Cheap Charlie Falang

RamdomChances

I've seen quite a few posts with referances to "Cheap Charlie Falang" what actualy is it? Is it a bad thing?

Here one from Jai Dee, from toasters BBQ thread

I don't want to sound snobbish or anything, but I just find that the falungs in these places are usually the cheap charlie variety, and the quality of food is poor.
and another from davethailand (pattaya bars)
Anywhere in walking st basically, the 3rd rd places are for thais (or cheap charlie farangs)

An other

Please note that I'm not one of the Cheap Charlies, I don't mind paying tea money or whatever if it makes my life easier, it's not like I'm short a bob or two and if I finance a Thai family's dinner
I've just picked a few quotes out not targeting anyone in particular.

Is'nt it bad enough that most Thais have a stereotype of all falangs being loaded and throwing money around, Do we falangs have to reinforce this? Do all falangs here have to be rich, even if you are is there anything wrong with wanting to pay the same as a local? or hang out at the same places as the locals?

Personaly I like value for money and a lot of the time(espacially in BKK) I'm more comfertable in the "Thai" style places. I tip like a thai and I expect thai prices. I dont see why falangs as expected to throw money around just because they are falangs, or do we all have to try and maintain the image that all falangs have money to burn?

RC

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two types of cheap charlies -

one who has money but leaves you with the bill or is over tight with cash.

the other is one that cannot afford a drink and should get himself on the next plane out of here.

If a bloke is broke, fair enough (we have all been there), but hanging around Thailand with no cash is pittifull - get out regroup and come back.

RC, lend me a couple hundred Baht will ya :o

the other is one that cannot afford a drink and should get himself on the next plane out of here.

If a bloke is broke, fair enough (we have all been there), but hanging around Thailand with no cash is pittifull - get out regroup and come back.

Ok, that's good to know I don't meet either criteria. :o

Guess I'm just frugal... :D:D

Guess I'm just frugal... :D  :o

being economical is an admirable trait.

recently I have become a bit more generous than normal ( normally biayatt ) with my tipping as I watch the impact of the fuel increases bite.

but like I said to a mate who admonished me once about tipping here in thailand - I will stop tipping when I have the same amount of money as they have.

I know a few lend me 100 Baht Farangs......

And never saw anyone of them working anything.

RC, lend me a couple hundred Baht will ya  :o

There is a third type, Torn:

One who will walk down the road to buy something that's Bht 1.00 cheaper. (Put me on that list as long as it's not too far). :o:D

There is a third type, Torn:

One who will walk down the road to buy something that's Bht 1.00 cheaper. (Put me on that list as long as it's not too far). :o:D

Scampy used to do that, he would leave the pub in Rawai to buy smokes at the mini mart - saving = 5 baht :D:D:D

Personaly I like value for money and a lot of the time(espacially in BKK) I'm more comfertable in the "Thai" style places. I tip like a thai and I expect thai prices. I dont see why falangs as expected to throw money around just because they are falangs, or do we all have to try and maintain the image that all falangs have money to burn?

RC

And what exactly is a "Thai" style place? Thai people are not all poor rice farmers from Esan, you know...... :o

Personally, I have a foot in both worlds - the Foodland/Emporium/Sunday Lunch at the Marriott, Weekend in Hua Hin world, as well as the "grab a bite at the local stall on the way back from work to my house in the suburbs/shop at the local wet market" kind of life. :D

Have been on a shoestring budget before, and could easily do it again, but thanks too some hard work, careful planning and a bit of luck, I doubt if I ever have too. :D

At least now I have a choice as to where I want to spend my time/money. And having the privilege of a choice is much more important to me then what I actually choose...

I guess the farang population here is as varied as the Thai population. My attitude is that as long as you add something of value to the society here, and don't break any laws, and remain on good terms with the people you mix with, good on you!

I'm glad about that, seeing the first quote was mine... :D

Is'nt it bad enough that most Thais have a stereotype of all falangs being loaded and throwing money around, Do we falangs have to reinforce this? Do all falangs here have to be rich, even if you are is there anything wrong with wanting to pay the same as a local? or hang out at the same places as the locals?

I don't maintain that all us expats (or falangs) have an affluent image to maintain, but to put my quote in context... I consider people to be "kinneow" or "cheap charlie" if they think nothing of spending all afternoon shopping for DVD's and T-shirts in Walking Street, and buying their heinikins (and lady drinks) in the beer bars, then go to one of those all-you-can-eat for 89 baht Korean style BBQ places, then head off to the go-go bars... :D

That's the context of where my quote was lifted from... OK? :D

Personally, I spend more time (and money) in Thai restaurants and entertainment venues than falung venues... because I prefer to. I enjoy the food, the company, the service, the music, the respect and recognition... and I pay Thai prices and tip Thai style too... I always greet and joke with the service staff and management of my regular haunts... and am greeted and respected in return.

The "kinneow" falung that think nothing of spending up on copy goods and bargirls, then opt for the cheapest meal possible, is not in my opinion the type of falung that is likely to earn any respect from me or the Thais. :o

I've seen quite a few posts with referances to "Cheap Charlie Falang" what actualy is it? Is it a bad thing?

