Thai Inter

mallyrd

I have been flying with TG for three or four times per year for some thirty years, both internationally and domestic in economy and business class and have never had a bad flight in all that time, even on full flights. In addition, only once have my bags been lost and even then it was only for 24 hours. Perhaps the difference in our experiences is that one of us is a pessimist and the other is an optimist.

I have been flying with TG for three or four times per year for some thirty years, both internationally and domestic in economy and business class and have never had a bad flight in all that time, even on full flights. In addition, only once have my bags been lost and even then it was only for 24 hours. Perhaps the difference in our experiences is that one of us is a pessimist and the other is an optimist.

I fail to see where pessimisim and optimisim fit into this picture.

I work for Etihad and hear from many ex business class and first class passengers that they used to fly Thai but because of old aircraft and inconsistent seating that they have switched over to us.

But we don't offer non stop service to Europe but have a 2 hour layover for change of crew in Abu Dhabi.

I reposition on many TG flights and have to say the service is good. In my view airline food is airline food, and even the flight crew bring our own on board.

Hah ! I flew Business-Class on TG CNX-BKK, as a treat to myself, a couple of years back, before cattle-class on Qatar.

On-arrival at Swampy we parked at the gate, where it was then discovered that the gate-equipment was faulty & inoperable, so some stairs were found & hitched-up at-the-back of the plane. Business-Class PAX were the last to exit the aircraft, no apology to those of us who were on a tight-connection, or had paid extra for upgraded-service. That's the last time I fly Bus-Class with TG.

The idea of parking at a working-gate in the first place, or putting the stairs at the right-hand front-exit (so we could get off first), was clearly way-over Thai Airways' staff's heads. Shades of 'more than my job's worth', or 'I'm not authorised to think for myself', or indeed to deliver good-service ! How do they expect to attract people paying 3-4 times the competition's economy-fares ?

Please please please let someone decent take over this formerly-proud airline, and bring it into the current century. :(

Edited by Ricardo

I fail to see where pessimisim and optimisim fit into this picture.

A pessimist is one who looks for the bad things in a situation while an optimist looks at the good ones. In this instance, I consider my initial response to be rather pertinent.

Hah ! I flew Business-Class on TG CNX-BKK, as a treat to myself, a couple of years back, before cattle-class on Qatar.

On-arrival at Swampy we parked at the gate, where it was then discovered that the gate-equipment was faulty & inoperable, so some stairs were found & hitched-up at-the-back of the plane. Business-Class PAX were the last to exit the aircraft, no apology to those of us who were on a tight-connection, or had paid extra for upgraded-service. That's the last time I fly Bus-Class with TG.

The idea of parking at a working-gate in the first place, or putting the stairs at the right-hand front-exit (so we could get off first), was clearly way-over Thai Airways' staff's heads. Shades of 'more than my job's worth', or 'I'm not authorised to think for myself', or indeed to deliver good-service ! How do they expect to attract people paying 3-4 times the competition's economy-fares ?

Please please please let someone decent take over this formerly-proud airline, and bring it into the current century. :(

Ricardo,

Firstly, the positioning of the aircraft on any particular gate and ensuring that it is operational is the responsibility of the Airports Authority of Thailand, not TG. I would imaging that TG was not aware of the malfunctioning of the aerobridge until the arrival and was not expecting to have to supply mobile stairs. Secondly, I would anticipate that since the aircraft was already at the gate, access to the forward doors was impractical due to them being blocked by the aerobridge. Hence the only access would have been via the rear exit. In these circumstances, it is common sense to evacuate the rear-most passengers first so that those passengers at the front of the plane would have easier egress than having to fight their way through a mass of economy class passengers.

It really amazes me how some people do not think things through before complaining about something that is totally beyond the control of the airline. I am sure that the poster from Emirates would agree with me.

Ricardo,

Firstly, the positioning of the aircraft on any particular gate and ensuring that it is operational is the responsibility of the Airports Authority of Thailand, not TG. I would imaging that TG was not aware of the malfunctioning of the aerobridge until the arrival and was not expecting to have to supply mobile stairs. Secondly, I would anticipate that since the aircraft was already at the gate, access to the forward doors was impractical due to them being blocked by the aerobridge. Hence the only access would have been via the rear exit. In these circumstances, it is common sense to evacuate the rear-most passengers first so that those passengers at the front of the plane would have easier egress than having to fight their way through a mass of economy class passengers.

It really amazes me how some people do not think things through before complaining about something that is totally beyond the control of the airline. I am sure that the poster from Emirates would agree with me.

I like the punters that book seats at the front of Bangkok Airways ATR turbo-props and look on their faces when they realise that the only doors are at the arse-end of the plane and although they may have been first to get on... they won't be first off.

