Horse Racing On 20 & 21 Novemebr

Thighlander

Hey Patrick, thanks man. You are right--Sunday's only. It seems like you can count the farangs on one hand there, they don't know what they're missing. I'm the tall white guy with a beer in his hand. See you there.

Well, actually it's alternate Sundays; one week at the Turf Club, the next at the Royal Bangkok Sports Club (in Henri Dunant - opposite Chula University), however if the Sunday is "Wan Phra" then the fixture is transferred to the Saturday before that.

I never check, but I really should get into the habit of doing so because I often go to play Golf at the RBSC on Saturday afternoons and if the Race Day has been changed to the Saturday I get there to find the Golf Course is closed (well, shortened) which really ticks me off - for some reason the authorities worry that my wild shot with a 10 Baht golf ball could incapacitate a 1 + million Baht Pony. (If I cannot hit an (obviously) stationary 30 metre wide Green then, in my opinion, the occasional 3 metre long Pony zipping by at X mph is pretty safe!).

One note; not sure - I never go to the public stands - but I believe beer is banned to avoid any “unrest” if a punters’ chosen pony flunks out!

The public stands are not Ascot or Melbourne Cup atmosphere but I am sure they can be interesting!

Patrick

They sell beer outside and inside at both places, and I don't think a small cooler would be a problem either. I guess the best way to be sure they are running is to buy the Bangkok Post on Sunday, or Saturday if there is a chance they will be running then, due to the holidays.

beer is on sale at both places, may not have the choice of belgian beer but most of the drinks stalls sell cans of heineken etc, sure not exactly the ritz but i am sure both courses do have a sit down meal deal where maybe if you book in advance for a table you will be charged for a buffet or set meal, i dont know the charge maybe 600 naht per head or something like that

its a good day out, thais actually like to tell you their favourites, and have no problem telling you the rigged favourite either

beer is on sale at both places, may not have the choice of belgian beer but most of the drinks stalls sell cans of heineken etc, sure not exactly the ritz but i am sure both courses do have a sit down meal deal where maybe if you book in advance for a table you will be charged for a buffet or set meal, i dont know the charge maybe 600 naht per head or something like that

You are definitely confusing the Public Stands at RTC or the RBSC with Ascot - or maybe the Melbourne Cup :lol: !

No one going there will be remotely interested in paying Baht 600 for a "buffet or set meal" - in the main the patrons of these Stands are from the lower ranks of Thai Society and only attend the Course to gamble and - possibly - drink alcohol, and that is where they spend their most of their money. There are the usual Street Food stalls outside the Courses - at the usual Thai prices - but of course it would be fun to see a Farang walk up and try to "book a table" :rolleyes: !

Thanks for the laugh on an early Saturday morning though!

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone