Best Exchange Rates?

malamala

FYI: "baht" is both singular and plural. There is no "bahts".

Um, there ARE no Bahts. Sorry.But point taken .I get very distressed by people who cannot spell Baht, keep writing Bath. I wonder sometimes how you would get on , say, in India asking for Rupiah, or in Indonesia asking for Rupees.Surely, if you are a guest in a country, you should make the effort to learn how to spell the currency. Correctly.

Interesting point.

In my experience it is usually the Thai who is advertising something for farang consumption who uses the spelling "Bath". Very seldom do I see a farang use this.

I too, hate to see it being mis-used but I suppose there is some slack that might be granted in that , after all, Thailand is spelled and pronounced with a hard "T" sound although written as "Th".

Interesting - but then TIT. Only yesterday a Thai person wrote out the name and gave me directions to SAKON money-changers.

Cheers.

Wishing you a great New Year.

Another interesting point and question. What or who actually dictates that there are no Bahts ?

Does a dollar become dollars, a pound - pounds, a Euro - Euros, a Peso - Pesos and the list goes on and on and on.Why should a baht not become -bahts ?

Doesn't sound right to me either but does common usage set the rules ?

Perhaps someone might care to comment.

Cheers.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

easier still turn left at mcdonalds,night bazar, past red lion past downtown inn, go to end of soi and shop across the road on your left.

I have always gone down Loi Kroh road and crossed over the main road towards the Red Lion - DON'T DO IT though as it cost me a 400 Baht fine. It's a right turn only and there was a policeman doing a good business pulling motorcycles up for it, albeit he was issuing tickets and refusing to take the fine, have to go to the Police station to pay and retrieve my licence,

I would never have done it back in the UK so why the hell did I do it in Thailand? Maybe the Thai girl on the back of the bike telling me that is was OK to do!! Now there's another morale for me!!

• 10 months later...

If you want to change a reasonable amount of money, usually over 1,000 USD or the equivalent in other currencies. Its always worth asking the girl at SK to ask the manager for a rate even better than the one advertised - they'll often give you 50 satangs extra - which is 500 baht on a 1,000 transaction.

You must be a VIP...smile.gif

I asked for the manager, but the girl didn't even let me speak to the manager. No special rate for 1000 Euro.

Maybe too many people asked for a better rate after you posted this.

UPdate on 1/11/11: there is now also a SuperRIch change outlet (ONLY real cash-I think only BUY and not sell foreign currency) on Loy Kroh-a desk IN another shop-clearly labeled, about across from TaPae soi 4 =between soi 2-3 on LK. Beat that SK with 0,05 THB/unit (USD or EUR), again: best rates ONLY daytime, SR in BKK also does-slightly lower, but still better as banks, after 15.00 or so-due to the closing of FRorEx in Japan or wherever.

Esp good for more obscure money, like Chinese Yuan. NO Lao KIp taken! SR in BKK offers even slightly better rates for big notes in US or EUR-they do not seem to do that here in CM

I don't follow, most of the posts seem to relate to cash transactions. What about in you want to transfer 10-20.000 euro? How to get a good deal then?

Then it depends on the rate of your bank in Europe. I don't think you can transfer money to a money exchanger (if this is a not a bank like SK) If otherwise: please, educate me.

@ Asanee: nice tip! They even have a website.

@Thaimiller: Aaah... I am not the only one who got turned down...

^x6

Well said PG. Been there done that, but it cost me more than 400B. And i can't blame it on anyone but myself: I too would never have done so back home; and here taking chances like that can get you more than a fine. :(

Thanks for the heads-up. It's a money-maker for the constable, he should have enough by now to buy himself a superintendent's position - then again he's probably doing just fine where he is.

Of the banks, Bangkok Bank (the blue one) gives the best rate

I don't think any one bank permanently gives the best rate, as I've compared rates throughout the day and throughout the week, and the rank varies.

