Marks And Spencer

MagnumForce

Gone at least two years ago, maybe three. It was a concession area in Central Dept Store (actually they're not really concessions - more just label or merchandise groupings with brand owner support) and it used to be on the left as you entered the mall from where Starbucks is now. Everything was very pricey and reflected M&S's aspirations to be seen as more upmarket than us Brits regard them at home (solid, safe and pretty good value but hardly a fashion statement).

Edit: I guess I could be wrong and they've hidden it somewhere else but if so then very small has to be the right description!

Edited by Greenside

OH gone already well not been there for a while and it was a poor set up for M&S . Try shopping in central the prices are the same as M&S

Gone at least two years ago, maybe three. It was a concession area in Central Dept Store (actually they're not really concessions - more just label or merchandise groupings with brand owner support) and it used to be on the left as you entered the mall from where Starbucks is now. Everything was very pricey and reflected M&S's aspirations to be seen as more upmarket than us Brits regard them at home (solid, safe and pretty good value but hardly a fashion statement).

Yeah, I miss it, it was brilliant for certain things - that little store carried stuff that nobody else had (or has for that matter). The really nice cookies and sweets were always way overpriced though. I suppose now with the new cheap GBP they'd be a lot more competitive...

But, sadly, long gone. Oh, well - one option less.

.... I suppose now with the new cheap GBP they'd be a lot more competitive...

You mean like the way the gas has gone down with the decline in the US$ and the foreign foods have suddenly become far cheaper since the Euro tanked :huh:?

Someone is making a much better margin than before and we'll be the last to get any benefit if ever. :(

I need a new UK passport - I bet that's not got more competitive with the £ at 1.47....

You mean like the way the gas has gone down with the decline in the US$ and the foreign foods have suddenly become far cheaper since the Euro tanked :huh:?

Someone is making a much better margin than before and we'll be the last to get any benefit if ever. :(

I need a new UK passport - I bet that's not got more competitive with the £ at 1.47....

To what currency?

To what currency?

Sorry, laughing so much at the idea of prices coming down. £ @ 47 baht I meant to say (but it hurts even to type it).

greenside.

re ... prices coming down. £ @ 47 baht

you mean the baht to the pounds gone down from november 07 ? ... bugger : )

enjoy ... or ... weep ? ... dave2 .... im off out for a sunday evening beer !

from 69 -> 47

Ouch!!!!!!

Then again when I first arrived in the LOS, they gave me 42 baht for every USD. Now at 29.8...

Gas prices follow their own rules in Thailand - it's basically a hegemony of the few, and they're always taking their cut, sometimes more, sometimes less. Now even more of a cut with the Gasohol scam. But it's not an open market by any means. PTT lords over it all.

Other goods do come down in price - I only follow computer prices on a regular basis, and those are pretty much, give or take, the same here as in the USA, whether it's 42 baht to the USD or 30. That means that yes, computer prices have come down in THB, and quite a bit.

Then there's cars - they haven't gone down but at the same time raw material costs have gone up a lot so no wonder there.

And by the way, sorry you British but the GBP at 70 baht / 2 USD / 1.5 EUR was way overvalued. I thought that long before it crashed.

You're right about it not being more competitive. To renew a 32 page UK passport cost £77.50 (3,642 baht) back in the UK, here in Thailand it costs you 6,656 baht, that's a nice 83% mark up. The Consulate use an exchange rate of 52 baht to the pound to add insult to injury....

Thanks for the info. At least I don't need to get new glasses now that I know it hasn't been there for 2 or 3 years. Saw a reference to it on a 2010 website for CM. They're obviously not up-to-date.

Surprised to see that the CM branch has gone, the Phuket branch in Central is still here, apologies for the mis information.