Cheap Charlie Falang

RamdomChances

But I suppose a bigger question is whether or not, when you return, will you still walk the same distance to save 5 baht on smokes?

:D

I think the question is why you walk the distance to save 5 baht........

Personally, I often do it because I want to support the people with a slimmer profit margin, not because I have to.

please take a bow, had a great laugh :o

Will do, but think perhaps you missed my point.

An example: If you have two shops selling an identical product (let's for arguments sake say a pack of sigarettes), but shop one is trying to ask for a higher price than shop two (even if just 5 baht), I would normally not mind spending a few minutes to walk to the other shop where the price is more reasonable.

I couldn't tell you to the nearest thousand baht how much money I have in my wallet right now, and I always tip generously when given good service (my wife usually gives me a hard time for this! :D ), but I prefer spending my money where value is given. Even if it just 5 baht.

Dunno what your point is - I am definitely not stingy - I have even been know to drink coffee at Starbucks!! .....I guess I may be accused of bad taste, but that is another matter alltogether.... :D

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My definition of a Cheap Charlie is a 'Balloon-spotter'.

The type of farang that sees which bars are putting up balloons because it is someone's birthday. They then come back in the evening to eat the free food whilst nursing a bottle of cola.

Never go near "balloon" pubs myself. Not that I've got anything against free beer, it's just that it takes half the night to get to the bar therefore you end up with two beers all night. I'd much prefer to drink at my own pace in another bar and pay for it.

When I return to Thailand I will be earning 24,000 a week which is enough to fund my lifestyle without associating with people who are more interested in my wage than me as a person/scamp.

24,000 baht/week is pretty good money. Whats your secret ?

Drink beer out of your friend's shoe ? :o:D

Drink beer out of your friend's shoe ?

What????????????? :D:D:D I must be thick, don't understand that at all

But I suppose a bigger question is whether or not, when you return, will you still walk the same distance to save 5 baht on smokes?

I think the question is why you walk the distance to save 5 baht........

Personally, I often do it because I want to support the people with a slimmer profit margin, not because I have to.

please take a bow, had a great laugh :D

Will do, but think perhaps you missed my point.

An example: If you have two shops selling an identical product (let's for arguments sake say a pack of sigarettes), but shop one is trying to ask for a higher price than shop two (even if just 5 baht), I would normally not mind spending a few minutes to walk to the other shop where the price is more reasonable.

I couldn't tell you to the nearest thousand baht how much money I have in my wallet right now, and I always tip generously when given good service (my wife usually gives me a hard time for this! :D ), but I prefer spending my money where value is given. Even if it just 5 baht.

Dunno what your point is - I am definitely not stingy - I have even been know to drink coffee at Starbucks!! .....I guess I may be accused of bad taste, but that is another matter alltogether.... :D

explained well mate :D Im the same in some regards - I never buy from 7/11 if there is a Thai minmart near. Although Im not particulary fond of walking, I do go those extra yards in my own area.

leaving a bar to save 5 baht on smokes is another story - hey Scamp :o

A real "Cheap Charlie" in my opinion is the type that will rent the cheapest hovel of an apartment just because it is cheap! He can afford better. He'll also go to the supermarket and buy cheap beer or a bottle of Sang Som and sit in his room alone drinking it. It'll cost him 10 Baht more to go and sit with friends (if he has any!) at the little Thai place down the road. He'll go to eat at the "All you can eat breakfast" because he doesn't like Thai food and will only eat 1 time per day.

Basically, he is a scrooge who doesn't like to enjoy himself, because it may cost money. He will die rich, but unhappy and alone.

However, someone who looks for value for money and objects to paying more because he is a foreigner is not a "Cheap Charlie".

I have been called a CC because I used to pay 5 Baht for the Songthaew in Pattaya. This I don't understand. 5 Baht was the correct fare, so why should I be expected to pay 10 Baht. Percentage wise, that's paying double. Those of you who have called me a CC - If you went to Big C and your shopping comes to 1000 Baht, The cashier looks up and says " Oh, Farang, in that case 2000 Baht please! What would you say? Would you pay the farang surcharge?

Personaly I like value for money and a lot of the time(espacially in BKK) I'm more comfertable in the "Thai" style places. I tip like a thai and I expect thai prices. I dont see why falangs as expected to throw money around just because they are falangs, or do we all have to try and maintain the image that all falangs have money to burn?

