Suvarnabhumi Airport Railway Link: Special Report

webfact

Well, if I have a lot of luggage I find the taxis very unsuited. Half their trunk space is taken away by the gas tank and the normal Toyota Altis is not a big car to begin with. I don't like my luggage hanging halfway out of the trunk, especially in the rainy season.

Airport limousines are maybe bigger cars, but again most have a gas tank in the trunk. Besides this, they are quite expensive.

This is one problem, this airport has not solved in my view: Transportation to the city when you have a lot of luggage.

If you have a lot of luggage, you should definitely avoid the Link. They haven't sorted the luggage problem out yet. There is room for smaller bags in the overhead bin, which is open, and also room under your seat. But the Link does not link with any other form of transportation, and you will probably have to end up taking a taxi once you arrive at the Makkasan Station in Bangkok. It's far from everything except the Bangkok bus line. I rode it yesterday.

One minor detail people seem to miss. The link runs to a location from where you will be required to take a taxi anyway. So while the ride in/out will be faster, many will find they still need a taxi and will end up paying just as much as having taxi all the way.

Also the station in BKK where it takes you is always full of traffic, so whatever time you save on the train you will waste stuck in traffic.

What you talking about you can transfer to the BTS and from there to any hotel in bkk which is usually close to BTS stations.

One question. Why are they continuing this line all the way to Don Muang? I don't believe there are many if any flights leaving from there. Seems like an extraordinary amount of money for a trivial service. Has the tea money been counted yet?

One question. Why are they continuing this line all the way to Don Muang? I don't believe there are many if any flights leaving from there. Seems like an extraordinary amount of money for a trivial service. Has the tea money been counted yet?

It's a commuter line. Public Transport. Not only for tourists and international travellers.

The new City Link is a godsend.

It is not just convenient for the airport.

It is near where I stay whilst in Thailand and I can get downtown in 10 minutes whereas before would take at least an hour during rush hour.

As someone said above DM is well past it's expiry date.

I last used it in 2003 and thought it was due a face lift then, so I can imagine what it's like now.

What are the long term plans for it?

Is it still being used for domestic flights and freight?

At least the new line will give people along that route a new convenient method of transport.

Don Mueang airport is still active with domestic flights by Nok Air and Orient Thai (formerly One2Go or One2Crash as it is commonly called). There is a brand new corporate VIP terminal that is operated by Mjets. Thai Airways is still operating all of their maintenance hangars and back shops and they are busy, if not full, year round. The Thai Air Force still has their base on the East side of the field as well as the Royal flight department. There are a few flight schools operating there. Charter flights use the old Terminal 1 and all of the facilities are maintained. It could be up and operating very quickly. All runways and taxi ways are well maintained. Bangkok Airways have a hangar their and do all of their heavy maintenance at DMK.

The only cargo operations are via the 2 domestic carriers operating.

No DOWN escalators from the top platform to the street (110 steps; I counted)is an inexcusable omission, especially for a system serving an airport where passengers are likely to have heavy bags. Yes; there are elevators but guess what? the staff won't let anybody but the wheelchair bound use them: same-same the BTS which also omitted DOWN escalators at most of it's stations.

It's astounding that after spending billions of Baht building the Rail Link that they would cheap-out on such an important feature.

Does Makkahsan have down escalators? It's the only station I haven't checked out yet.

There are down escalators. Only problem is there is no exit at the Asoke end of the station, which is where most people are headed - also where the MRT station is. Maybe a minor complaint, but having to walk 100 meters the wrong direction, then back again is a PITA, especially when there is no reason not to have built an exit closer to Asoke/MRT. The stations were obviously designed by someone who had no intention of ever using them themselves - try getting off the platform and downstairs at Phaya Thai - disembarking passengers have to walk through the embarking passengers on a narrow platform to get to the stairs.

Those issues aside, it sure makes it easier to get downtown from SriNakarin area, and right now its very popular as a commuter line. As was said, will be interesting to see if that continues once the fares rise.

Phaiyathai station is a commuter station. How many stations on the bts have down escalaters.

If you have luggage coming from/to the airport then catch the express train (designed for carrying luggage) at Makkasan.

Your right of course, but I suggest many first timers will be confused and end up using the City line instead of the Airport Express from swampy.

On my first trip from the airport I asked at both windows and had to ask further questions several times until I understood which line to use. Whilst I was asking questions obviously first timers were also asking questions and getting anwers which just caused total confusion. Just imagaine a first time visitor who doesn't know Bangkok, confusion/ wrong line is pretty much assured for many passengers.