Super Rich in Bangkok however does permanently give the best rate but they are not a bank and only exchange cash notes, not travelers' cheques or telegraphic transfer. I'm not sure if Super Rich in Chiang Mai offers exactly the same rates as their Bangkok branches.

You can see the rank of Thai banks' (and Super RIch's) exchange rates at this web site: daytodaydata.net.

Ive changed $10,000 US at SK before and I asked but never got a better rate.

Presumably that was 100 x $100 dollar bills. Then, walking out with over 300 x 1000 baht notes... My wallet isn't that fat -- and carrying that amount of money in a knapsack or money belt would make me nervous.

But I wouldn't need to, as I'd realize exactly the same exchange rate by ACHing $10k from my US bank to Bangkok Bank, via their NY branch. (I'll assume Super Rich's rates are equivalent to SK, as SR's rates can be found on the site mentioned by hyper, above.)

Using the daytodaydata.net site -- and the figures given there for Super Rich and Bangkok Bank for Nov 12, 2011:

-- SR's buying rate for $100 notes is 30.60

-- BB' buying TT rate is 30.68

-- Sending $10k from my USAA bank account via ACH thru BB NY (activated on-line, no USAA fee) -- results in $9,990 sent to Thailand ($10 front end fee at BB NY subtracted) and a 500 baht back end fee at my BB in Thailand. Result: 305,993 baht shows up in my BB account. Divide $10,000 into this -- rate realized is 30.60 -- same rate as SR.

Thus, I don't need to carry a bag of money around town -- just my BB ATM card.

Now, if I'd sent $20,000, I'd realize a 30.64 rate of exchange (since the $10/500baht fees remain fixed). But, conversely, sending only $2000 would result in a realized rate of 30.50. Which, however, would still be better than exchanging this in the BB lobby, at a rate of 30.43

Several ways to skin this cat. But not sure walking around with a ton of loot would be one of my options.....

Of course, if you're a Yank, you could have used your Schwab Debit/ATM card on Nov 12th -- and received a 30.74 rate -- completely undiluted by ATM or foreign transaction fees on their end. Nor ATM owner fees on this end, as they're automatically reimbursed when assessed.

UPdate on 1/11/11: there is now also a SuperRIch change outlet (ONLY real cash-I think only BUY and not sell foreign currency) on Loy Kroh-a desk IN another shop-clearly labeled, about across from TaPae soi 4 =between soi 2-3 on LK. Beat that SK with 0,05 THB/unit (USD or EUR), again: best rates ONLY daytime, SR in BKK also does-slightly lower, but still better as banks, after 15.00 or so-due to the closing of FRorEx in Japan or wherever.

Esp good for more obscure money, like Chinese Yuan. NO Lao KIp taken! SR in BKK offers even slightly better rates for big notes in US or EUR-they do not seem to do that here in CM

Apparently most of the posters are not aware of the Super Rich that opened up on Loi Kroh road, I say about 4-5 months ago. They do offer a slightly higher rate than SK Changer on USD. It's a small office, located around half way down Loi Kroh between all the massage parlors. I'd say either SRich or SK is always the best for exchanging dollars.

Several days ago changed 200dollars at the second exchange booth down from Thapae Gate I got 30.59. Walked back to gate and exchange place next to Montri Hotel was offering 30.66 bahts to the dollar.

In bangkok use Vasu always best rates it is at Suk.7/1 under nana skytrain station.

Apparently most of the posters are not aware of the Super Rich that opened up on Loi Kroh road, I say about 4-5 months ago. They do offer a slightly higher rate than SK Changer on USD. It's a small office, located around half way down Loi Kroh between all the massage parlors. I'd say either SRich or SK is always the best for exchanging dollars.

there is 3 money changers in cnx at the moment,next to montri hotel,loi kroh road,and charoenprathet rd.

there is 3 money changers in cnx at the moment,next to montri hotel,loi kroh road,and charoenprathet rd.

