Kit Car Building..

LivinLOS

I have a hankering for a new toy and as I do very limited miles (low low low) I am thinking about selling my jeep and importing a kit..

Its my understanding importing kit parts / car parts is no problem but importing a car is.. So what happens about kit cars.. Can I build and register a car here ?? Any clues or links concerning what can be done..

I woud imagine it would be possible to buy a local donor car and keep it close to the origional ?? I could see that buying a Volkwagon beetle.. Putting a Baja Bug kit on it.. some big wheels and jacked suspension.. Spraying it up.. Big pipes and chrome detail the engine.. etc.. If it was built on a Thai regged Beetle anyway that would (I am guessing) work out ok..

But then what about turning a Beetle chassis into a beach buggy ??? I had a GT kits Manta ray when I was younger and it would be a fun little island car with some rental potential also.. But it would not look anything like the beetle even if it was on the beetle chassis (shortened the LWB buggies look like an old shoe).. How far down this line can you go ???

At what point is a donor car (domestic regged one) no longer the car it started out as ??

Although its plainly a dumb thing for this Island I have had a long term love affair with the 427 Cobra and have sworn that at some point I will own one (fake snake ok with me) but obviously this is a collection of kit parts.. If it is built in Thailand what registration is possible ??

Obviously lots of questions but I think you can see what I am thinking any hints, clues, links to chase, people to talk to etc welcome..

Also if a VW club exists Thailand ??

A very good topic.

I was looking at US kits last month and asking myself the same question when I read how cheap the kits were.

Even with shipping and 100% import tax it still worked out as a cheap car.

So does anyone know or is it up to the discretion of the Officier ?

A baja body kit is about 600 USD.. Jack up kit and some chrome engine parts prolly in the 40 - 50k baht range absolute tops..

Donor VW thats not nice cosmetically has to be in the 75 - 100 range max.. Another 40 for bare metal respray with good metallic / metal flake paints.. AC system for it..

Still around 200k for a ###### cool little island car freshly rebuilt..

A buggy kit complete would be more money but you could use a far rougher donor.. around 1500 - 2000 GBP gets a pre painted gel coat beach buggy kit with full bodywork.. need to shorten a VW chassis by a foot but again somewhere around the 200,000 - 250,000 would build a sweet little chromed up freshly made buggy..

Both nicely individual.. Both easy to maintain... Both using mostly base VW parts.. Nothing complex about them..

I belive that the last (type 1) bugs rolled of the line in mexico a couple of years ago. Parts are still available everywhere. Most of which are Brazillian made but you can get tons of aftermarket stuff.

The my race car still uses VW componants.

Edited by highonthai

Yeah the Mexican bugs were going until a few years back but the Beetle has been made for so long that they have crept into every corner of the globe really..

I actually have a bit of a soft spot cause my parents had combies (driven to the Sahara a few times from N Europe) many times and I had buggies and beetles when young.. They are really just an efficient / simple design.. Even a non mechanic can do 95% of any work on them.. They are not hard to speed up or customize.. They are much tougher than they look.. They even get used for african rallies and Baja bug off road races after conversions..

I have no need for a 'expensive' car but looking for something thats individual etc a rodded up bug or buggy would fit the Island perfectly and not break the bank..

Worries would be getting an aftermarket AC system in there and cracking cylinder heads (problem I had a lot with ali heads and air cooled).. Not looking to go daft and use porche engines etc even though I could source that cheap from germany..

Other ways to go include a roadster 2 seater conversion (need a convertable beetle tho) or big wing chop roof fatboy look.. All really easy to do and with labour rates here I am thinking why not ???

Edited by LivinLOS

I know of a Thai made "Baja Bug" in Chaing mai,

Baja Kits are not a problem to get from many countries,

You can get a glass buggy with stock frame lenght or the shorten panned type, tons of them around in the USA, UK or OZ

AC is doable but will need to be "homemade"

I guess its what you want to do, to me a baja bug is great if you are going to go trail running , but its not a "kit car"

a 550 spyder / fiberglass Speedster or other fiberglass replicas are kit cars.....

I have just been searching this site http://go.to/vw_kit

and cannot find any piccies or references to vw kitcars.

I have also tried searching the DLT website but the english links are not working.