RC

And what exactly is a "Thai" style place? Thai people are not all poor rice farmers from Esan, you know...... :o

Personally, I have a foot in both worlds - the Foodland/Emporium/Sunday Lunch at the Marriott, Weekend in Hua Hin world, as well as the "grab a bite at the local stall on the way back from work to my house in the suburbs/shop at the local wet market" kind of life. :D

Have been on a shoestring budget before, and could easily do it again, but thanks too some hard work, careful planning and a bit of luck, I doubt if I ever have too. :D

At least now I have a choice as to where I want to spend my time/money. And having the privilege of a choice is much more important to me then what I actually choose...

I guess the farang population here is as varied as the Thai population. My attitude is that as long as you add something of value to the society here, and don't break any laws, and remain on good terms with the people you mix with, good on you!

Solid post pal. clearly the OP is trying to state that he wishes to live like an f'ing peasant. No matter how many showers he takes, he can't wash the farang off and will always look like a mega cheapie to Thais. If Thais had farang cash then they would spend it and not live like peasants as this keenyow does. Living like that aint my cup of coffee. Thais do it cause they have to. Farangs who do are perceived as, and are hosebags IMO

clearly the OP is trying to state that he wishes to live like an f'ing peasant.

I didn't read it like that... :D

Neither did I!

Does The Dude look down on Peasants? The addition of the expletive suggests that he does and therefore considers that Farang are far superior to the Thai farmers.

CLEARLY that is what The Dude is saying :o

Solid post pal. clearly the OP is trying to state that he wishes to live like an f'ing peasant. No matter how many showers he takes, he can't wash the farang off and will always look like a mega cheapie to Thais. If Thais had farang cash then they would spend it and not live like peasants as this keenyow does. Living like that aint my cup of coffee. Thais do it cause they have to. Farangs who do are perceived as, and are hosebags IMO

is this some sort of attempt at a troll? if not I suggest you go and read a few of RC's posts in the past to understand who he is and how he lives and why. IMO you come across as a pretentious tw@t - I have a lot of respect for RC and am not very impressed to see you badmouth him in this way - pull your head in.

I have a foot in both camps - like Whiteshiva.

I DO however love a good deal, be it at a Thai or foreign place!

Good happy hour deals and good/decent food for a fair price will always attract me.

Cheers!

Absolutely nothing wrong with that whatsoever. However, what we have here is an OP talking about cheap Charlie extremism. He is not talking about going out and getting a good deal. He's not talking about happy hour, paying 5 baht for a patt taxi or saving 5 baht on a pack of cigs. He's talking about shafting people out of tips cause thais don't tip and so on. This is not your basic intelligent farang saving cash where possible. This is someone living on the dirt cheap with an agenda against average frugal farangs who don't feel a need to take cheapness to the extreme level that he's talking about. I steer way clear of that level of cheapness as does the average farang. farangs who take it there are despised by Thais rightfully so

clearly the OP is trying to state that he wishes to live like an f'ing peasant.

I didn't read it like that... :D

Neither did I!

Does The Dude look down on Peasants? The addition of the expletive suggests that he does and therefore considers that Farang are far superior to the Thai farmers.

CLEARLY that is what The Dude is saying :o

no I dont look down on peasants, at all. quite the contrary. However, I do look down heavily on farangs who come here and boast of living like one.

I always understood that a cheap charlie is epitimised by those who chase around the happy hours in the bars. I quite like happy hours but more because they are normally more crowded. However I usually tend to drink cocktails or Kloster which are never included in the cheap deal.

Always dismays my cheap charlie drinking buddies who are buying the next round...

A real "Cheap Charlie" in my opinion is the type that will rent the cheapest hovel of an apartment just because it is cheap!

No

He can afford better.

No

He'll also go to the supermarket and buy cheap beer or a bottle of Sang Som and sit in his room alone drinking it.

No

It'll cost him 10 Baht more to go and sit with friends (if he has any!) at the little Thai place down the road.

I'd go down the road

He'll go to eat at the "All you can eat breakfast" because he doesn't like Thai food and will only eat 1 time per day.

No

Basically, he is a scrooge who doesn't like to enjoy himself,

No

because it may cost money.

I don't mind

He will die rich,

No

but unhappy

No

and alone.

I hope not

However, someone who looks for value for money

Yes

and objects to paying more because he is a foreigner

Yes

is not a "Cheap Charlie".

PHEW!... took the more extensive "Cheap Charlie" criteria test and STILL passed...