Living near Lam Sali, the Huamak Station, I couldn't wait for this to open and thought that it would change my tendency to stay out here and rarely go downtown. However, after a few rides, it is not having the impact on my life that I thought it would, mostly because it is just not as convenient as I had hoped. For one thing, there is no formal place to park my motorcycle and leave my helmet, so I would have to take it with me, which would be a real PITA. Also, the one time I had to go downtown and change into a suit, I was soaking wet by the time I got there because I missed the first train, had to wait 15 minutes in the heat for the next, then walk from Makkasan to the MRT..........I swore the next time I would just take a taxi!

Worst and most outdated airport in the world. 50+ years behind the times. Railway may be new but the airport is outdated. Build a modern one where the planes dock at the airport and not 3 kms from it. Bulldoze the old outdated bangkok airport then build something modern inline with the train.

I wonder how many people know that the airport was built to a 35 year old design (design commissioned 35 years earlier but airport not built) with no attempt to incorporate all the modern technology and perhaps even more important to incorporate all the numerous highly valuable lessons learned in that 35 year gap about airport design.

And very little work to do proper planning of supporting services, e.g. ground transport.

Why was it built so quickly with no design adjustments? One guess!

First response to Moetown Blues

Are you talking about Don Muang or Suvarnabhumi International Airport? Su'boom was built in the early years of this century and is not at all like Don Muang - which was fine when I first visited Thailand in the mid 1970s.

Response to Scorecard

Please get your facts straight.

Although the principle of having a new airport was decided in the late 70s, the location was not decided until the 90s and the architect selected for the design (Murphy Hahn) was not selected until after the site was secured. The basis of many of the features in the airport are taken from Munich's new airport, where the NBIA dignitaries and decision makers were introduced to the typical new airport of the 21st century.

The roof of the airside 'tunnels', which was my contribution to the structure, was completely innovative and has been improved upon since (we offered to re-line the entire roof at one time, as we were dissatisfied with the final result, but Thaksin wouldn't allow any delay). The second terminal will look better than the current one, but will have the same basic features. It is mainly state of the art installations, but sometimes these were prototypes and not fully tested.

The roof of the Terminal Building, with it's supertrusses, is claimed as a triumph of Thai engineering. Unfortunately the supertrusses were designed and built in Singapore and shipped up to Thailand as completed items. I have several Philippino steel engineers as friends, who were on the project.

I am talking about Suvarnabhumi. Most outdated airport in the world. At least 60 yrs behind the times. Modern airports the planes pull in and dock at the airport itself in Bangkok at this old fashioned shed they do not. They planes stop 2 kms from the airport and you walk down stairs to a bus. So bloody old fashioned and nearly 70 yrs old ways. Thailand needs a new modern airport. I fly in and out to Australia once a month and a plane has never docked at the airport. FLINTSONES. Build a new and modern airport and put this old glass house to bed. They built a glass house and forgot planes and passegers. That Don Muang must have been a banana leaf lean too. Bulldoze the current airport and build a modern upto date one.

Interesting news; I had no idea about the second line being built. Still can't see the point of the first one, though. Taxis are now much more orderly with the kiosk and less touts and while singles or couples may prefer the train, taxis may be cheaper and more convenient for families or those with lots of luggage.

They should finish the job they started first.... with a train every 15 minutes, they trains are over loaded to the point that several people don't get on unless you are at the first station eiter end. It is all but impossible to get on with a child, or anything bigger than a lap top case. Inreasing the frequency to 1 every 10 mins would vastly improve the service...... what is more, much of the stations are unfinished with broken pavements and pipes dragged accross roads, etc. ..... but TIT, right :rolleyes:

OK, the article said it cost 25.9 Billion baht to build and generates revenue up to 1 Million baht per day.

Let's do some simple math. One Billion is "1,000" Million so every year the State Railroad Authority makes 365 Million in revenue from the line or about every 3 years generate a little over 1 Billion Baht. Ok, that 1 Billion down after about 3 years of operation...only 24.9 Billion to go to cover construction costs. But to be a little more precise and assuming no increase in fares or loan interest (unrealistic but just to help keep the math simple) it would take 71 years to generate 25.9 Billion in revenue to equal the 25.9 Billion construction cost. Some fares need to rise pretty quick otherwise this is just another money losing transportation link/method in Thailand.

I hope that there is someone out there agreeing with having some form of mass public transport from and to the airport, which not only is more convenient but also great news for the environment. At least it's a step forward. That's the first thing I thought about when I heard the news. I personally don't actually care much about how big 'our' luggage is. That's our little problem..:)

Interesting news; I had no idea about the second line being built. Still can't see the point of the first one, though. Taxis are now much more orderly with the kiosk and less touts and while singles or couples may prefer the train, taxis may be cheaper and more convenient for families or those with lots of luggage.

