Apple Mac?

russianrobert

It's time for me to buy a new laptop and i'm not really much of a whiz when i comes to computers. I have been considering Sony Viao and IBM Think Pad. Then several people asked why i don't consider Apple Mac.

I always thought they needed special software, didn't operate with Windows, i would need to learn how to use one, weren't compatible with a lot of software etc. etc. etc.(yeah i know, perhaps i'm a bit of a dinosaur! :rolleyes: )

I'm told however, all that's not true. I am a regular laptop user who doesn't have any special needs. I want a fairly rugged laptop as i travel quite a bit. I need lots of storage space. 300-500 gigs would do it. I'm not a 'game boy'

Does anyone have comments on someone like me switching to Apple? For or against. Anything else i should look out for?

Cheers for any help

I've been using Apple computers for over 15 years... New Apple computers can run windows as well. But the Mac OS is easy, faster and better in my opinion. I have MS Office for Mac so I can send and read MS word and Excel files. This Apple laptop I am writing you on is almost 10 years old and still works fine for everything other than video.. Apples cost a bit more though. I'm sure some people out here have switched from PC to Apple on here. You can go to Apple.com and watch a video on changing over... I use Windows if I have to, I know how to use both, but I'd rather use an Apple. I think there are other threads on this on this forum as well.

FYI all the unibody MacBook Pros can hold 1TB HDs. At this point in time 1TB hard disks are still 12.5mm whereas smaller ones are 9.5mm, most laptops can't do 12.5.

As for Apple - yeah no problem, use the Apple forum if you run into any issues. Everything works, but some things are different. Apple makes pretty good introductory videos I've heard which explain a few tips and tricks that will make your operating the machine a lot simpler.

FYI all the unibody MacBook Pros can hold 1TB HDs. At this point in time 1TB hard disks are still 12.5mm whereas smaller ones are 9.5mm, most laptops can't do 12.5.

As for Apple - yeah no problem, use the Apple forum if you run into any issues. Everything works, but some things are different. Apple makes pretty good introductory videos I've heard which explain a few tips and tricks that will make your operating the machine a lot simpler.

And if you get desperate for a Windows o/s (for those programs that have to be Win based) there are a number of Virtual Machine software that work very well for running Windows and/or Linux (or other o/s) on the Mac at the same time.

If you compare Apples to Apples (no pun intended) on performance, screen quality, features, the PC can be a little cheaper, but I like the magnetic power connection on my Mac Book Pro to keep from ripping the connector out.

Mac o/s and updates are virtually flawless and in the rare occurrence of an issue, google will usually find an answer, same as with Win o/s.

I went to look at the Mac today and i was impressed. However, i'm used to Microsoft Office and the Mac comes with Neo Office. How difficult it is to make the change? I briefly looked at Neo Word and Excel and they looked familiar but not exactly the same. Am i going to have to re learn how to use these programes on a Mac?

Also, anyone know how important it is to have 'Blue Ray' enabled DVD player?

Cheers

I can't comment specifically about laptops, but I have just changed from over 10 years worth of PC experience to an iMac and I can tell you I will undoubtedly now always go Mac if I can (afford it!). You may see from my previous thread in the forum about my recent problems running a dual OS on the Mac, but those problems were of my own creating & would still recommend using virtualisation software if you feel you do need both systems. My advice would be to think carefully about how much space you want allocating to each OS and that however much space you initially think on allocating over to Windows, then half it at least! You will find yourself hardly using it - in the month or so I've had my new machine, I've only occasionally needed to boot into Windows as I'm finding I can do everything I need to do in Snow Leopard pretty much (and what I can't is purely down to inexperience, not lack of Mac functionality).

I've also found that NeoOffice works very well for my needs so far and haven't had any reason to head over to Word in Windows...As with everything new, there is a learning process involved, but as an earlier posted suggested, mac make this process simple for you if you want...

Take the plunge, the water's warm!

Happy hunting!

W.