Homeless Farang Sitting All Day On Lower Soi 4 Nana

Lammbock

Hey Guys,

Somebody knows the background of the homeless Farang sitting in front of the Family Mart (between the 2 Massage shops) opposite Raja parking lot?

He seems to be out of money and he is covered in dirt all over his body.

Poor guy.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, please stop by and have a chat with the fellow in question and let us know what's up with this chappy! :whistling:

Cheers! :thumbsup:

There is a farang who (sometimes) hangs around with thai (laos, cambodian??) homeless who have set up base under the Thai-Belgium bridge. I have made eye contact with him tew times while crossing the road to Lumpini park. When i once tried to (only approach him to) talk, he turned nasty. Tried to spit on me. I work in a building on the other side of the road on Sathorn. There is a small temple in one corner of this building (the same as all other big buildings everywhere). The Thais pray in these small temples on certain days in the mornings and leave offerings of food as a symbolic gesture which they take back in the afternoon. And this guy has been caught by the building yam(gaurds) several times trying to steal this food. There is a (traffic) police booth within about 15 metres of where these people sleep but they do nont bother them.

Yes, please stop by and have a chat with the fellow in question and let us know what's up with this chappy! :whistling:

Cheers! :thumbsup:

There is a farang who (sometimes) hangs around with thai (laos, cambodian??) homeless who have set up base under the Thai-Belgium bridge. I have made eye contact with him tew times while crossing the road to Lumpini park. When i once tried to (only approach him to) talk, he turned nasty. Tried to spit on me. I work in a building on the other side of the road on Sathorn. There is a small temple in one corner of this building (the same as all other big buildings everywhere). The Thais pray in these small temples on certain days in the mornings and leave offerings of food as a symbolic gesture which they take back in the afternoon. And this guy has been caught by the building yam(gaurds) several times trying to steal this food. There is a (traffic) police booth within about 15 metres of where these people sleep but they do nont bother them.

Sounds like the average type of farangs that live down my way. Not so much poor, but they would certainly spit on you given half a chance.

And if you did approach one of these down and outs and he really was down on his luck, how much effort would anyone here be prepared to put in to helping him?

And if you did approach one of these down and outs and he really was down on his luck, how much effort would anyone here be prepared to put in to helping him?

I'd be prepared to help to the tune of an International phone call....anywhere he wanted.....certainly no more than that.

Farang scum like those mentioned should be deported, might sound harsh but really they can go live on the streets in their own country.

Well, I`m a farang and no doubt you are too. Now there`s the pot calling the kettle black.

Another point, how can you assume that these people are scum until you have investigated how they got into that situation in the first place?

Comeon, logic man, logic.

Mental illness, alcoholism and apathy from the general pubic, triad for the homeless,

We can speculate there's a broken heart involved, a swindled fortune, a chosen life style, unencumbered and free of restriction.

We've all seen these people and it's obvious this would not be a rational life style alternative for most of us.

I refer back to line one,

It's pretty interesting that there are two threads on this forum about foreigners who seem to be in a distressed state, one the tragic story about the American guy who apparently took his life and now this one about the down and out, who might be broke or maybe mentally ill, who knows.

On the first thread people are criticising themselves and feeling a sense of guilt because they couldn't see this guy was at the end of his tether and on this thread people have the guy in Nana, and others like him. Some people say he should just be dragged off the streets and sent back to his country of origin, whilst others would like to help but are maybe a bit scared of his reaction.

It's a very difficult balance, but I think that if I approached him I might offer him something to eat and drink, but I'm not sure that I would approach him in the first place, and whilst I accept that I really should it can be very difficult.

Edited by theoldgit

Farang scum like those mentioned should be deported, might sound harsh but really they can go live on the streets in their own country.

It does'nt sound harsh, just stupid.

Have'nt you learnt to get to know a little bit about someone before judging them as scum?

I'm sure there are many varying cases.

It does'nt sound harsh, just stupid.

Have'nt you learnt to get to know a little bit about someone before judging them as scum?

I'm sure there are many varying cases.

When you imagine what their current position has done for their self esteem and pride its not surprising to me their first reaction is hostile and aggresive. Throw cheap alcohol into the equation and well......:(

I know of a very decent bloke I met when i first docked on these shores, he ran his own freight company, with some whiny Filpin/Chinese/Thai lady old enough to be his mother.

This guy is one of the most kindest and gentle soul, clean, religious, educated, soft spoken. Then there was a burglary at their work place, the old wench set up her own shop leaving the guy to pay off people who lost cash and stuff at the old office, a loan shark got involved and then the nice guy got married had three kids, then went flat broke, the Thai Mrs left (without the kids).

Then after a long pause, he was found wandering, dazed/lost, around some markets in Minburi eating what he can scavenge. He went thin but still tucked his shirt in, so a rescue was organised and he was put on a plane home, the young ones put in some home or sort here in bKk.

The brain has a way of packing up when you need it most.

i'm a softy but I say give people a little respect. you don't have to help, but no reason to insult.

Good one Loz. Agree. You don't need to be soft to show respect, but I guess you can't moralize about it either. I would make an offer to help, but many others wouldn't. In another life I used to work with homeless people at Charing Cross station, London. Every Christmas they would be given clothes, food, and encouraged to move from their cardboard lodgings. Two weeks after Christmas, everything went back to 'normal', and they were ignored again.

This has to one of the most stupid posts I have ever read.

You know nothing about the person, why he is in this seemingly homeless situation and clearly you don't seem to recognise that everyone - given the right combination of unforeseen circumstances - has the ability to end up in a desperate situation. None of us know the situation so I am surprised that you would be so judgemental.

In most western countries a significant % of homeless people suffer from a mental illness of some kind and fall through the cracks. That may be the case here. He could have blown his life savings on booze, holidays and women. He could just have easily have been robbed or cheated, suffered an illness, have no living family and few friends to call upon. We don't know.

I pray you are never down on your luck and in a desperate situation having to face the sort of attitudes you have expressed in your post.

That's an unfortunate thing about showing good heart in Thailand, give 20 baht and they think you've entered into a lifelog contract.

This has to one of the most stupid posts I have ever read.

You know nothing about the person, why he is in this seemingly homeless situation and clearly you don't seem to recognise that everyone - given the right combination of unforeseen circumstances - has the ability to end up in a desperate situation. None of us know the situation so I am surprised that you would be so judgemental.

In most western countries a significant % of homeless people suffer from a mental illness of some kind and fall through the cracks. That may be the case here. He could have blown his life savings on booze, holidays and women. He could just have easily have been robbed or cheated, suffered an illness, have no living family and few friends to call upon. We don't know.

I pray you are never down on your luck and in a desperate situation having to face the sort of attitudes you have expressed in your post.

Cry me a river man. He is a farang and its not Thailands problem, deport these scum back to their Country of origin and they can live on the streets if they wish. That is the point.

Cry me a river man. He is a farang and its not Thailands problem, deport these scum back to their Country of origin and they can live on the streets if they wish. That is the point.

If the Thai police arrest these people then it becomes their problem. The same is true in their home country where the police are reluctant to get too involved unless a crime has been committed. Your solution while low on compassion won't work....any other bright ideas?