The Intermittentnet

IanForbes

I must apologize for posting all the photos I have in the past. I forgot that Chiang Mai hadn't joined the rest of the modern world in having high speed internet that actually stays connected long enough to post on a topic. I can imagine all the frustrated people waiting vainly for one of my photo heavy replies to load... and then have everything go off line to lose everything they've written and posted. I like to post with photos but I'll try not to do so anymore.

The Thai hotel where I stay on Wiang Phing road is supposed to have ADSL, but it's off more often than not,, and seldom reaches the speed of an old dial up phone.

Wireless is the wave of the future here. I don't see fiber optic happening anytime in the next decade for the retail consumer, and ADSL only reaches people with a phone landline. Whereas everyone in Thailand has a mobile phone, or 2 or 3.

They have 3G wireless service on Mt Everest in Nepal now.

And in Cambodia 3G as well.

Malaysia just rolled out 4G with one carrier.

Thailand seems to be moving backwards, not forwards as far as internet connectivity.

Resolutely 2G, and proud of it. As Finance Minister Korn mentioned in a recent interview in the BKK Post business section, a few immensely wealthy Thai families who are major stakeholders in keeping the status quo and the endless stream of concession license money streaming in don't want to see competition.

What is amusing about this are all the hi-so Bangkok folks, with their shiny new iPhone 4s and Blackberrys- all working on EDGE or fake 3G which is soooo last century. Like owning a Ferrari with a lawnmower motor inside. All show, no go.

At this rate, we'll all be plucking a banjo in a mangrove swamp, and writing post cards to communicate.:blink:

Too bad they can't follow the lead of the universities. We have a 1Gbps fiber optic backbone for the campus and my server is 1Gbps fiber connection to it. My first job offer in Thailand was at another university in Korat to be campus wide network manager designing and implementing a fiber optic backbone with all departments on it. That was 18 years ago for that particular campus! My torrent downloads sometimes hit 17 - 20 Mbps with a peak a couple of times around 36 Mbps. ;)

BTW - My home connection is via my mobile EDGE and gives me around 180 - 250 Kbps consistent and reliable speeds which is fine for e-mail, browsing and the occasional downloads. After reading all the problems member have with Internet ISPs, decided the stability and consistency is more important to me then the speed for home use.