Galaxy Tab - Any Thoughts ?

CharlieH

I was really hot to trot for the Galaxy Tab. But then I read this review in Techradar and cooled off in a major way.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/laptops-portable-pcs/laptops-and-netbooks/samsung-galaxy-tab-903545/review

I have found Techradar to be generally quite reliable and tech savvy, so consider this a major caution, particularly given the price of the device.

Well I got one!

And its great!

But not really a phone as the speakers for public. I suppose thats why they tried to sell me a bluetooth headset.

I Am only just getting it setup with my PC as the KIES Samsung app takes 2 hrs to download and failed overnite (of course!).

My intended use is by wifi only and am glad its not made by Apple (insane prejudice).

Why?

It's the same price as the iPad - and for all the Apple hating "because they're Apple" - if you actually use both devices, you will see the iPad has a better build - both hardware AND SOFTWARE.

Tab is running Android 2.2 - a phone operating system, which Google themselves have said isn't ready for tablets. At least wait until the next version of Android comes out and make sure Samsung update the Tab to support it.

Not many tablet-optimised apps, etc.

At this point Android is no go for tablets. Give it time :)

- Owner of Android phone, iPad and iPhone! keeping my options open!

Some reasons to choose TAB over an ipad/iphone solution

1) Actual multitasking

2) A higher DPI screen

3) A form factor thats better suited as an eReader and web browser

4) Size and Weight make it portable

5) No need to buy an app for every mundane task

6) No converting videos into dumb proprietary formats

7) And you can tether the Tab to your laptop for real on the go computing

8) Its not LOCKED by apples corporate policies (ask an Iphone 3g users about OS upgrades)

9) Its a phone (ipad is NOT)

Its not perfect, but the screen doesn't crack as easily as an apple Iphone 4 (well no reports yet).

A big negative (so far) the KIES software is CRAP, but when I think back about iTunes, it's to be expected on a first release.

Oh and more apps than soi dogs in bangkok!

To retort those arguments:

Some reasons to choose TAB over an ipad/iphone solution

1) Actual multitasking

My iPad/iPhone are jailbroken, so I can have this if I want. But actually the iOS multitasking seems fine, and is probably better for battery life.

2) A higher DPI screen

Yeah, fair enough

3) A form factor thats better suited as an eReader and web browser

For me, the iPad's 9.7 is perfect for these tasks. 7" would be too small for me.

4) Size and Weight make it portable

That's what my phone is for. My iPad doesn't need to fit in my pocket.

5) No need to buy an app for every mundane task

How is that any different on the tab to the iPad?

6) No converting videos into dumb proprietary formats

I use VLC on iPad so I don't need to!

7) And you can tether the Tab to your laptop for real on the go computing

See: jailbroken.

8) Its not LOCKED by apples corporate policies (ask an Iphone 3g users about OS upgrades)

See: jailbroken.

9) Its a phone (ipad is NOT)

Jeez, why would I want a 7" phone?! That's ridiculous.

Oh and more apps than soi dogs in bangkok!

Less than iOS at the moment though (but it's improving I know) - shame none are tablet optimised except the Samsung built in ones....

Really it's personal choice. And you'll notice I mentioned having JB'en the iDevices. If I couldn't do that I'd definitely think twice about using them.

But I can so it's fine!

So 5 days in my impressions are:

1) very stable OS, never crashed (apps is another matter).

2) can change sims with the lights on.

3) Samsung support for the TAB is CR@P! In fact its worse than that, even dead flies wouldn't be happy with it.

4) KEIS makes iTunes 1.0 look bug free.

5) There seems to be a lot of ipod stuff being ported over to android now.

6) Its has a cr@ppy short USB cable.

7) No case supplied.

8) Battery life seems to be shorter than advertised, seems even a darkened screen chews it up.

9) Lovely otherwise

The applications that fail are well handled by the TAB, thus force close is about as serious as it gets, no windows blue screen round this little baby.

I am no ap0ple expert, but after 3 ipods I thought it was time to branch out in a new direction and get something more flexible and this TAB sure is flexible.

Its not a phone replacement, but for B199 a month having the EDGE connectivity is fine by me, and VERY handy when all else fails (which is often when using wifi hotspots).

So 5 day summary:

Great device, safe to purchase, but don't expect much out of the box especially a decent manual/case. Its still cheaper than Holland!

Technophobic types would need assistance I think.

Well I got one!

And its great!

But not really a phone as the speakers for public. I suppose thats why they tried to sell me a bluetooth headset.

I Am only just getting it setup with my PC as the KIES Samsung app takes 2 hrs to download and failed overnite (of course!).

My intended use is by wifi only and am glad its not made by Apple (insane prejudice).

Did you buy it here in Thailand?... Did in come Rooted out of the box or did you have to root it yourself? if so was it difficult to find a root method...

There is one to play with at the Paragon Samsung store with the wifi connected & running - But the dizzy staff there are NO help and give a very wishy-washy one month in stock date... None of the regular stores have it in stock right now either... MBK vendors seem to have a good supply and are not really price gouging at 23,500...

Edited by sfokevin

Well I got one!

And its great!