Here one from Jai Dee, from toasters BBQ thread

I don't want to sound snobbish or anything, but I just find that the falungs in these places are usually the cheap charlie variety, and the quality of food is poor.

and another from davethailand (pattaya bars)

Anywhere in walking st basically, the 3rd rd places are for thais (or cheap charlie farangs)
An other
Please note that I'm not one of the Cheap Charlies, I don't mind paying tea money or whatever if it makes my life easier, it's not like I'm short a bob or two and if I finance a Thai family's dinner

RC

Good topic Randy - I think the phrase is one used mainly by good time girls with multiple boyfriends who are too used to being treated to holidays and hotels by 2 week holiday makers who fly out once or twice a year.

They are probably not used to paying for anything themselves.

When I return to Thailand I will be earning 24,000 a week which is enough to fund my lifestyle without associating with people who are more interested in my wage than me as a person/scamp.

Good topic Randy - I think the phrase is one used mainly by good time girls with multiple boyfriends who are too used to being treated to holidays and hotels by 2 week holiday makers who fly out once or twice a year.

When I return to Thailand I will be earning 24,000 a week which is enough to fund my lifestyle without associating with people who are more interested in my wage than me as a person/scamp.

I thought RC was specifically asking about the farang usage of this phrase and it's rather negative connotations? :o

But I suppose a bigger question is whether or not, when you return, will you still walk the same distance to save 5 baht on smokes?

:D

24,000 baht/week is pretty good money. Whats your secret ?

RC

And what exactly is a "Thai" style place? Thai people are not all poor rice farmers from Esan, you know...... :o

Personally, I have a foot in both worlds - the Foodland/Emporium/Sunday Lunch at the Marriott, Weekend in Hua Hin world, as well as the "grab a bite at the local stall on the way back from work to my house in the suburbs/shop at the local wet market" kind of life. :D

Have been on a shoestring budget before, and could easily do it again, but thanks too some hard work, careful planning and a bit of luck, I doubt if I ever have too. :D

At least now I have a choice as to where I want to spend my time/money. And having the privilege of a choice is much more important to me then what I actually choose...

I guess the farang population here is as varied as the Thai population. My attitude is that as long as you add something of value to the society here, and don't break any laws, and remain on good terms with the people you mix with, good on you!

excellent post - i do like to have that choice too!

and by the way, "Thai style places" in Bangkok are f.e. the upscale bars which are for Thais only, same as bars in Tokio for members only, farangs (maybe) if introduced by Thais, but forget about usual bar prices, they are way higher!

To Jai Dee : "kinneow" agree that most spending in bars is unnecessary, but what is wrong with a "cheap meal" , maybe in a street footstall ? usually the food is excellent! and no waiting!

I can actually say that I have never checked a happy hour time or checked the price on any drink in any bar. I have been surprised a few times when the bill comes, but its not a major deal.

The drink is secondary to me, its the company that attracts me, not the price.

But I suppose a bigger question is whether or not, when you return, will you still walk the same distance to save 5 baht on smokes?

:o

I think the question is why you walk the distance to save 5 baht........

Personally, I often do it because I want to support the people with a slimmer profit margin, not because I have to.

Edited by WhiteShiva

Good point Whiteshiva! I agree. If somebody makes a good effort to sell value for money - be it resonably priced beer or food, then I want to support them.

The fact that I sometimes support Shangri La/Qbar Etc. instead does not change the above.

Cheers!

Edited by Firefan

:D

I think the question is why you walk the distance to save 5 baht........

Personally, I often do it because I want to support the people with a slimmer profit margin, not because I have to.

please take a bow, had a great laugh :o

To Jai Dee : "kinneow" agree that most spending in bars is unnecessary, but what is wrong with a "cheap meal" , maybe in a street footstall ? usually the food is excellent! and no waiting!

Nothing at all... please read my explanation in this thread.

:o

My definition of a Cheap Charlie is a 'Balloon-spotter'.

The type of farang that sees which bars are putting up balloons because it is someone's birthday. They then come back in the evening to eat the free food whilst nursing a bottle of cola.

My definition of a Cheap Charlie is a 'Balloon-spotter'.

The type of farang that sees which bars are putting up balloons because it is someone's birthday. They then come back in the evening to eat the free food whilst nursing a bottle of cola.

:o I agree! There is a Kiwi guy in Phuket that is well known for that - free food and a coke :D

To each their own – if you want to spend thousands of baht at the bars (on booze &/or women), and then haggle with the street vendors over 5 baht - no problem, your prerogative.

Everyone has the right to spend the money they earn in the way they see fit.

No tip – no problem. Again your money; spend it as you see fit. Pay the bill and tip based upon the service you receive - tipping is not mandatory. Needless to say with the wonderful level of customer service available in Thailand you can guess how much/often I end up tipping.

Generally speaking I do end up paying a premium for some goods and services – but only those that have sufficient quality to merit that premium. Who determines “sufficient quality” – the buyer.

Don’t bust someone’s balls because of how they choose to spend their money.

I will add an exception for SB’s “ballon spotter” – anyone that does not actually pay for goods/services fall into another category all together.

Edited by TokyoT

Farangs who try to avoid paying the drinks bill and leave it to their friends.

That does require a certain artistry.

Fortunately the victims are well chosen and, whilst they are clever enough to recognise they are being minorly shaken-down (the perp thinking he has been so subtle as to get away with it), they are philosophical enough to disregard it.

If such perennial bill payers are here, lets meet for a beer !

24,000 baht/week is pretty good money. Whats your secret ?

Drink beer out of your friend's shoe ? :o:D

Explorer :D