I have two unconfirmed reports of a VW microbus that has been

"converted" into a Lambo Countach by a business in Bangers and is now being driven around using the old plates.

My guess is that kitcars are not registerable here and that the donor car is the only way to go.

I know of  a Thai made "Baja Bug" in Chaing mai,

Baja Kits are not a problem to get from many countries,

You can get a glass buggy with  stock frame lenght or the shorten panned type, tons of them around in the USA, UK or OZ

AC is doable  but will need to be "homemade"

I guess its what you want to do, to me a baja bug is great if you are going to go trail running , but its not a "kit car"

a 550 spyder / fiberglass Speedster  or other fiberglass replicas are  kit cars.....

I also dont really see a baja as a 'kit car' as its more a rodded conversion.. Only considering the difficulty in registrations etc.. I do think a buggy is a kit.. Enough difference in my mind in body conversion to deserve the name..

What about the registration of a SWB buggy built on a donor WV chassis.. Does that seem likely to succeed without major hassles ???

I have found a link for an aftermarket AC kit thats a bolt in install to a Bug with a 4 vent output all in the front.. Looks trivial..

Baja bug would be a good Island car IMHO.. Buggy more fun but less practical (they are always open.. You cant leave a bag or luggage in them.. etc.. However it would be even more cool for the Island..

I am tempted.. found a running VW bug advertised at 78k baht.. I am sure finding a rough one with book could be done even better (allowing for a full new engine rebuild).. If your going to do it, it would be nice to know everything was rebuilt / refurbs from the start.

Cant help with the questions regarding kit car registration.

But I know of a fantastic VW restoration company in Pattanakan Rd,I think soi 30 or 32!

Last time I went there they had 3 Oval window bugs(1952-1957) and a few nice early 60s bugs.They have a few Cal-look bugs around with some hot engines too.

There is another restorer in Lad Pla Khaew Rd that has a lot of old bugs and buses!

For the tuning parts there is a guy in Minburi that specializes in air cooled engines and has a few 2.1 litre beetles with turbos and nitrous that he takes to the drag racing at Seacon Square and Klong 5!I will dig out his address if anyone is interested!

Sky.

Cant help with the questions regarding kit car registration.

But I know of a fantastic VW restoration company in Pattanakan Rd,I think soi 30 or 32!

Last time I went there they had 3 Oval window bugs(1952-1957) and a few nice early 60s bugs.They have a few Cal-look bugs around with some hot engines too.

There is another restorer in Lad Pla Khaew Rd that has a lot of old bugs and buses!

For the tuning parts there is a guy in Minburi that specializes in air cooled engines and has a few 2.1 litre beetles with turbos and nitrous that he takes to the drag racing at Seacon Square and Klong 5!I will dig out his address if anyone is interested!

Sky.

Tell me more about this Drag racing :o

I built a kit in the UK, took me ages but once it was finished, Awsome, it was a DAX 427 COBRA, 5.7 Blueprinted chevy v8 with 4 barral holleys and a hurst racing gearbox, metalic blue with white stripe and chrome sidepipes, if i was building a kit in Thailand this would be the one i would choose, only problem is getting the donor car, this was based on a Jag XJ6. it went like stink, you could spin the rear wheels while overtaking in 3rd. i would love to build one in Thailand, also would give us something to do.

Well the 427 cobra is a shape I love.. I would very much enjoy one but it is not a great Thailand car (roads down here are slow.. barely get it out of 2nd / 3rd)..

I like the simplicity of the buggy / baja ideas.. real basic low cost entry etc..

The beach buggy would probably work off road (upcountry), but a few years ago I tried to bring a kit US military jeep (PI) in the country. Cost was US$5,000 complete. After I sat with the locals the cost to get it on the road exceeded US$25,000 (shipping, tax, paperwork, etc..). Still not to bad, I thought. Then they mentioned modifications that would have to be made to exhaust, safty, etc.. Let the project go. I am sure you could buy from a local agent and not bear the trouble as others have mentioned. I settled for a Suzuki Jeep for B100,000 at that time and resold 3 yrs later for Baht 120,000. :D Try to build an airplane. Classic car modification would be really neat. Udon, Chiang Mai and Korat have some jewels left over from US bases. :o

Edited by ilyushin

For sale in Patty

"Vsc546/31-32/ Sale VW Beach Buggy, only one in Thailand, perfect conditions , cost more 1 million baht for build it, asking price 600,000 baht only (fix price). Tel.: 01 523 1288 or email: ericoceane@ hotmail. com for photos."

