Bangkok Survives But Round 2 Coming: Flood Crisis

webfact

FLOOD CRISIS

Bangkok survives but round 2 coming

By The Nation

gallery_327_1086_33516.jpg

More rain, runoff and high tides coming in early Nov

Bangkok survived yesterday's "perfect storm" scenario - when a combination of rain, runoff from the North and peak seasonal tides failed to raise the Chao Phraya River beyond its 2.5m-high flood barriers - but residents in riverside areas in other provinces weren't so lucky.

City officials remain wary about further rain and runoff from the North, as the capital faces another high tide period from November 6-10.

Hydro and Agro Informatics Institute director Royol Chitradon has suggested that runoff from the North be diverted to areas upstream and that water be released from dams at a lower rate - just as the Royal Irrigation Department said before the tidal peak yesterday.

"If we can't stop runoff from the North, all provinces on the banks of Chao Phraya River will be submerged," Royol said.

He suggested that the prime minister set up a special team with officials from all agencies to tackle the problem - as there was a lot of excess water to drain - and a national-level body was needed to coordinate timely responses.

Royol said HM the King had on Saturday instructed Rajaprachanukroh Foundation chairman Dissathorn Watcharothai to find ways to prepare for a major flood in Ubon Ratchathani, which would take place in three days and be worse than the Nakhon Ratchasima and Bangkok flood.

Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra yesterday inspected the flooding by helicopter yesterday. He was told that the river rose to 2.1 metres at Pak Klong Talad - less than the expected 2.3 metres. Water being released from the Chao Phraya and Rama 6 dams was flowing into the river at a rate of 4,652 cubic metres a second.

But about 1,000 families in 27 communities outside the area with riverside barriers still suffered flooding.

After his flight over Bangkok, Nonthaburi, Ayutthaya and Samut Prakan, Sukhumbhand expressed sympathy for flood victims, especially those in Ayutthaya. He said it would be a while before the water would recede, but the city was ready to help solve problems on request, as it was clear the situation in Bangkok was controllable today.

In the meantime city officials would work closely with the Royal Irrigation Department to manage runoff from the North so the amount of water released would be lower than 5,000 cubic metres a second, he said.

Bangkok's drainage and sewage department chief Sanya Chinimit said they would keep watching for flooding as water was still flowing down from the North and heavy rain falling. Bangkok would be on alert for another high-tide period from November 6-10 with a peak on November 8, which was tipped to be the year's highest. That could raise the Chao Phraya to 2.32 metres, he said.

Upriver, several provinces in the Chao Phraya basin continued to suffer flooding.

There was chaos in four tambons in Uthai Thani's Muang district yesterday after river overflows on Monday night made the area resemble a vast 1m-2m-deep lake and many residents fled their homes to stay in shelters on higher ground.

In Nonthaburi's Bang Kleuy district, Ban Sribundit 3 residents in Tambon Bang Kleuy were hit by a two-metre flood on Monday night and many couldn't move their belongings fast enough as they had not expected floodwater to go over makeshift dykes in minutes. Two GMC trucks were sent to evacuate elderly and sick villagers through the night.

A two-metre-high dyke also burst in Angthong's Muang district, which caused flooding in two villages in Tambon Phosa. Panicked residents were also forced to move to higher ground.

In Chaiyaphum in the Northeast, water from Chi River swept away a 16-metre bridge at Ban Noen Pho in Ban Kwao district. About 1,000 families were marooned and a large area of farmland flooded. Police in the town were also called to recover the body of a Tambon Na Fai resident, Boonpeng Khumkudkhamin, 35, who drowned while trying to catch fish in an irrigation canal.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-10-27

We live in a little rice / sugarcane village just north of Nakhon Sawan, and got flooded last week, 1 ft of water in every room of our home....the water receded and then Monday evening we had one of the worst storms I have witnessed since living here and the whole of the village was hit with flash floods...sat in 2ft of water at the moment as i type this. The last week as been a total nightmare...sun is shining and there is a chill in the air today and my wife reckons this is a good sign that there will be no more rain...I wish I could agree..LOL

Block

We live in a little rice / sugarcane village just north of Nakhon Sawan, and got flooded last week, 1 ft of water in every room of our home....the water receded and then Monday evening we had one of the worst storms I have witnessed since living here and the whole of the village was hit with flash floods...sat in 2ft of water at the moment as i type this. The last week as been a total nightmare...sun is shining and there is a chill in the air today and my wife reckons this is a good sign that there will be no more rain...I wish I could agree..LOL

Block

Wow...we'll all pray for better weather for you for sure!

Block

We should also pray that the electrician who wired your house did a proper job.....

Hey Block

Be careful sitting in 2 feet of water and working on the computer. With the electrical non-standards here you might soon be a burned roast!!!

I am in Nakhon Sawan and have been waiting for 2 years for a chill in the air .... not yet felt .... so lucky you.

Yesterday we were out looking at the surrounding area and many of the back roads were flooded and unpassible. Farmers trying to dry out their rice on the roads ... big disaster.

Monday was a really bad storm. Many parts of the city got flooded.

cheers

Block

We should also pray that the electrician who wired your house did a proper job.....

If his house is like a lot of Thai houses you won't find a outlet, switch, or electrical wire within 4 or 5 foot of the floor. But regardless, never a good thing to be flooded.

Edited by Pib

Block

sounds terrible, I hope you dry out soon. :( at least you have a little chill though.

Block

You have to admire thaivisa contributors. Not even having their home flooded with 2 feet of water is enough to stop them.