What Do You Do?

I am back in the U.K seriously considering studying for a post grad degree. I have been looking into teaching degrees, however was advised by a close colleague to consider doing a business/finance related degree. The idea being that this would enable me to attain a higher paying job on returning to Thailand (I want to move there once finished with University back home). Would this be the case? And if so what kind of degrees would enable me to do this? Are there good financial sector jobs in Thailand for foreigners?

Are any members of this forum doing such? Or, if you guys don't mind, what are you all doing?

With a ANY degree you can always find teaching jobs, not necessarily highly paid but there is always work around. If you have a PGCE or other Education based qualification you would get or could apply for a higher paid Teaching job in a better facility.

As for other sectors unless you know someone or are extremely lucky then it is not easy finding a decent paid job. You must remember that there are many jobs that "foriegners" are not allowed to do and must go to Thai people. I would advise to reasearch this thoroughly before making any life changing decisions. Search other forums here (teaching in Thailand, and Visa section) as there will be a wealth of information available.

Good luck !

What is it that you want to do? Teach or work in finance? Do you have any experience in the financial sector at all? If no to the latter, but you are still interested in finance, then do your postgrad in FInance, work in the UK for a number of years and then try to get a role in TH.

I assuming you are still young since you are going to grad school, so my advice to you is to stay in UK and make money there. You will only make money to survive over here in Thailand and you not get rich.

Make money and plan to be rich when you return to Thailand, they you will be much happier

You will only make money to survive over here in Thailand

I disagree. It may be true but for some people, but it's an over-generalization. There are lots of people doing quite well for themselves in Thailand, in both the business and teaching fields. I for one, as a certified teacher, make much more money in Thailand than I ever did in the West. Combine that with a significantly lower cost of living, and life is good. B) I have remained in Thailand so that I can can continue to save up money and be more "rich" when I eventually return to my home country.

Thank you for all the posts so far.

To clear matters up, I have just finished a 5 year period of teaching in a primary school in Thailand. So I guess that I have some experience in this field in Thailand. Although I loved my time doing this, I knew that if I was to make this a career I would have to get further qualifications.e.g. PGCE, Certified teacher status. I have come back to the U.K to do just that.

However I want to keep my options open, so I have had a look at other Uni. courses at postgrad level. Just wondering has anyone had any luck working in any other sectors in LOS and if so, what kind of qualifications would be appropriate for that field. e.g. I have a friend who is starting a degree in accounting with the aim to get a job in financial services with an international company in Bangkok.

Edited by aridion

Thank you for all the posts so far.

To clear matters up, I have just finished a 5 year period of teaching in a primary school in Thailand. So I guess that I have some experience in this field in Thailand. Although I loved my time doing this, I knew that if I was to make this a career I would have to get further qualifications.e.g. PGCE, Certified teacher status. I have come back to the U.K to do just that.

However I want to keep my options open, so I have had a look at other Uni. courses at postgrad level. Just wondering has anyone had any luck working in any other sectors in LOS and if so, what kind of qualifications would be appropriate for that field. e.g. I have a friend who is starting a degree in accounting with the aim to get a job in financial services with an international company in Bangkok.

When thinking about a career change always start with what your experiences are and go from there. You've 5 years teaching experience already, add a PGCE to that and ideally a year or two working in a UK school and that would give you a very nice CV - one which I'm sure would get you into higher paying teaching jobs in Thailand or anywhere else in the world for that matter.

If you want to move into another field then be prepared to start at the bottom and have to work your way up again even with an MA/MSc. I currently work in IT and had 15 years experience before I moved over here. I know a number of people all doing well here, but they all brought specific skills and experience to the table, gained by putting the time in their particular industry.

Hope that helps and good luck whatever you decide :D