But beware, call first about the rate. The rate shown on the website (Super Rich) is higher than in real. 5 minutes after I checked online I was at Super Rich and it was 50 satang less. The manager made up many excuses (in BKK rate is higher, every minute the rate changes, Euro is dying etc.) but the online rate is just bate, just like " no commission, no fee..." Haha...

The rate was the same as at SK.

But beware, call first about the rate. The rate shown on the website (Super Rich) is higher than in real. 5 minutes after I checked online I was at Super Rich and it was 50 satang less. The manager made up many excuses (in BKK rate is higher, every minute the rate changes, Euro is dying etc.) but the online rate is just bate, just like " no commission, no fee..." Haha...

The Super Rich web site does say that the rate is only applicable for the Rajdamri branch in Bangkok (across from Central World), as that's the head office that sets the rate for the web site. So you can't be sure if the other branches in Bangkok and in other provinces are going to follow exactly the same rate. So if visiting a branch other than the Rajdamri one, calling beforehand to check is good advice, and if the rate is worse than the rate on the web site complain so that they would be encouraged to stick with the head office's rate. I only ever exchange at the head office in Bangkok and the rate is the same as on the web site.

So the website named " superrichchiangmai.com" with rates that is applicable for a branch in BKK and not for the branch in CM...? Is a bit strange...

And I can't find that info on the site, btw.

Never mind, calling for the rate is more reliable than the site anyway.

So the website named " superrichchiangmai.com" with rates that is applicable for a branch in BKK and not for the branch in CM...? Is a bit strange...

Ah maybe it's actually a different company (an unauthorized copycat?)... I was talking about the Super Rich who has this web site: http://superrich1965.com

On the superrichchiangmai.com web site it says "Please contact our call center for firm rates : Call Centre 66(0) 89 5351 819, 66(0) 81 8811 882". So that is a direct admission that the rates on their web site are not "firm", i.e. cannot be fully relied upon.

Edited by hyperdimension

Notice also that the Super Rich Chiang Mai rate page does not have a "last updated" date and time or update sequence number. These details are always shown on bank's rate pages and on Super Rich 1965's rate page, so that you know how old the quoted rates are. Super Rich 1965 usually updates their rates over 20 times throughout the day.

The date and time values that Super Rich Chiang Mai show on their rate page is just the current date and time, and the time value changes every second, which is not very useful.

Ah maybe it's actually a different company (an unauthorized copycat?)... I was talking about the Super Rich who has this web site: http://superrich1965.com

On the superrichchiangmai.com web site it says "Please contact our call center for firm rates : Call Centre 66(0) 89 5351 819, 66(0) 81 8811 882". So that is a direct admission that the rates on their web site are not "firm", i.e. cannot be fully relied upon.

I think you are right on this...

• 4 months later...

FYI: "baht" is both singular and plural. There is no "bahts".

Um, there ARE no Bahts. Sorry.But point taken .I get very distressed by people who cannot spell Baht, keep writing Bath. I wonder sometimes how you would get on , say, in India asking for Rupiah, or in Indonesia asking for Rupees.Surely, if you are a guest in a country, you should make the effort to learn how to spell the currency. Correctly.

Look around, try a few dictionaries, here's the first one I looked at on the web:

baht

speaker.gif [baht]

noun, plural bahts, baht.

a paper money and monetary unit of Thailand, equal to 100 satangs.

The origin of the currency was once, and still is (though not in ordinary currency) one Baht is equal in weight to 15.16 troy grams of gold now standardized of 23 karat gold (actually a bit better than that) at 96.5% pure gold). Thus the baht once was close in value to the US $10 gold piece. The US$10 gold piece was known as the Eagle and though content varied, it stabilized iunder the 1837 standard for the eagle was 258 troy grains (16.718 g) of .900 fine gold. The Thai baht had a better gold content, but if you do the math, the net content is similar.

You can say hand me 4,000 baht, or 4000 peso, or you can say 4,000 bahts, or 4,000 pesos, but you cannot say $4,000 dollar, or 4,000 Pound.

Much ado about nothing... baht or bahts... either is correct. The never-ending argument drives me baht-y.