Uk Passport Due To Expire Mar 2011 - Flight Back To Uk

Melpomene

Hello all, My UK passport is due to expire in March 2011. I'm returning to the UK around end of Nov/early Dec. I understand the fact that I've less 6 months on my passport won't be a problem for returning to the UK. However, do I need to book a direct flight because of this or will I still be able to book with Emirates and take a connection via Dubai. I'll obviously check with the airline before booking, but thought I'd ask on here too to see if anyone has any ideas. Many thanks in advance......

A UK passport may be renewed any time within the period 9 months prior to expiry. The renewal will be dated 10 years from the current expiry date (in your case March 2011) so you don't lose any time. Why not renew it now to avoid any potential bureaucratic problem?

A UK passport may be renewed any time within the period 9 months prior to expiry. The renewal will be dated 10 years from the current expiry date (in your case March 2011) so you don't lose any time. Why not renew it now to avoid any potential bureaucratic problem?

Almost right, you do not have to wait until your old passport expires to apply to renew it. If there is any time left on your old passport, they will add it to your new passport, up to maximum of nine months. You can renew your passport whenever you wish, but they will not carry over more than nine months from your old passport to your new one.

The earlier advice is also correct that you can transit Dubai, air-side, without six months remaining on your passport, and whilst the comment from Palmeiras is fair that if you want to avoid any potential bureaucratic you might want to renew your passport before you fly, you might want weigh this up against the extra cost and bureaucracy of renewing in Hong Kong.

Though I believe the advice you have been given is correct, none of those giving advice will be travelling with you so you might want to check with Emirates in Bangkok.

Thanks for all the help folks - I will check with Emirates to be sure.

I've thought about renewing now, but believe it can take up to 4 weeks right ? I'm waiting for confirmation of exactly when I'm needed back, so don't want to be without my PP if that call comes sooner rather than later......