Bangkok At Night Turns Violent Inferno Now

dannishgung

AS foreigners living here - IMHO - we're tolerated by many Thais - and, in particular Thai males. There appears to be a very fine line on many occasions between tolerance and violence. It's always there just below the surface waiting to errupt in a moment.

Apart from increasing violence towards foreigners in BKK and elsewhere there appear to be more instances of unprovoked 'baiting' aimed at foreigners for no apparent reason often with a hostile edge.

Resentment, intolerance of the ever increasing numbers of 'farangs' that seem to be living here now compared to the past or just plain racism.....I don't know.....but an awful lot of foreigners leave Thailand with a tale to tell.....but then again we have many who think the place is wonderful and who obviously see BKK through rose tinted spectacles!

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AS foreigners living here - IMHO - we're tolerated by many Thais - and, in particular Thai males. There appears to be a very fine line on many occasions between tolerance and violence. It's always there just below the surface waiting to errupt in a moment.

Apart from increasing violence towards foreigners in BKK and elsewhere there appear to be more instances of unprovoked 'baiting' aimed at foreigners for no apparent reason often with a hostile edge.

Resentment, intolerance of the ever increasing numbers of 'farangs' that seem to be living here now compared to the past or just plain racism.....I don't know.....but an awful lot of foreigners leave Thailand with a tale to tell.....but then again we have many who think the place is wonderful and who obviously see BKK through rose tinted spectacles!

Everyone's looking at BKK through the filter of their own experiences. If net-positive impressions mean your specs are rose-tinted, then it's only fair to conclude that net-negative impressions mean you're seeing the city through black-tinted specs. :o

Everyone's looking at BKK through the filter of their own experiences. If net-positive impressions mean your specs are rose-tinted, then it's only fair to conclude that net-negative impressions mean you're seeing the city through black-tinted specs. :o

That's not how I see it. Personally, I've never had anything bad happen to me directly while in Bangkok. But I've heard plenty of stories, know from the experiences from others, and do occasionally browse the headlines of Thai-language newspapers. Many parts of Bangkok may be safer than south-central Los Angeles, but overall, BKK is definitely a much more dangerous place than 10 years ago, or 5 years ago. Things are getting worse, and I hear nothing coming from the political chattering classes (both government and opposition) about what should be done to tackle the problems. So, Mr. Abhisit... how about starting with a platform on crime? That might actually win you more votes than just your pretty face by itself...

Since coming back home I wish I was back in Bangkok from a safety point of view.

I seem to be cursed with the "Who you looking at pal" or the agressive "got any spare change" attitudes following me round.

As white folk there, we get away with a hel_l of a lot of behaviour that would result in a good smacking at home. The thai against thai crime rate is far lower than the thai farang crime % ( well maybe apart form pattaya )

As white folk there, we get away with a hel_l of a lot of behaviour that would result in a good smacking at home. The thai against thai crime rate is far lower than the thai farang crime % ( well maybe apart form pattaya )

What basis do you have for this particular statement? My gathering is that the situation is exactly the opposite.

Your comparison of BKK with where you live in the west now also depends on what city you live in. If I were choosing between Bangkok and SE Washington, DC, then yes, I'd choose Bangkok from a safety point of view. If it were between Bangkok and any point in Manhattan south of 110th Street, then I'd choose Manhattan. Crime in most major US cities has gone down substantially in the past decade, while I'm much more wary of going anywhere after dark in BKK than 10 years ago.

If my hometown of Leith, Edinburgh had thousands of rich Asians coming and doing what farangs do here, they would be beaten hourly, not daily.

Really? Sounds like you live in a terrible, intolerant place. What are we doing here that a "rich Asian" (or any other ethnicity) would get beaten for in Scotland, that a native Scot wouldn't?

Like having our own drinking areas where locals can not get in, where we can oogle naked local women and sh@g them at our will, and treat the local guys like second class citizens. And when some of them have had enough and decide to beat up one of us, complain that their society/race/nation is violent, and that where we come from things are so much better....