Terrific!

Edited by sriracha john

Good happy hour deals and good/decent food for a fair price will always attract me.

Cheers!

Absolutely nothing wrong with that whatsoever. However, what we have here is an OP talking about cheap Charlie extremism. He is not talking about going out and getting a good deal. He's not talking about happy hour, paying 5 baht for a patt taxi or saving 5 baht on a pack of cigs. He's talking about shafting people out of tips cause thais don't tip and so on. This is not your basic intelligent farang saving cash where possible. This is someone living on the dirt cheap with an agenda against average frugal farangs who don't feel a need to take cheapness to the extreme level that he's talking about. I steer way clear of that level of cheapness as does the average farang. farangs who take it there are despised by Thais rightfully so

You are entitled to your opinion about “cheap charlies” and you can categorize them as you see fit. But I think you are off the mark on the both the OP and the poster. IMHO RC is not (nor does his OP) reflect the type of person you are showing displeasure for.

There are certainly farang living in /visiting Thailand that take cheap to new extreme’s, you don’t like this fine. But who is “shafting” anyone out of a tip? When did tipping become mandatory? In fact the OP even states he “tips like a Thai” – how is this shafting anyone out of a tip? He is leaving a tip.

Personally if I get crappy service I leave no tip – here or anywhere else in the world I travel. Tipping for poor service only reinforces poor service. If I get reasonable service I leave a Thai level tip, and if I get good/great service I leave a bigger tip.

People have every right to spend the money they earn in any why they see fit.

Cheers!

You are entitled to your opinion about “cheap charlies” and you can categorize them as you see fit. But I think you are off the mark on the both the OP and the poster. IMHO RC is not (nor does his OP) reflect the type of person you are showing displeasure for.

There are certainly farang living in /visiting Thailand that take cheap to new extreme’s, you don’t like this fine. But who is “shafting” anyone out of a tip? When did tipping become mandatory? In fact the OP even states he “tips like a Thai” – how is this shafting anyone out of a tip? He is leaving a tip.

Personally if I get crappy service I leave no tip – here or anywhere else in the world I travel. Tipping for poor service only reinforces poor service. If I get reasonable service I leave a Thai level tip, and if I get good/great service I leave a bigger tip.

People have every right to spend the money they earn in any why they see fit.

Good post TokyoT. I like a certain restaurant in Jomtien and the waitresses differ depending on the time of day. I always tip pretty generously if the service is good. Anyway, there was this one waitress that always looked like she was chewing a Wasp, never smiled, acted like she was doing you a favour bringing your food and drink, you know the type, so i never tipped her. One day my wife overheard her talking to another waitress about me being a "Cheap Charlie" and the other waitress saying "oh no, he tip good to me all the time". Eventually the "penny dropped" and she now knows about Customer Service. Her Tips have now increased dramatically, off me anyway. :o

Mr BoJ

They say that imitation is a sign of appreciation – sriracha john, liked what ya did so I am following suite. I hope you feel appreciated. You too loong

A real "Cheap Charlie" in my opinion is the type that will rent the cheapest hovel of an apartment just because it is cheap!

No

He can afford better.

Yes - but my place is far from a hovel, and it would probably be a waste to spend more for a bigger/nicer place

He'll also go to the supermarket and buy cheap beer or a bottle of Sang Som and sit in his room alone drinking it.

No - no booze in my place (room) at all

It'll cost him 10 Baht more to go and sit with friends (if he has any!) at the little Thai place down the road.

Keeping no booze at home gives me a ready made excuse to take the walk down the road

He'll go to eat at the "All you can eat breakfast" because he doesn't like Thai food and will only eat 1 time per day.

Yes/no - I love "All you can eat breakfast" - Breakfast is my favorite meal, but I cannot do with only one meal a day.

Basically, he is a scrooge who doesn't like to enjoy himself, because it may cost money.

No - I have been known to enjoy myself evey now and then :oEven have been known to include someone of the opposite sex every now and again :D

He will die rich,

Not unless they change the definition of rich.

but unhappy

Hopefully not.

and alone.