Has been advertised for a bit so he might budge on the price

My point... I saw a stunner for sale here but he wanted 700 or so and dropped to 500 and claimed that was as much as his import tax...

Thing is the maths on doing the job here seem like it makes a lot of sense.,. building an average one for 200 - 250 max and a stunner for only 50 or so more..

Why pay 600 for one that can be built.. They really are simple kits and Thai labour is not expensive.. 600 is still 15k USD.. Theres lots of these at a couple of grand uk..

My one when I was a kid cost me 850 GBP..

• 5 years later...

I have a V.W beach Buggy ( With Book ) the big problem in Thai is the maintenance nobody really understands early cars, I drive it around Buriram area and have had the car 3 years but i'm looking for a good man to sort the auto electrics out, it keeps blowing one fuse. Or if anyone is interested in buying it i could be interested in selling it ( at a good price )

post-64450-0-63779500-1295933347_thumb.j

Edited by denishuahin

I have Speedster bodies in Chiangmai, but by the time you are done it will cost you way more than a buggy due to the bespoke Porsche parts required.

There are some nice Diatshau based buggies built is Korat, but no book and impossible to get one, as it is new construction and does not use a donor with an existing book.

• 11 months later...

I built a kit in the UK, took me ages but once it was finished, Awsome, it was a DAX 427 COBRA, 5.7 Blueprinted chevy v8 with 4 barral holleys and a hurst racing gearbox, metalic blue with white stripe and chrome sidepipes, if i was building a kit in Thailand this would be the one i would choose, only problem is getting the donor car, this was based on a Jag XJ6. it went like stink, you could spin the rear wheels while overtaking in 3rd. i would love to build one in Thailand, also would give us something to do.

Seems like everytime you turn around here in LOS there are endless restrictions to doing some creative hobbies we take for granted in the USA and other countrys.

Here's one idea I had thought of a few years ago when I was working in Singapore, and I began to dream of it again recently here in Thailand.....a somewhat replica of a 300 gullwing Mercedes.

Flywheel and Electric Pkg in 300 SL gullwing

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian eiland

.I even entertained the idea of convincing one of these failed attempts and maybe we put together an 'alternative fueled' model SL300 over in Thailand. The MB brand in Asia is a BIG status symbol, and a slick looking gullwing might just be a real eye catcher to launch a new alternative fueled vehicle in those SE Asian countries.

In Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore you don't want a convertible, but rather a closed vehicle with GOOD air con.

Singapore is the highest per capita Mercedes ownership in the world...Hong Kong highest for Rolls Royce.

Here's what I wanted to put in a 300 Gullwing body...the flywheel/electric powered Chrysler Patriot Le-Mans prototype package

http://www.yachtforu...550-post56.html

mercedes_300_sl_gullwing_.jpg

Edited by boatguy

• 1 month later...

From my understanding you can build and register a 'kit' car as long as it has a chassis or floorpan from a Thai registered vehicle. So anything based on a VW beetle - Baja bug, beach bug, Porsche speedster. porsche 550 etc.. Or an older vehicle that has a seperate chassis. But anything that comes with a bespoke chassis that you bolt parts either new or from a donor you can't register. It wouldn't have type approval or any emmision tests etc. I too build a Cobra in the UK 20 yrs back and was dreaming of building a Westfield or one of the other Lotus 7 reps.. But it is just about imposible unless you are minted or very well connected. So VW based is the best bet. Or restore/modify a Thai regged classic.. But don't expect that to be cheap either.

Like a prev poster said ''just about anything creative that you'd take for granted in your home country is difficult or imposible here''

• Like 1

So I guess going back to one of the original questions which was never answered, can you build and register a kit car in Thailand?

I've not looked into detail - But I have never read any information which states that kit cars are road legal in Thailand...

I would jump at the chance of a Road Legal replica SLR, or Porsche 356 or 550, or even a Westfield...

Any one of those cars could be great fun to driver around. I did read once of a shop which do 356 replica's with Subaru Engines, but the never seem to offer any information on these web forums.

• 7 months later...