There Are Good Guys Out There!

mouse

Every day we read about bad cops taking bribes, pay off's, officials getting invloved in this and that, even Policemen killing tourist for no apparent reason. Well, it is time for a good story.

Recently two young french couples were riding their bicycles on their way to the north of Thailand. After 5 days of having pedalled all the way from Bangkok, they came to pass a small village near Kamphaeng Phet. Not knowing that there were no close or upcoming accomodations on their route to Tak (their intended destination for that day), they contined cycling. This although the sun was setting and it was not wise to be out and about as a stranger within the beautiful yet sometimes surprising Land of Smiles.

Then along came "Captain Charlie" as he is known throughout the province. One of the most professional and friendliest Police Officers I have personally come to know within Thailand. He loads their bicycles into his truck and takes them to his nearest Police station in a village near Kamphaeng Phet. Once there, he provides them with a shower, a hearty meal and a dry place to call their bed for the nite, all this within the the Police Station property. The two French couples are amazed and very thankful. I arrived later, to help them with some questions, travel recommendation and general advise, they seem to bubble over with questions about the surrounding area and the freinliness fo the Police force. "Captain Charlie" will forever remain within their minds one of the pleasant surprises from within Thailand.

"Thank you Captain Charlie for helping those that are innocent in many of the ways of Thailand and giving the Kingdom and it's subjects, the shine and reputation that is deserved".

If you are a higher Police Official and you happen to read this, plese reward Captain Charlie, but please do not promote him out of a position to do good and help those within Thailand or those visiting here.

Every day we read about bad cops taking bribes, pay off's, officials getting invloved in this and that, even Policemen killing tourist for no apparent reason.  Well, it is time for a good story.

Recently two young french couples were riding their bicycles on their way to the north of Thailand.  After 5 days of having pedalled all the way from Bangkok, they came to pass a small village near Kamphaeng Phet.  Not knowing that there were no close or upcoming accomodations on their route to Tak (their intended destination for that day), they contined cycling.  This although the sun was setting and it was not wise to be out and about as a stranger within the beautiful yet sometimes surprising Land of Smiles.

Then along came "Captain Charlie" as he is known throughout the province.  One of the most professional and friendliest Police Officers I have personally come to know within Thailand.  He loads their bicycles into his truck and takes them to his nearest Police station in a village near Kamphaeng Phet.  Once there, he provides them with a shower, a hearty meal and a dry place to call their bed for the nite, all this within the the Police Station property.  The two French couples are amazed and very thankful.  I arrived later, to help them with some questions, travel recommendation and general advise, they seem to bubble over with questions about the surrounding area and the freinliness fo the Police force.  "Captain Charlie" will forever remain within their minds one of the pleasant surprises from within Thailand.

"Thank you Captain Charlie for helping those that are innocent in many of the ways of Thailand and giving the Kingdom and it's subjects, the shine and reputation that is deserved".

If you are a higher Police Official and you happen to read this, plese reward Captain Charlie, but please do not promote him out of a position to do good and help those within Thailand or those visiting here.

I couldn't agree more, Thailand really is a land of smiles and good deeds. Out in the provinces the Police, Immigration, Town Councils are both considerate and helpful. And not only Thais, there are some great Falangs out there as well. Unfortunately on this Forum where anonaminity is a hinderance, rather than an assett, when someone does do, or report a good deed, like in a previous post, more morons that in real life, wouldn't say boo to a goose, cut the poster to shreds with remarks like' What do you want ? A <deleted> medal?' I know one that reported a good deed on a post concerning this and got slated something rotten. He will not be telling anyone of good things any more. But to me L.o.S. IS L.o.S. and always will be. :o:D:D

Great post mouse... too many time we read about the downsides... it is refreshing to read of the upsides as well.

:D

I would hazard a guess that most (if not all) of us that live here know that the upsides far outweigh the downsides... and it's great to hear of them happening to others as well.

Good on you Captain Charlie. :o

I have lived in Thailand for 10 months and before I lived in Malaysia for one year. I can say that I have never had a bad experience with any government official, including police, in either country. They have always behaved in a polite and professional manner. I can not say the same with my similar experiences in my own counrty USA. I go out of my away to avoid any contact with the police there. I am a straight looking middle class white boy who does not drink to excess or use drugs. I had several unpleasant experiences with local police there when I was doing things and in places where I had a perfect right to be. As for corruption, there is plent of it there. Much of the local sheriff and small cities personnel is based on an elected chief and a "good old boy" network. The system is long overdue for major change, but I don't thiink it is likely. I feel much less restricted in SE Asia, with the exception of Myanmarr.

Very nice post. Thanks for writing it. I wholeheartedly agree in recognizing his outstanding performance. Any chance of finding "Captain Charlie's" full Thai name? It could then be sent to his superiors, via eg email, for recognition. His bosses need to hear it.

:o

Very nice post. Thanks for writing it. I wholeheartedly agree in recognizing his outstanding performance. Any chance of finding "Captain Charlie's" full Thai name? It could then be sent to his superiors, via eg email, for recognition. His bosses need to hear it.

:o

Hear hear. :D

...but please do not promote him...

But you might want to leave that bit out. :D

Cool Capt. Charlie. :D I agree the Thai police have been good to me for 25 yrs. :D Also,I agree with an earlier post about US police. I avoid them on my yearly trip. :o Still good to have them though. :D

I would bet the US doesn't have a Captain Charlie though. :D