Hopefully so - I don't want to be responsible for taking anyone with me when I die. :D

However, someone who looks for value for money

Yes

and objects to paying more because he is a foreigner

YES

Edited by TokyoT

And what exactly is a "Thai" style place? Thai people are not all poor rice farmers from Esan, you know......
IMO a "Thai" style place is where most Thai people hang out, or you would find the majority of people there Thai. I used the word "style" and the " " over thai because its such a subjective statment. I also know that all Thai people are not "poor farmers from Esarn" In fact I dont even know any "poor farmers from Esarn"
I'm glad about that, seeing the first quote was mine...
Sorry about that Jai Dee, just did a search and yours happened to be the first, just using it as an example, mabye out of context.

Loong

I have been called a CC because I used to pay 5 Baht for the Songthaew in Pattaya. This I don't understand. 5 Baht was the correct fare, so why should I be expected to pay 10 Baht. Percentage wise, that's paying double. Those of you who have called me a CC - If you went to Big C and your shopping comes to 1000 Baht, The cashier looks up and says " Oh, Farang, in that case 2000 Baht please! What would you say? Would you pay the farang surcharge?
Thats the sort of thing I was talking about. Its not about how much you pay or tip, just why should we as Falangs be expected to pay more. I always leave tips at bars and resteraunts but should I have to leave more than a Thai person? otherwise I might be considered "cheap"
The Dude
:o:D:D A+ for effort, but C- for reading and comprehension

I don't see anything wrong with the idea of paying local prices, well maybe a

little over the local rate as I am a farang.

What I do object to is the tourist who swans in with dollars bursting out of

his pockets an paying way over the real (local) price.

This does not help anyone and just adds to inflation which hurts the people of the country.

The Dude
:D:D:D A+ for effort, but C- for reading and comprehension

And an A+ for enthusiasm... :o

and F for not responding to the original "thedude" when he pointed out to "The Dude" there was already "A" dude.... :D

Never mind what is a "Cheap Charlie" what exactly is a "Dude" anyway :D

Mr BoJ

Edited by mrbojangles

And what exactly is a "Thai" style place? Thai people are not all poor rice farmers from Esan, you know......

IMO a "Thai" style place is where most Thai people hang out, or you would find the majority of people there Thai. I used the word "style" and the " " over thai because its such a subjective statment. I also know that all Thai people are not "poor farmers from Esarn" In fact I dont even know any "poor farmers from Esarn"

I am probably playing the Devil's advocate here but there is no single place where most (as in 30 million+) Thai people hang out, and in most of the top restaurants & bars in Thailand, the majority of patrons are Thai. We are stereotyping here, which is never a good idea.

I would go so far as to claim that there are no "Thai" style places in this country. :D

There are a number of farang, japanese, indian, etc places, but sometimes even there, the Thais will be the majority. For example - how many American cattle hearders do you find in the Country & Western style establishments that dot the Thai landscape....? :D

Furthermore, even at the humble road-side stalls and restaurants, it is not uncommon to find well-off Thais eating. They may do it to save time, because the food really is (!) good, for sentimental reasons, because they like the atmosphere, etc. But I am pretty sure they don;t do it to save money.

He11, I love eating in these places, even if I can afford more expensive places.

Guess I am a Cheap Charlie after all..... :o

A real "Cheap Charlie" in my opinion is the type that will rent the cheapest hovel of an apartment just because it is cheap! He can afford better. He'll also go to the supermarket and buy cheap beer or a bottle of Sang Som and sit in his room alone drinking it. It'll cost him 10 Baht more to go and sit with friends (if he has any!) at the little Thai place down the road. He'll go to eat at the "All you can eat breakfast" because he doesn't like Thai food and will only eat 1 time per day.

Basically, he is a scrooge who doesn't like to enjoy himself, because it may cost money. He will die rich, but unhappy and alone.

I dream of that kind of life. Mine is much sadder and more down-to-earth.

To be honest, I try to assimilate into Thai society, learn and observe customs, learn the language (much to the amusement of every Thai on the planet), I have Thai friends, like Thai food, beer and so on. I love LOS and want to stay.

However, I sometimes eat farang food, I have farang friends, I like certain western things like power showers, air con and so on - what I'm trying to say is that assimilation does not, IMHO, require closing the door on a previous life. I'm lucky - I'm well-off (by Thai standards, anyway) and can do pretty much whatever I like to do. I choose my way of life, and am more than happy to tip well for good service (but not for bad service).

There's probably a touch of guilt involved, that I'm healthy and happy and have a decent standard of living. There's also the fact that if the average Thai had my level of income, he/she would probably improve their standard of living.

Heard it all before: "No, winning £17m on the lottery won't change my life. I'll still turn up for work at the box factory......." Yeah, right.