Maybe also you are like me and don’t have a clue were this High Speed 360 Kph train is going to run FROM – TO vv. The one the 9 Thai parliamentarians and some 30, and rest assure it will be more, of their cronies are daily rubbing their fat grubby hands about.

The one in Shanghai is impressive but it only runs from one side of the swamp to the other side. Not even sure the distance is long enough to get the thing up to speed.

One minor detail people seem to miss. The link runs to a location from where you will be required to take a taxi anyway. So while the ride in/out will be faster, many will find they still need a taxi and will end up paying just as much as having taxi all the way.

Also the station in BKK where it takes you is always full of traffic, so whatever time you save on the train you will waste stuck in traffic.

The planers missed the boat one more time. They seem to plan in a vacuum. Such a rail service cannot be dependent only on a starting station which is always in traffic gridlock. It seems that Thais have a hard time when it comes to empathy. to put themselves in the shoes of those bringing into the country between 6 and 10 % of their GDP. What would make sense is a connection from a BTS station right into the Airport-downtown line. An appalling fact is that the Thai planers thought that people traveling from downtown to the airport would do so without any suitcases, the reason there are no escalators or elevators. Even backpackers complain about having to take a taxi from Khao San to downtown BKK, haul their luggage to the top to then enter a noisy, uncomfortable rail system. I have seen that a Camry from the airport to Bangkok Noi is never more than 300 THB even via express way. Only good for those living around downtown. Detail: can you picture a guest at a 5 star hotel hauling their luggage to the top of the Link station? I think not.

I just used the City Line for a short getaway to Phuket. It was really perfect for me, since I only had a small suitcase. Only ฿15 each way, and plenty of room for luggage at the end of the car, if you do have large bags. Very convenient and cheap way to get to airport, and traffic never a problem. Also don't have to worry about a taxi driver that doesn't even know simple landmarks in Bangkok, like BTS/MRT stations, which was the wonderful experience I had when I first got into BKK.

The only problem I had was when you get to Phaya Thai, I did not see an elevator or escalator going down (there is one going up). If there was one, it was on the wrong side, because it should be on the side going to the BTS station. There is no excuse to not have made one, since they just built it. If they want people to actually use it as an airport link, they need to account for the fact that people don't want to carry luggage up OR down stairs. But I agree that the city line is a great tool for the people who live along the route, having nothing to do with the airport. Most of the people riding the line get on/off before the airport, so it is really just an extension of the BTS, and great for commuters. Of course, when the luggage check starts working at Makkasan Station, that will take it to another level, but this is a very good start. And I do not understand how some people here can not appreciate the difference between a ฿300-400 taxi ride in traffic, versus a ฿15-30 high speed train ride. Airport rail links are essential for any major city. Having a large amount of luggage always makes it more difficult, in every city, but it is still usually the best way to get to town. Just do not travel with more luggage than you can handle.

Edited by RaoulDuke

BTW, what is this 'downtown' you all speak of? In my travel throughout Asia, the concept of a 'downtown' does not really materialize anywhere. In Europe, downtowns, or city centers, were often built around the castle. Today, they tend to be busy shopping districts full of life. But I do not think Siam qualifies as a downtown (if it does, it is only 2 stops from Phaya Thai, so that means the train does go downtown). In the USA, downtowns were built around Main St, or Broadway, and are now characterized by a concentration of tall buildings. Baiyoke Sky Hotel is the tallest building in Thailand, and only a few blocks from Phaya Thai, but again, I don't think that it qualifies as a downtown. Most cities in Asia tend to be made up of several smaller districts, each with their own character and purpose, and BKK is no different. There is no centralized spot which could easily be identified as 'downtown'. I agree that Makkasan is a bit out of the way, but it is right on the MRT (at least it will be if the connector is finished), which is not only convenient from all over the city, but also at least more traveler friendly than the BTS, since the stations actually have up and down escalators, as well as elevators. And even if you have to take a taxi to Makkasan, it is still easier than taking a taxi to BKK.

The planers missed the boat one more time. They seem to plan in a vacuum. Such a rail service cannot be dependent only on a starting station which is always in traffic gridlock. It seems that Thais have a hard time when it comes to empathy. to put themselves in the shoes of those bringing into the country between 6 and 10 % of their GDP. What would make sense is a connection from a BTS station right into the Airport-downtown line. An appalling fact is that the Thai planers thought that people traveling from downtown to the airport would do so without any suitcases, the reason there are no escalators or elevators. Even backpackers complain about having to take a taxi from Khao San to downtown BKK, haul their luggage to the top to then enter a noisy, uncomfortable rail system. I have seen that a Camry from the airport to Bangkok Noi is never more than 300 THB even via express way. Only good for those living around downtown. Detail: can you picture a guest at a 5 star hotel hauling their luggage to the top of the Link station? I think not.