Domestic of international the last flight for the day gets parked at the end of the ramp. Takes half an hour to get to the terminal.

Only because the staff does not bother to drop the passengers to the terminal before parking for the night.

Agree, highly annoying thus i have avoided taking the last flight in for years now...

I very rarely use Thai Airways but I have just flown my gf over, on her own, on her first ever flight.

She told me that at check in she was met by a staff member and assisted through the boarding procedure/customs etc. She was given a 'first time flyer' sticker to wear (I asked if she got crayons and she belted me) and said that the air crew were quite attentive.

Upon arrival in Brisbane she walked out without her bags, my initial horror was allayed when she pointed to a member of the staff carying her luggage for her.

I was worried that customs would ask her all sorts of questions etc and her english is not too flash. She said that the 'helper' had been with her all through the process and she didn't have to do a thing.

I was most impressed.

However, this of course doesn't mean I don't sympathise with your predicament.

I'm not sure what you expect to happen as a result of this letter, you didn't tell them what you want. You basically said, "I'm no longer an international customer and will likely give up being a domestic customer soon because of your poor service and high prices." All complaint letters should make a suggestion or request.

I think a better format for this type complaint is to first give your history with the airline, "I've used Thai Airlines for both international and domestic travel for X years totaling Y miles." The higher the numbers, the more likely they will take your mail seriously. Then state the problems, high costs a and poor service. After that, state your reaction to the problems, "I've decided to no longer fly with your airline.". Finally, tell them what they can do to make you a customer again, "Please consider .... so I return to being a loyal customer."

Dave.

I sympathise with your predicament too, Wallaby.

My experience with Thai Airways has always been positive so far. Their flights from Tokyo were always on time, good food, fantastic service, personal TV, and newest planes (A330). The e-ticket prices were also very competitive. I can fly to BKK now for about 500 USD, Economy. ( It helps of course than the Japanese Yen is very strong at the moment). I don't expect TG or any other airline to provide me with excellent services time and again. I have flown First Class with Emirates, Business Class with British Airways and KLM, Economy class with UA , Air Canada, ANA and Delta and IMHO, Thai Airways general service was the best in my experience. Maybe you just had a bad luck that day like someone had suggested.

Max2010,

My experience with Thai Airways has always been positive so far. Their flights from Tokyo were always on time, good food, fantastic service, personal TV, and newest planes (A330). The e-ticket prices were also very competitive. I can fly to BKK now for about 500 USD, Economy. ( It helps of course than the Japanese Yen is very strong at the moment). I don't expect TG or any other airline to provide me with excellent services time and again. I have flown First Class with Emirates, Business Class with British Airways and KLM, Economy class with UA , Air Canada, ANA and Delta and IMHO, Thai Airways general service was the best in my experience. Maybe you just had a bad luck that day like someone had suggested.

Max2010,

I meant to say I sympathise with Mallby. Sorry.

Max2010,

I meant to say I sympathise with Mallby. Sorry.

Lemme try this again; I sympathise with you Mallyrd. (note to myself, don't drink and type at the same time)

Apart from your complaint highlighting the higher than-usual prices, you come off as a sophomoric, pedantic whiner.

If you dont like the prices, go elsewhere. As far as the Green Curry.....this isnt Mom Tri's or The French Laundry, so stop moaning.

As far as what your letter will get you......nothing. I believe the airline will get on fine without you on their seats.

:whistling:

For whatever reason they choose, let me repeat once again what I have previously said:

Thai International does much of it's business through it's NETWORK OF KNOWN AND TRUSTED TRAVEL AGENTS and always has. You may think this is an "old-fashioned" way of doing business (and I agree) but it is Thai's choice, and is how they have always done business. For that reason the fares you see on Thai's website are NOT THE LOWEST POSSIBLE FARES you can get on a Thai flight...all classes included.

Just to illustrate...this year (last January to be exact), I was able to get a 300 Euro lower fare from Athens to Bangkok return economy fare on a Thai International from a travel agent in Greece than I was quoted on-line from Thai for the very same flight. Additionally, on the Thai website I was told I must book, confirm,and pay for the flight within 14 days...but I was allowed 30 days before I had to book/confirm/pay for that flight from my travel agent.

This happens because Thai offers special fare deals through it's network of trusted travel agents which are often not offered on line. The agent can then offer the best fare to his customers who travel on Thai international. The travel agent can make a litle profit on the deal, and therefore that travel agents likes Thai and recommends Thai to customers.

You may think that is stupid, you may say it's old-fashioned, you may say it's inconveinent to go through a travel agent; but that is how Thai International has done it's marketing for at least 30 years, and it isn't likely to change soon.

Just a word to the wise. As the Thai bargirls say, "Up to you".

:rolleyes:

Edited by IMA_FARANG