thrown at you, so I guess some guys are getting very nervous, with good cause.

From what i can see, and from what i have read, the laws havent changed at all...same old same same, so im not sure why these guys are panicking since they have been taking the same risk all along..

If i was a suspicious and a typical thai visa poster i would suggest this rumour has been helped along by a few immigration officials, to errr...flush out the rats, so to speak...

and, oh i dont know, maybe the 20k pocket-fodder might have something to do with it. :whistling:

I heard that the visa run companies are doing a roaring trade at the moment. Each bus having at least 5 or so VERY long time overstayers on it.

Tea money or not, im all for this cleanout of the cheats. They make it hard for those of us who follow the laws.

If you deliberatley overstay long time and do get caught out..well...som num na is about all i can say

Lets round'em all up and ship them back to where most originally came from - OZ :D

Long Overstay.... Fly to Phuket and head to Ao Chalong. Ask about the bars along the waterfront and up the side street, Capt Hooks is a good bet. You are looking for a ride to Malaysia. they'll take you for some money. Now get into Malayland no problem. Go to KL and begin the process of replacing a lost/stolden passport. A couple days and you can fly back to LOS cheapo on Air Asia... I'm not a boat runner or cruiser as they are called but I've been approached a number of times There is one bar the faces the sea wall, Tamarand Bar which is famous for crusers to hang out. I don't know if there is a business in doing the underground thing but it's done. I know a few people who have done and and a number of cruisers who have take people knowingly to evade the Immi Plod. The Immi issue is up to the Master of the boat and if you look into the wondow of the office you see understaffed and very nice looking girls. I'm sure people run drugs but I know that booze is a nice item!

In answer to the question, that is what they do.

I don;t approve but know lots of people whom are on looong overstays...

Me, I'm a totally above the boards guy, Thai DL and everything......

Not sure what they will do at the boarder, might be better off getting a cheap flight and fly out. Of course in any case he still needs to pay the 20K. if going to the boarder I suggest he does not go on a visa run bus, I have heard in the past that the police have stopped these buses checking for over stayers, might be worth the money to rent a car or hire a taxi if he is going to go to the boarder.

So, as per #7 above:

1. Leave the Kingdom illegally

2. Entry the bordering country illegally

3. File a false police report for lost passport

4. File a false application for 'lost' passport at respective Embassy

5. File a false Thailand Tourist Visa Application (Date of Previous Visit to Thailand)

... et cetera

Long Overstay.... Fly to Phuket and head to Ao Chalong. Ask about the bars along the waterfront and up the side street, Capt Hooks is a good bet. You are looking for a ride to Malaysia. they'll take you for some money. Now get into Malayland no problem. Go to KL and begin the process of replacing a lost/stolden passport. A couple days and you can fly back to LOS cheapo on Air Asia... I'm not a boat runner or cruiser as they are called but I've been approached a number of times There is one bar the faces the sea wall, Tamarand Bar which is famous for crusers to hang out. I don't know if there is a business in doing the underground thing but it's done. I know a few people who have done and and a number of cruisers who have take people knowingly to evade the Immi Plod. The Immi issue is up to the Master of the boat and if you look into the wondow of the office you see understaffed and very nice looking girls. I'm sure people run drugs but I know that booze is a nice item!

Seriously doubt this could work.

First, he'll need to get a replacement entry stamp for Malaysia in his new passport (to be done at Malay immigration after being issued a new passport. Will be hard to get when never entered Malaysia legally)!

Second, when re-entering Thailand they will immedeiately notice the lack of your departure in their computer system.

You will not be able to enter until that discrepancy is cleared, too many strange things come together, new passport, missing departure etc.

The person would most likely need to prove he left Thailand properly, i.e. boarding pass (or contact the airline) etc...

A bit drastic, just to avoid a maximum 20,000baht fine