Bts

sgiandubh

Does anyone really know for sure when the extention to the BTS from Oh Nut onward will finally open. I understand that the lines and stations have been completed for some time but nothing seems to be happening.

I have heard that red Thaksin has got his paws in the system somewhere and is awaiting either payment or his "go-ahead". Or am I being cynical!

There was a delay in opening/finishing the stations on the other side of the river that was attributed to Thaksin's regime wanting to appear to be the ones handing out the benefit to the people and not BMA. I have heard nothing that would suggest this was the case with the opening of the extensions from Onnut outward.

August apparently.

The guy who was supposed to order the signaling system was due to retire.

So not to be accused of being on the take, he did not place the order.

Tracks have been ready for 18 months now.

I hope they can hurry this up.

Yes, it was the City Clerk that had to sign off on the purchase order for the electrical equipment. As his predecessor was stripped of his retirement due to signing off on the infamous fire truck purchase, he just left it on his desk until he retired.

On Nut BTS extension up in air as outgoing BMA official fears accusations of corruption

TH

There's a big sign on several of the BTS stations written in thai saying that the stations will open in August of next year, 2011. The reason given to the press was as written above. Seeing the number of overpriced and undersold condos in the area around On Nuut, there may be other reasons why the BTS extension stations are beginning to look weather beaten, if not old, before they are opened. Things may take awhile to do in Thailand, but it doesn't take a year and a half to install circuitry.

When it finally does open they better add an extra carriage or two. The BTS is already packed most mornings by the time it leaves On Nut.

yes, but most of the people climbing aboard at Onnut are from the areas where the other stations have been built, like me for example! I cant wait until it is open, it will save me much more time everyday. and I can even walk to the station from my house. wooppeeeeee :lol:

When that happens I will not mind leaving the car at home more often.

... Things may take awhile to do in Thailand, but it doesn't take a year and a half to install circuitry.

The installation is not the problem, it is the lead time on the manufacturing. Complex control systems can take up to two years to delivery. This one does seem to be rather extended.

TH

I would like to know what caused the entire silom line to be shut down this am during rush hour-roped off at siam station and no trains.

I heard awhile back they received a bunch more rolling stock but months later no sign of them and it goes without saying they are badly needed at rush hour.

Raised the fares but failing to match anything that resembles a raise in service levels.

When it finally does open they better add an extra carriage or two. The BTS is already packed most mornings by the time it leaves On Nut.

Is that even possible? The stations look like they are built for only 3 carriages, there is all that space at the end t hough where the benches are. Always theought that was weird, if you want to sit down you have to sprint to where you can enter the train when it arrives.

As I understand it, they are importing some 4 car trains from China (sacrificing reliability for capactity) and putting them on the Silom line, and moving the German 3 car trains onto the Sukhumvit line.

There are also long term plans to change the routes so that the Sukhumvit line runs through National Stadium on a new extension, and the Silom line will head up through Mor Chit.

I don't know of any plan to do it, but I'd like to see some of the old SRT suburban routes become part of a light rail network. Something like London's DLR would be perfect for the expanding metropolis.