Where in central Bangkok is there no traffic grid lock?? And where in central Bangkok (Siam or Silom) is there space to build a 'city terminal'? In what city in the world is there a city-airport terminal close to where everyone wants to go?

The government owned land relatively centrally (an old goods yard) that they can build a large city terminal, so they built it there. They built the line with access to the BTS for travelers with little or no luggage. Try getting from Heathrow onto and around the tube with a lot of luggage.

What, IMO, they have done wrong is provided very little vehicle (taxi) access to Makkasan station. But, there is still a huge amount of development to be built around the terminal.

BTW, what is this 'downtown' you all speak of?

It's wherever the most expensive commercial property prices are.

In the case of Bangkok, that would put it around Siam Paragon/Central World, with places on Silom road following a close second. People already in the downtown area may have trouble locating the exact center, but when you are out in the suburbs it is quite clear what downtown means.

Even my Thai wife understands the concept, and she has never been to the West.

Central Business District might technically be a more accurate term than downtown, but the two are basically interchangeable in colloquial speech.

But I agree with your other sentiments, the Airport Link is actually quite convenient and is a very necessary part of the public transport infrastructure. It is also true however, that there is much room for improvement in the way it was implemented. This isn't rocket science (even rocket science isn't really rocket science when you get into it). They could dramatically improve the user experience by providing some simple facilities at all the stations, like convenient ways to get larger bags on and off the elevated platforms at the City Line stations, and actually proving convenient links to other modes of public transport like the bus system, without requiring 20 minute hikes over mud encrusted, uneven pavement.

It just gives a whole air of unprofessionalism which destroys the users perceptions, no matter how necessary and well intended it is.

I've been waiting years to try the train from the Airport to the city and now I can next week you little beauty.

Seeing it slowly been built and it looks great.

I am looking forward to finally trying it and I am sure it will be a great trip and great views of the city.

Well done Thailand.

Cheers

Aussiandrew

The one in Shanghai is impressive but it only runs from one side of the swamp to the other side. Not even sure the distance is long enough to get the thing up to speed.

Which just goes to show how much smarter the Thais are than the Chinese. They built the airport in the swamp, thus cutting out the need to get passengers across it.

I am talking about Suvarnabhumi. Most outdated airport in the world. At least 60 yrs behind the times. Modern airports the planes pull in and dock at the airport itself in Bangkok at this old fashioned shed they do not. They planes stop 2 kms from the airport and you walk down stairs to a bus. So bloody old fashioned and nearly 70 yrs old ways. Thailand needs a new modern airport. I fly in and out to Australia once a month and a plane has never docked at the airport. FLINTSONES. Build a new and modern airport and put this old glass house to bed. They built a glass house and forgot planes and passegers. That Don Muang must have been a banana leaf lean too. Bulldoze the current airport and build a modern upto date one.

I've had that at Amsterdam several times..

They have their own operational reasons for doing it, but it doesn't mean the airport is old fashioned..

I wonder how many people know that the airport was built to a 35 year old design (design commissioned 35 years earlier but airport not built) with no attempt to incorporate all the modern technology and perhaps even more important to incorporate all the numerous highly valuable lessons learned in that 35 year gap about airport design.

And very little work to do proper planning of supporting services, e.g. ground transport.

Indeed, and most if not all defenders of this crumbling airport on this board don't have a clue about airport design but praise Thailand for a job well done, Jeez :whistling:

Indeed, and most if not all defenders of this crumbling airport on this board don't have a clue about airport design but praise Thailand for a job well done, Jeez :whistling:

You should read a few more posts ....

The design of the airport has nothing to do with how they use (or don't use) the gates.

Who do you fly with to Australia? I fly there regularly and go through a gate EVERY time.

If you're flying with a low cost airline, it's possible they don't want to pay for access to a gate, and instead opt to put their passengers on buses to get them to the terminal.

You should read a few more posts .... http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4001015

I did read Humhprey Bear my dear.

And I did work on Atlanta Hartsfield Int 1977-1980 you dummy and don't think much of Murphy Hann Munich airport design.

We built an automated train to connect the terminal with the concourses amongst a million things missed out at Swampy :o

That huge roof at Swampy!!! and worse, the loudness in the terminal, not a quit airport, sure Thais like a lot of noise around them.

Edited by tartempion