How Far To Pai?

CMFubar

It takes about about 3 1/2 hours. It's a very nice scenic ride. Take a jacket and maybe even some riding gloves. It's pretty cold going through the mountains this time of year. There are places to stop for coffee on the way.

For a place to stay, I like the countryside. They have a web site.

If you like good Italian Pizza and Lasagne try Amido's.

The Buffalo Exchange is a great place to drink outside around a fire and listen to the Thai band playing mellow rock classics and not real loud so you can still talk to people

For a nice soak in a mineral bath try the exotic spa, it's nice in the early evening, never crowded

it took me about 3 hours by car. beautiful drive with the windows down. nice cool air beneath shaded trees up in the mountains. there are a lot of guesthouses near the main tourist area where all the bars and restaurants are. they have a street market every Wednesday.

make sure your brakes are working well cause its quite steep going down into Pai on 1095.

route: head up Northwest, pass MaeRim, just as you get to Mae Taeng, take the 1095 highway west to Pai on the left.

Not bicycle right?

Pai is a nice tripping distance from Chiang Mai; close enough for a run for breakfast and back. On the weekend and holidays the roads is quite busy, but just be patient.

Like the Country Side also. Pai Chan is nice and where we stay with the missus along; and if there full it's the Country side. The Brookview Pai is my favorite this year as the nicest 300 baht fan room. Twice been recommended the Paradise, but haven't stayed there.

Quite enjoy the Park@pai bar

Take it very easy on them roads, they're pretty bad in places. Only been there once and to be honest, for my level of riding experience and ability it was more hard work than enjoyment. I would go to Phayao over Pai but I do hope you have a safe and enjoyable time.

:thumbsup:

Edited by mrclough

made it to pai.. took me 3.5 hours including stops (about 3) to put on extra clothes.. i rugged up but was still unprepared for how cold it was thru the mountains on the bike.

staying at the countryside, nice and relaxed and sunny and just what i need.. thanks so much all =))

made it to pai.. took me 3.5 hours including stops (about 3) to put on extra clothes.. i rugged up but was still unprepared for how cold it was thru the mountains on the bike.

staying at the countryside, nice and relaxed and sunny and just what i need.. thanks so much all =))

I really like the fact that the Countryside is in a peaceful spot and still close enough to walk into town. Enjoy

I really like the fact that the Countryside is in a peaceful spot and still close enough to walk into town. Enjoy

Did you mean a bicycle or a motorcycle? It would be helpful if posters could be more explicit. Judging from the time it took the poster, I think he meant motorcycle or motorbike. To me a bike is a bicycle.

Anyway, my wife wants to go to Pai in January with some friends and found from the internet that at the time she can travel, three star hotels cost 4,500 Baht a night due to hi-season surcharges. Surely this cannot be true?

Any thoughts about this one???????

Did you mean a bicycle or a motorcycle? It would be helpful if posters could be more explicit. Judging from the time it took the poster, I think he meant motorcycle or motorbike. To me a bike is a bicycle.

Anyway, my wife wants to go to Pai in January with some friends and found from the internet that at the time she can travel, three star hotels cost 4,500 Baht a night due to hi-season surcharges. Surely this cannot be true?

Sounds excessive.Pai is not a hotel type of destination but plenty of small Resorts and Guesthouses. www.travelfish.org is pretty spot on with its reviews. Its high season now and a fan room ,as its cool at night,is around 4-800 baht at many places . We paid 600 Baht last week at a 3 star guesthouse. High season in Pai kicked in Nov 1 at most places

if i see another tshirt, bag, badge or hat with 'pai' on it i'm going to stab myself.

other than that, i'm thoroughly enjoying my time here and super greatful for the recc of the countryside, it's just what i needed.

"PAI IN LOVE"

That is what you need to put on your Xmas list - a nice white T Shirt with a coffee cup on those famous words.

I've heard of one place here asking over 3 times that! Pai has been completely overbuilt with accommodations so you will have your pick of the range, at least after the holiday invasion.