Should We Take A Train Down South? Or A Plane?

engrin

We're heading down to Phuket/Ko Lanta etc in December and I was wondering if anyone has taken the train down south and whether it is worthwhile? "We" includes my 60 year old mom so it would have to be comfortable and have a lot of nice scenery otherwise we'll take the plane.

Thanks for your help :)

There is a train that goes close to phuket then you get a mini bus the rest of the way, but it's an sleeper so you won't get to see much scenery.

Travelled that route on a sleeper train about 5 years ago, nice scenery etc but definitely wouldnt recommend for 60 yr old Mum......take the plane !:)

I lived 4 years in Chumpon.

They have an airfield with no planes.

Thus take bus or train.

The morning diesel railcar is no fun, the night train sleeper is no fun neither.

Now I live near Udon Thani, have choice of 7 flights/day, train , bus: always take plane.

A friend of mine traveled to phuket by train during the night. According to him the bed and the compartments were comfortable and food was good too. You can also opt for bus which is not “that” comfortable but bit faster and cheaper as well. I am not aware of internal flights but if I come to know any, will surely let you know.

I would advise you to travel in the day time so that you can enjoy the view and the journey both.

There is a train that goes close to phuket then you get a mini bus the rest of the way, but it's an sleeper so you won't get to see much scenery.

You can get the 0820 train Bkk to Surat thani, about 8 hours +late arrival time. seats old and squashed and tiring. scenery ok, carriage service ok.

Then a drag at the station getting taxi to the town, then a bus to Phuket another few hours and its late then anyhow so you would have to stay overnight in S T if you want to see the scenery

Easiest is to fly to Phuket then look around, then bus to Krabi and then tour the islands and then fly back to Bkk from Krabi. You will see plenty of scenery this way.

I did the train 2 weeks ago and apart from being cheap if it goes where you want to go, its only other value is to save a nights accomodation when travelling

It would be a major hassle to go from Surat Thani railway station by bus to Phuket (240 KM, to Phuket town). Bussing from Bangkok to Phuket would be a 14 hours sit, and the scenery on the way is only moderately interesting. Take a cheap flight.

The overnight train's really pleasant and I intend to take it when I head for Phuket in a few days' time. The only scenery you see is early next morning when you wake up. Obviously it's a little tougher than flying but I'm only a few years off 60 myself.

Plus as well as food being brought round, the waiters bring buckets of beer cans packed in ice.

Bus has always been a pretty awful experience IMHO.

Edited by organic