Bangkok is still much safer than any western city, IMO.

I used to wander the backstreets at all hours all over Bangkok for years and only got mugged a couple of times through my own stupidity.

Kind of discounts the idea that BKK is a safe place, doesn't it?

Can you name one city on this planet with more than 10 million citizens, anywhere in the world where you would be totally safe walking around in the middle of the night?

Pyongyang excluded, of course........

singapore's safe to walk around at any hours, anywhere! :D

God forbid Bangkok ever becomes like Singapore, we'd all die of boredom! :o

Z z z z z z z

The most exciting thing so far in Singapore this week was a Sunday school protesting against the Da Vinci Code by smattering their kids all over the entrance of the cinema.

We need ACTION!!! Miss the joie de'vivre in Silom... emoticon215qm.gif

Z z z z z z z

The most exciting thing so far in Singapore this week was a Sunday school protesting against the Da Vinci Code by smattering their kids all over the entrance of the cinema.

We need ACTION!!! Miss the joie de'vivre in Silom... emoticon215qm.gif

Happy to hear about that

I vote 'Rose Tinted Spectacles' the most over used cliche on this site.

Sorry I can't share your distaste for the 'increasing' violence but as I haven't experienced it how can I?

Also, the farang baiting you're talking about with a hostile edge? I've seen no increase over the last 15 years. Certainly wouldn't call it hostile either. Thais have always chatted about farangs in the presence of farangs - get over it. Though it can grate, it's harmless.

I don't know if you speak Thai as I do, but if not, I recommend you learn. I'm not being glib, it would truly enhance your experience here. If not, maybe a holiday away for a while.

I can empathise if you've been here a while and maybe need a change.

Bangkok is a very intense city and can get you down sometimes. After a spell of 4 years in the city in the early nineties and feeling a bit burned out, I took some time away before returning refreshed.

Take it easy and chok dee my friend. :o

Ive been to bkk many times and I feel safe there, here in sydney I live in the inner west suburbs.

People get bashed for looking at someone, In my area a guy got stabbed with a srewdriver because he cut infront of someone while driving.

At the 7-11 about 2 years ago this guy got 8 bullets in the chest for prank calls.

There is always shit happening everynight here. Alot of shootings etc.

I have been to Bangkok loads of times and stayed there for weeks on end , not just passing through as many holidaymakers are . I have never been involved in any trouble and haver hardly seen any . And no i don't spend all the time shut up in my hotel. Thats just for sleeping. I am out on the streets and in my opinion i have never seen or felt a safer place. Having said that i do stick to the regular tourist haunts and areas so i suppose that may be part of the reason .

My feelings in summary are that , given the choice , i can't see why anyone would want to stay in england where almost everything vaguely pleasureable is either against the law or about to be made so, and where you will get into an argument if you as much as look at someone for more than a split second, when they can stay in Bangkok where you can actually feel alive, not brain dead.

I think the government of Thailand is making a big mistake trying to make itself more like Singapore. Yes its very safe there, its also very boring . Thats why people (at present) still come to Thailand

What basis do you have for this particular statement? My gathering is that the situation is exactly the opposite.

Your comparison of BKK with where you live in the west now also depends on what city you live in. If I were choosing between Bangkok and SE Washington, DC, then yes, I'd choose Bangkok from a safety point of view. If it were between Bangkok and any point in Manhattan south of 110th Street, then I'd choose Manhattan. Crime in most major US cities has gone down substantially in the past decade, while I'm much more wary of going anywhere after dark in BKK than 10 years ago.

I agree, having seen Manhattan, NYC go from "Fort Apache"-style in the 70's and 80's to Broadway-Disneyland in the 90's to present. We still have our rapes/murders/mass shootings like any big city but far less than 2-3 decades ago. I'm sure he meant thai on thai was higher with exception to in Pattaya.

Edited by Dragonmode