Did you buy it here in Thailand?... Did in come Rooted out of the box or did you have to root it yourself? if so was it difficult to find a root method...

There is one to play with at the Paragon Samsung store with the wifi connected & running - But the dizzy staff there are NO help and give a very wishy-washy one month in stock date... None of the regular stores have it in stock right now either... MBK vendors seem to have a good supply and are not really price gouging at 23,500...

I got it in a shop called TG Mobile in Central Rama 2, 22,900.

I have not fiddled with the ROOT at all, I am not game enough and have yet to find a reason to.

• 7 months later...

I bought one for 3G use in Bangkok, as I have experimented on my laptop with TOT (through Mojo and Imobile) and True. Works well with DTAC 2G.... But no go with TOT despite the advertising, and sounds like Truemove won't be a goer either. Thus I'm feeling like a right twit at present.

Other than that, it connected up to wi-fi quite nicely and I am very impressed.

I hope there is a solution, But TIT, and I could be in for a tense day of renegotiation and upgrade to Ipad maybe.

I bought one for 3G use in Bangkok, as I have experimented on my laptop with TOT (through Mojo and Imobile) and True. Works well with DTAC 2G.... But no go with TOT despite the advertising, and sounds like Truemove won't be a goer either. Thus I'm feeling like a right twit at present.

I hope there is a solution, But TIT, and I could be in for a tense day of renegotiation and upgrade to Ipad maybe.

Assuming you have a Samsung Galaxy Tab P1000T (7") with 3G then you should be able to use both True (850 Mhz) and TOT/MVNOs (2100 Mhz) if coverage allows (metro-Bangkok + other select areas in the case of True).

Can you confirm the model number? (Open it up, look inside, maybe near/under the battery.) Did you buy this unit here in Thailand?

Actually in Bangkok TRUE has been active in Wi-Fi so in most downtown areas that will work I suspect. I bought a Wi-Fi model before school break and it has been a lifesaver for grandchildren (older sister takes over the desktop when here). As only use at home no need to pay for G3 model.

Thanks for your interest.

I have a GT-P1000T. Box states TOT/DTAC/Truemove. 850MHZ/2100MHZ.

I live around Fortune Town and bought it from a reputable shop in the Mall, I have bought other phones from here before no problem. I have used the card successfully every day with Ifox through my laptop and I don't think signalling is an issue.

There were no instructions, but I got talked through a process with a 'Mojo' agent but that didn't work either. Basically, all logcal steps have failed thus far.

I'll go back to the shop today.

I guess I'll just have to go over to True, but this is an expensive service compared to Mojo and Imobile.

Assuming you have a Samsung Galaxy Tab P1000T (7") with 3G then you should be able to use both True (850 Mhz) and TOT/MVNOs (2100 Mhz) if coverage allows (metro-Bangkok + other select areas in the case of True).

Can you confirm the model number? (Open it up, look inside, maybe near/under the battery.) Did you buy this unit here in Thailand?

Thanks for your interest.

I have a GT-P1000T. Box states TOT/DTAC/Truemove. 850MHZ/2100MHZ.

I live around Fortune Town and bought it from a reputable shop in the Mall, I have bought other phones from here before no problem. I have used the card successfully every day with Ifox through my laptop and I don't think signalling is an issue.

What version of Android do you have? Can you list the "baseband version" in Settings, About phone, baseband version.

OK, so you have working, valid MoJo and/or iMobile 3GX SIMs. You've tested and used those in your iFox aircard?

You've set up APNs for both/either MoJo and/or iMobile 3GX? Settings, Wireless and network, Mobile Networks, Access Point Names? Selected "Use Packet Data"? Set Network mode for GSM/WCDMA (auto mode)?

Thanks to all for the pointers. At the very least the advice helped me keep myself orientated and in check.

The problem was solved by a slip of a girl at the Imobile shop on 2nd floor of Fortune Mall.

It seems that it was about missing one small but vital phrase when configuring APN - namely '3g'.

Luckily she knew what to do as the reps at Mojo didn't, nor Imobile, nor the shop I got it from, and I don't think it was on any of the gumph they gave me.

So typical Thailand really!

Anyway, it's up and running and I am very impressed with this tablet.

I like the layout, and the way it can be hand held but still has a big enough screen. Great camera in my view and the movie facility is a bonus. Nice speaker sound for a mobile device too. I won't be needing high performance so it is ideal as a starter for me.

I love my Galaxy Tab, I paid 24K THB for it a few months ago... now they're down to 15K THB

It is just the right size, actually fits in my pocket, unlike an ipad.

Battery life is excellent, but be cautios if you plan to use 3G on it, because it does not cover the 850 MHz band that TRUE operate on

I love my Galaxy Tab, I paid 24K THB for it a few months ago... now they're down to 15K THB

Battery life is excellent, but be cautios if you plan to use 3G on it, because it does not cover the 850 MHz band that TRUE operate on

There are 2 versions you can buy in Thailand. One has 850 MHz.

• 1 month later...

There are 2 versions you can buy in Thailand. One has 850 MHz.

I bought a Galaxy Tab two months ago (now, down to 12K). How can you tell if yours has 850 MHz? (of course, I can't seem to connect to 3G, so I'm suspicious).