Best Exchange Rates?

malamala

SK which is right next to the very tiny one way bridge that passes over the Ping River (directions are given elsewhere in the thread) is the BEST.

Be aware that morning and afternoon rates are always different and though I may be remembering wrong, I believe that the rates are less favorable after about 11AM.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SK which is right next to the very tiny one way bridge that passes over the Ping River (directions are given elsewhere in the thread) is the BEST.

Be aware that morning and afternoon rates are always different and though I may be remembering wrong, I believe that the rates are less favorable after about 11AM.

What time do they open?

• 2 months later...

What time do they open?

Also as a rule of thumb Monday raters are always the lowest.

'lukeskyalker' is correct. บาท is a Thai word/term. If either of you spoke Thai or chose to check a Thai dictionary you would have realized that the Thai language does no use conjugations to make plurals. Instead the usage of baht would have been preceded by the number of baht, or word showing the multitude.

The transliteration Baht, can be used with an 's' to show the plural, but would not be used by a Thai or Thai speaker.

Um, there ARE no Bahts. Sorry.But point taken .I get very distressed by people who cannot spell Baht, keep writing Bath. I wonder sometimes how you would get on , say, in India asking for Rupiah, or in Indonesia asking for Rupees.Surely, if you are a guest in a country, you should make the effort to learn how to spell the currency. Correctly.

Look around, try a few dictionaries, here's the first one I looked at on the web:

baht

speaker.gif [baht]

noun, plural bahts, baht.

a paper money and monetary unit of Thailand, equal to 100 satangs.

The origin of the currency was once, and still is (though not in ordinary currency) one Baht is equal in weight to 15.16 troy grams of gold now standardized of 23 karat gold (actually a bit better than that) at 96.5% pure gold). Thus the baht once was close in value to the US $10 gold piece. The US$10 gold piece was known as the Eagle and though content varied, it stabilized iunder the 1837 standard for the eagle was 258 troy grains (16.718 g) of .900 fine gold. The Thai baht had a better gold content, but if you do the math, the net content is similar.

You can say hand me 4,000 baht, or 4000 peso, or you can say 4,000 bahts, or 4,000 pesos, but you cannot say $4,000 dollar, or 4,000 Pound.

Much ado about nothing... baht or bahts... either is correct. The never-ending argument drives me baht-y.

FYI: "baht" is both singular and plural. There is no "bahts".

*yawn*

Yes there is, see a dictionary....

From thefreedictionary.com

baht (bät)

n. pl. bahts or baht

See Table at currency.

Edited by CMSteve