Cheap Charlie Falang

RamdomChances

Our local (well about 8 km away) 7/11 is great, has different types of bread, bacon,ham, butter. Which is'nt bad for an "out in the sticks" place. I used to buy all of that in Nakorn (BigC or Macro) but it worth paying the extra and supporting the local shop just for the conviance.

Stoped buying milk there though as I can now pasturise my own, its saves 20 bhat a liter :o

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:o G'day folks, I must say that this is a very interesting topic/thread. When my wife and I visit the family in the Kingdom we try to stick to a budget. IMHO I don't think there is anything wrong with being a bit fugal with ones money when on holiday, or even taking the family out to dinner or even living there, after all, money doesn't grow on trees, and the quicker the Thai people realize this the better Thailand will be. Just because I am a Farang and can afford (because I've worked hard and saved), it doesn't mean I have to splurge it around. Unless ofcourse one is employed by an American company and has an allowance as long as ones arm. I also hate tipping (just another legacy from the US of A ) and like some one said " it's not compulsory. :D

:o G'day folks, I must say that this is a very interesting topic/thread.  When my wife and I visit the family in the Kingdom we try to stick to a budget.  IMHO I don't think there is anything wrong with being a bit fugal with ones money when on holiday, or even taking the family out to dinner or even living there, after all, money doesn't grow on trees, and the quicker the Thai people realize this the better Thailand will be.  Just because I am a Farang and can afford (because I've worked hard and saved), it doesn't mean I have to splurge it around.  Unless ofcourse one is employed by an American company and has an allowance as long as ones arm.  I also hate tipping (just another legacy from the US of A ) and like some one said " it's not compulsory. :D

I think Thai people do realise that money does not grow on trees!! You sound very patronising, and maybe a cheap charlie too.

As a Farang, you get a massive salary compared to most Thais, and any savings mean so much more in Thailand. Don't be mean, tip a little, make someones day happier.

I think Thai people do realise that money does not grow on trees!! You sound very patronising, and maybe a cheap charlie too.

I lot of Thai people Do think money grows on trees as far as farang are concerned.

Rule for Tip in Thailand, to get a smile...

1. Less than 100 Baht bill,in regular eating places no tip. If it is a new place if cheap and food & coffee is hot enough can pay 10 Bhat tip.

2. Bill 100-500 Baht 20 Bhat note is good enough.

3. Bill 500- 1000 Baht - 30/40 Bhat

4. Bill 1000-2000 Baht - 50/100 Baht.

5. Above 2000 Bhat tip depends on the service/your group.

A couple of months ago 4 guys were in a London restaurant and the Bill for their (Birthday Boys)meal came to just a sov or 2 over £43,000....included a nice bottle of plonk right enough. :D

Following on and to the waiters delight (poor local underpaid illegal immigrants probabally-Londoners )the TIT lads bunged them a £5k tip but it was only mentioned afterwards that a 10% service charge had already been added to their "gep tang"...but M.P.Rai.......must have been tourists :D

Competition is hotting up to avoid being labeled a Cheap Charlies ...innit....

Mai mee s-tang :o

Whoops something went wrong there, but my point is that 7/11's are an integral part of our lives for many of us, where would we be in the wee small hours without them.

They are all independently owned as a franchise and have to give 52% of the profit they make back to the franchise, so I SUPPORT them. Mini Marts can close when they like, 7's are obliged to open all hours, and the owners are on call 24/7.

Please bear that in mind next time you want to save that 5 baht!

Ok .... I get your point.... but owners of the franchise are aware of the commitments before they buy the franchise right...?

So why the need to give them support because they are getting such a raw deal... nobody forced them into it... :o

it doesn't make sense..!

Me - I just go to the nearest shop.... I certainly wouldn't travel out of my way to shop at a 7-11 just because the owners have to give 52% of the profit back :D

totster :D

I'm with you Tots, I would not go OUT OF MY WAY to shop at Seven, I just wanted to make my point thats all :D

Everything is cheaper at Tesco :D

PS WhiteShiva's post above refers to "30 million+" Thais - but I am fairly sure it's actually 60 million +... seriously, please tell me if I am wrong - I do recall some promo a while back when the 60 millionth baby was born.

If there are 60 mill Thais, then 30 mill + would qualify as 'most' ie more than half

fair point... I was actually thinking that the implication was that 30+ million was most Thais, rather than a little over half, but I guess I missed the point - that being that more than 30/60ths of the population must by definition be "most".

I stand corrected :o

I guess I'm more of a Lunatic Luke than a Cheap Charlie.

On my last trip I usually gave nothing to beggars but then 100 baht to one. (He had no legs so he probably didn't run to the bank laughing.)

On Pattaya beach I deliberately sneaked into a toilet several times to avoid the 5 baht fee because the toilet was really not clean enough - in Chiang Mai I paid 20 instead of 2 because the facility was well cared for.

In many restaurants I gave only a 0-20 baht tip, but to one waiter 300 baht, as he was quite helpful. I hope he enjoyed the evening as much as I did.

Edited by Krit

Rule for Tip in Thailand, to get a smile...

1. Less than 100 Baht bill,in regular eating places no tip. If it is a new place if cheap and food & coffee is hot enough can pay 10 Bhat tip.

2. Bill 100-500 Baht 20 Bhat note is good enough.

3. Bill 500- 1000 Baht - 30/40 Bhat

4. Bill 1000-2000 Baht - 50/100 Baht.

5. Above 2000 Bhat tip depends on the service/your group.

Living beyond your means is the same as your money lives someplace you are not. :D

There are no rules on tips in Thailand not even a small quote will change this. I dont know where you got these figures but they are so far off you must live in Indonesia? :o:D

If I got it I give it, if not tuff titty :D