Death In Close Friend's Family

Spee

The father of a close friend of my honey's family died suddenly this week. I know the close friend too, and he and his wife have been very nice to me when I've been in the village.

What is the proper Thai phrase for a non-family member to express condolences for a time like this?

I just want to be able to pay my respects by saying the right thing when I call there tommorrow.

TIA for any assistance.

You should wait for Yoot or somebody with more experience than myself if you want a foolproof version, but the following is what I would say myself if I had nobody to ask beforehand. I am sure there are better ways though.

kho® sadaeng khwaam siajai yaang ying tee dai-yin waa X phaan bpai laeo na khrap

simpler

phom ruuseuk siajai jing jing tee daiyin waa X sia bpai na khrap

L have found in this situation, when you are not sure what to say.

You can speak from the heart in English and although the words will not be understood, the gist will.

Times like this are always difficult

L have found in this situation, when you are not sure what to say.

You can speak from the heart in English and although the words will not be understood, the gist will.

Times like this are always difficult

that's what I did... and made lots of "feeling sorry" faces... then everyone got hammered and had a three day party.... I knew what to do then... :o

totster :D

If you are their close friend so it doesn’t need to use formal words. When you call them just say,

“ เสียใจด้วยนะครับเรื่องคุณพ่อของคุณ ถ้าหากมีอะไรให้ผมช่วยก็บอกนะครับ ไม่ต้องเกรงใจ ”

sĭa jai dûay ná kráp rêuang koon pôr kŏng koon tâa hàak mee à-rai hâi pŏm chûay gôr bòk ná kráp mâi dtông greng jai

- I’m so sorry to hear that your father has passed away. If you need any help please tell me. ( To offer any help is for showing them that you are their friend . If you could help them something to make them feel better you would do it.)

If you want to say something more formal you can say as this;

ผมรู้สึกเสียใจจริง ๆ ที่ได้ข่าวว่าคุณพ่อของคุณเสีย ขอแสดงความเสียใจด้วยนะครับ

pŏm róo-sèuk sĭa jai jing-jing têe dâai kàao wâa koon pôr kŏng koon sĭa kŏr sà-daeng kwaam sĭa jai dûay ná kráp

Thanks Bambina & Yoot!

My originally planned words were close, but not nearly as proper and elegant as your full descriptions.

Much appreciated.

Talked to my honey right before calling to double check (the condolences were passed on by her family who are in the village). She told me to use:

(sorry for the poor transliteration, I'm in a bit of a rush)

koon paw (friend's name) sin jai pom sia jai duay bok (friend's name) duay khrap

My honey also added something that I didn't know before. She said it is more polite to use "sin jai" or literally "end heart" or pass away, rather than say "dtaai" or "dead, or "kwaam dtaai" or "death".

As always it seems in Thai and other languages, there is always a proper and polite way to say the right thing especially in these kinds of sensitive matters.

Good point Spee, to use 'dtaai' for die is too crude when speaking of people (remember 'dtaai laeo!' and 'hai dtaai si!' are mild curses).

For 'pass away' or 'die', I usually hear just 'sia' in everyday speech - which is short for 'sia chiiwit' - 'lose one's life'.

Thanks for 'sin jai' though - I had never heard that one before.

Good point Spee, to use 'dtaai' for die is too crude when speaking of people (remember 'dtaai laeo!' and 'hai dtaai si!' are mild curses).

For 'pass away' or 'die', I usually hear just 'sia' in everyday speech - which is short for 'sia chiiwit' - 'lose one's life'.

Thanks for 'sin jai' though - I had never heard that one before.

สิ้นใจ is quite a formal word.

It's mostly used when a doctor tells relatives of his patient that his patient died. It sounds like that person has just came to the end of life.

สิ้น means end, while เสีย means lose.

Sometimes you might hear someone said " คุณพ่อท่านเพิ่งสิ้นเมื่อเช้านี้เอง " or " คุณพ่อท่านเสียเมื่อสัปดาห์ที่แล้ว" . * Notice the period of time.