Tip Please!

onnut

I have over 2000 posts to my name but I still do not know how to quote so the original quote is in that little box. my quotes always just have "quote" above and below and can get mixed into a post.

can anybody explain what I am doing wrong please? :D

thanks

Make sure when editing to leave the name and post number details alone at the top of the quote.....and of course open and closing quotes.

Works for me but if the first line is messed up the quote appears how you're describing.

Hope that helps.

Still puzzled by multiquotes from different people in the same post.....but that's for another thread. :huh:

Make sure when editing to leave the name and post number details alone at the top of the quote.....and of course open and closing quotes.

Works for me but if the first line is messed up the quote appears how you're describing.

Hope that helps.

Still puzzled by multiquotes from different people in the same post.....but that's for another thread. :huh:

like this?

Edit: that worked, Thanks Smokie36. :)

Edited by onnut

Hope that helps.

like this?

Multi quotes are only an issue if you have to (or decide to) remove a quote.

For the example above, for me to remove smokie36's quote, I need to remove the text from the open quote "[ quote name= ... " (no space after [) to and including the end quote "[ / quote ]".

(delete from here)

{quote name='smokie36' timestamp='1289731587' post='4022461'}

Hope that helps.

{/quote} ... (to here)

like this?

which gives you

like this?

Edited by whybother

Another rather strange quirk is that the quote links are removed from the first post in any thread. I can imagine this might make it confusing for someone who is struggling to get to grips with the quote feature.

Not a quirk really as it was intentionally disabled some time ago due to problems with members fully quoting the OP in the next reply or two. With a long OP, it causes the page to fill up quickly as members wouldn't trim the quote down to the specific information they were replying to.

As mentioned above, the "tags" must match with open & closing tags. Anything typed in between these will be included with the formatting. Here is a list of BB tags and their use based on vBulletin BBS software which is pretty similar to the tags used on TV.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/misc.php?do=bbcode

BB code is a set of tags based on the HTML language that you may already be familiar with. They allow you to add formatting to your messages in the same way as HTML does, but have a simpler syntax and will never break the layout of the pages you are viewing.

When I referred to multiquotes I meant how do you take quotes from two or more separate posts and use them in the same reply.

Oh ... yes ... I haven't got that to work for me yet.

Open another tab and copy and paste is the only way I reckon....unless anyone knows different....?

When I referred to multiquotes I meant how do you take quotes from two or more separate posts and use them in the same reply.

like this

And this?

If it is, click the multi quote button of the first post you want and then go to the second post you wish to quote and click on that posts multi quote tab.

Scroll to the bottom of the thread and click on the reply button.

Your reponse must be within the relevant quote tags.

it has been a while since I multi-quoted, but third time lucky

like this

And this?

Ohhh!!!! You have to click the "Add Reply" button at the bottom. I get it now.

If you click the post's 'Reply' it will only reply to that post, regardless of the "multi-quotes" you have clicked. But if you "multi-quote" and then click "Add Reply" at the bottom of the page, it multi-quotes.

Finally ... worked it out. Thanks for your help.

edit: but somehow I messed up the quotes anyway. but still ... got it now.

Edited by whybother

like this

And this?

Exactly like that.

If it is, click the multi quote button of the first post you want and then go to the second post you wish to quote and click on that posts multi quote tab.

Scroll to the bottom of the thread and click on the reply button.

Your reponse must be within the relevant quote tags.

it has been a while since I multi-quoted, but third time lucky

Hopefully I got the quotes right....:whistling:

No worries, glad it helped.

Moss

Can we frig the quote data - the time stamp, for example:

Moss

The time appears to be measured in seconds

Or the post reference?

Moss

Doesn't seem to change much, but it might be a link that doesn't work in the Preview Page.

edit: so it does, to be sure....

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy