Retirement Visa Criminal Record Check

I am just looking at the requirements for various types of visa on the MFA website. It states that for a retirement visa you need both a criminal record check from your home country and one from Thailand. I am Presently living in Thailand, and it would be very expensive for me to return to my home country to do this, since you must be there to give fingerprints so they can do the check on you. Anyone with any experience on this? Is is usually ignored, or mandatory? I have never heard this mentioned in threads about retirement visas.

A retirement (long stay) visa is only issued in your home country. For that a police report and medical is required from that country.

In Thailand no such visa can be issued. You obtain a one year extension of stay from Immigration here. For that only a non immigrant visa entry and financial proof is required (along with 1,900 baht fee and normal photo copies of passport/arrival card/entry/visa is required. If you do not have a non immigrant entry that can also be obtained from Immigration at additional cost of 2,000 baht if more than a week or so remaining on permitted to stay stamp. If not you obtain a single entry non immigrant visa from a Consulate and return using that for a 90 day stay and extend for retirement during the last 30 days.

A retirement (long stay) visa is only issued in your home country. For that a police report and medical is required from that country.

In Thailand no such visa can be issued. You obtain a one year extension of stay from Immigration here. For that only a non immigrant visa entry and financial proof is required (along with 1,900 baht fee and normal photo copies of passport/arrival card/entry/visa is required. If you do not have a non immigrant entry that can also be obtained from Immigration at additional cost of 2,000 baht if more than a week or so remaining on permitted to stay stamp. If not you obtain a single entry non immigrant visa from a Consulate and return using that for a 90 day stay and extend for retirement during the last 30 days.

Thanks now Lopburi I maybe should have realized that not seeing anything about it in threads meant that it would not apply. I am just looking at some of my future options for living in Thailand, have just received a non B visa, 90 days from Laos with W.P. I don't know how much longer the job will last, although I just started I may not be able to get the one year extension at immigration if I am not working in 60 to 90 days. I am trying to find alternative employment, just to be safe.

lopburi3 is spot on, as he usually is, and he has been an invaluable source for advice to me in the past on exactly this issue. You do not mention what type of visa or permit you presently have to stay in Thailand.

In any case, first step is to obtain a 90 day non-immigrant visa from most Thai Immigration Offices. You will need all the documentation required to obtain a long stay extension based on retirement but the effort is not wasted as you can use the same documentation 60 days or a few more later when you extend that 90 day non-imm visa to a one year extension.

That MFA website has had this misinformation for several years. Apparently, since MFA is only in the business of issuing long stay (Non Imm O-A visas)at their consulates, they assume that to get the equivalent one-year stay via the extension process with Immigration has the same requirements. They should get out more.

That MFA website has had this misinformation for several years. Apparently, since MFA is only in the business of issuing long stay (Non Imm O-A visas)at their consulates, they assume that to get the equivalent one-year stay via the extension process with Immigration has the same requirements. They should get out more.

The MFA wants people applying based on retirement to get a O-A visa and not a non-O visa. Many Thai embassies and consulate generals will only issue an O-A visa based on retirement.

People wanting a non-O visa based on retirement should always check if that consulate gives the option of a non-O. All honorary consuls are not allowed to issue a O-A visa and can by default only issue a non-O.

lopburi3 is spot on, as he usually is, and he has been an invaluable source for advice to me in the past on exactly this issue. You do not mention what type of visa or permit you presently have to stay in Thailand.

In any case, first step is to obtain a 90 day non-immigrant visa from most Thai Immigration Offices. You will need all the documentation required to obtain a long stay extension based on retirement but the effort is not wasted as you can use the same documentation 60 days or a few more later when you extend that 90 day non-imm visa to a one year extension.

Are you saying that all I need to get a 90-day non-imm visa from immigration here in Chiang Mai is the fee and an embassy report saying you have the $65,000/mo baht? And of course

the pics and apps and copies & address? No police check? I've been searching for how to get that, I thought I'd.. have to cut my thumb off and mail it home for a print! Or do you know if this

can be done in BKK? Or can CM do it? I have 2 weeks left of my 1st 90-day tourist visa. Thanks, I had been planning to go to Vientiane for another tourist visa but would be great not to have to.

i went to my local police station in uk.

they give you a detailed form to fill in .

which on completion they send to scoland yard .

it can take up to 3 mounths , for a character check up.

you have been warned ...

what about the long stay criminals in pattaya. :ph34r:

criminal records ,,, they have the full collections . :jap:

Just to highlight the source of the OP's confusion, peruse the following from the MFA website:

MFA Website

Great explanation of the requirements for a Non Imm O-A visa -- until you get to the part that explains 'where to obtain':

Channels to submit application:

Applicant may submit their application at the Royal Thai embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General in their home/residence country or at the Office of the Immigration Bureau in Thailand located onGovernment Center B, Chaengwattana Soi 7, Laksi, Bangkok 10210, Tel 0-2141-9889.

No wonder the OP, and many other candidate retirees, come away from reading this information believing that their road to a one-year permission of stay is to apply for a Non Imm O-A visa at Immigration, complete with medical and criminal statements.

The last paragraph (5.4) does explain how to get a one-year extension of stay from Immigration. But the context of this paragraph, and with no further explanation, seemingly sounds like the extension application is what you do... after the Non Imm O-A visa, and its related permission of stay, expire.

Even some consulate websites (notably Hull) feed this misinformation from MFA.

Do you think they really believe you can get a Non Imm O-A visa from Immigration in Thailand...?

Anyway, it's no wonder a post like this one shows up here about once a month.

I guess, if one would show up at Immigration to obtain a Non Imm O-A visa, they would have you fill out either a TM86 or TM87 form, collect 2000 baht, then issue a Non Imm visa (since you would have the required financial data with you). Then they would tell you to come back in two months for the one-year extension, shiit-can the medical and criminal forms, then mumble amongst themselves about 'stupid farangs.' (Or, possibly....'why doesn't MFA fix their stupid website.')

Are you saying that all I need to get a 90-day non-imm visa from immigration here in Chiang Mai is the fee and an embassy report saying you have the $65,000/mo baht?

Usually. Fill out a form TM86 (application to change from a Tourist to a Non Imm visa). Fee is 2000 baht, but have another 5700 handy, should they issue your extension same day -- and you want a multiple re-entry stamp.

Possibly you're too late, as they [used to] want 3 weeks left on the permission of stay you received when you last entered Thailand. However, recently, some immigration offices have been waiving this requirement. Don't know about CM.

Also, most likely you'll get a 90-day permit to stay -- and told to come back in two months for the one-year retirement extension. But, you might get lucky, since you'll have an income statement -- and won't need a two-month bank stay for your funds. Hit or miss.

You're lucky this is a retirement extension application. If this were for marriage, CM would send you to Bangkok for the TM86 application.

And, yes -- no criminal or medical statements required.

Keep in touch,as we like to hear the latest "how goes it."

I am not sure Chiang Mai will do the visa issue part - ask and be prepared to travel to Bangkok for that action. Believe they will accept down to 7 days remaining on current permitted to stay stamp. Just requires proof of financial conditions and being over age 50. Then two months later you would do the normal extension of stay at Chiang Mai.

The longer you wait to go to immigration to change your visa from tourist to non-imm in Chiang Mai the less likely they will allow you to do so. I usually go when there is fully three weeks left on my tourist visa. Anyway, go now, worse case scenario they will refuse to do it and you will have to extend your tourist visa.

I find Chiang Mai Immigration one of the easiest and most accommodating so don't give up hope, just get moving.

I am not sure Chiang Mai will do the visa issue part - ask and be prepared to travel to Bangkok for that action.

Possibly. But we have situations where they *have* done the TM86 conversion to Non Imm visa. However, this was only for folks eligible for a retirement extension. For those looking for conversions with marriage extensions in mind, this, indeed, required a trip to Bangkok.

But, as Lop says, be prepared. These conversions are not yet routine, and your mileage may depend on the officer you deal with, and the state of his hangover.

worse case scenario they will refuse to do it and you will have to extend your tourist visa.

Good point. Which then says you'll now have more than enough time left on your permitted period to address the TM86 conversion. (And, hopefully, that period won't be cut into by having to travel to Bangkok to do the conversion.)

i went to my local police station in uk.

they give you a detailed form to fill in .

which on completion they send to scoland yard .

it can take up to 3 mounths , for a character check up.

you have been warned ...

what about the long stay criminals in pattaya. :ph34r:

criminal records ,,, they have the full collections . :jap:

In the UK you don't need any silly documentation at all!

Birmingham and Hull will issue a 1 year non-immigrant o VISa (to the over 50s) if you post them a completed application form, photos, passport, money (100UKP?).

Why does everyone try and do things the hard way?

Are you saying that all I need to get a 90-day non-imm visa from immigration here in Chiang Mai is the fee and an embassy report saying you have the $65,000/mo baht?

Usually. Fill out a form TM86 (application to change from a Tourist to a Non Imm visa). Fee is 2000 baht, but have another 5700 handy, should they issue your extension same day -- and you want a multiple re-entry stamp.

Well, glitch #1, the US consulate is closed until next week, and I have all my financial docs but haven't the official US embassy letter verifying my income.

If I went to Burma border would I get a 30-day entry stamp, or is it only 15 days? I've already had my 1-mo extension on my original tourist visa. Does anyone know

which consulates issue the non-imm visa if I have to go that route? PP? KL? etc.

Thanks everybody, will let you know how things work out!

Without a visa it depends on your way of entry into Thailand (and your nationality). Given you're an American at a land border you will get 15 days, at an air border 30 days with a visa exempt entry.

Edit:

For a non-O visa (single entry) any Thai consulate should do, but take with you proof of income or enough money in the bank.

Also in the UK you will need a criminal background check for an O-A visa.

It is for a non-O visa that no criminal background check is needed, at all Thai consulates and embassies.

I am American and have lived in Bangkok most of the last 6 years, returning to USA in summer for a long visit. It seems I'm always there when my O-A visa expires so I usually apply for a new visa in New York by mail although I have been able to get back just before expiration twice which enabled me to apply for Re-Entry permit to keep old visa alive.

I have not lived in my old home town since 2004. I either live on a boat in USA or travel when I'm there. I worry about continuing to get letters from my old police department since I have not lived there in 6 yr. Is this something that can be explained to Thai consulate so that they don't expect new report each time I apply for visa ?

Prior to coming to live in Thailand over 5 years ago the wife and I sought information from Hull Consulate in the UK. It is possible to have a Retirement visa issued in the UK but requires a crime free certificate issued by the police plus other details such as financial income.

We applied for and received our O type visa by post from Hull.

Within 90 days of arriving in Pattaya we converted this visa to a retirement visa here in Pattaya. Every year we extend out origional Visa which was converted to a retirement visa. This probably takes about 15 minutes.

You will notice that previous posters are quite adamant about what you can get or not!

Really different countries have different arrangements for this.

Speaking from my experience re the UK the Thai Immigration do not ask for a crime free details to convert to a Retirement Visa here in Pattaya

begs

To apply for a Non Imm O-A Visa in London you need a police report.

To apply for a Non Imm O Visa in UK or elsewhere you do not.

To apply for a 12 month extension of stay (not a visa) based on retirement in Thailand you do not need a police report.

BTW You are extending your permission to stay not your Visa.

Hi All'

As I recall, when I moved here in April 2008. I had to go to Thai Consulate (in Hull)to obtain non Immigration "o" Visa plus police records check.

When I arrived at Swampy I received a 3 month stamp.If my memory is correct that is when I should have shown the UK police records check, which was never asked for, I did however need to show a doctors medical,carried out in Thailand. Stating that I had no infectious diseases, such as yellow fever, syphilis,etc. The reason for the medical in Thailand, I think is in case you travel through a country which has yellow fever, whilst in transit.

jb1

Forgot to mention no fingerprints

Edited by jimbeam1

I entered Thailand on a tourist visa but brought with me my Australian police report. I then applied for my retirement visa when I was already here and received without a question being asked or a bribe paid

Does anyone know if you can apply for the retirement (long term) visa in a different country (not Thailand of course) other than your native country citizenship and if a background investigation from the country you are in suffice? In other words, I am US citizen currently living and working in South Korea. Have been here for the past 17 years working as US contractor with the US military. Wife is Thai and I plan on retiring next summer and going to live in Udon in the house my wife owns that I paid for.....I have not been to the Thai embassy yet here in Seoul to ask the question, but was planning on doing the retirement (long term) visa here in Seoul and not have to go back to the US. Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience.

Tracechain, it's a good question that I can't answer, but just in case you don't know this yet, you do realize you can retire in Thailand using retirement extensions without EVER needing even one O-A (retirement) visa issued from your home country or in your case your home residence country. (Avoiding the need for the home country police record report and sometimes expensive medical report.)

Edited by Jingthing

As Jingthing says, you can simply apply for a non-O visa without the need for a police check. Only the O-A visa rquires a police check, the big difference between the two is that with an O-A visa you will have to get an extension after 1 year (or 2 years if a multiple) and with a non-O after 3 months (or 15 months with a multiple non-O).

If you want the O-A visa you can apply in the coutnry of your residence. The embassy will decide if they also require a police check from the US. The could ask for it, but dn't know if they will.

As Jingthing says, you can simply apply for a non-O visa without the need for a police check. Only the O-A visa rquires a police check, the big difference between the two is that with an O-A visa you will have to get an extension after 1 year (or 2 years if a multiple) and with a non-O after 3 months (or 15 months with a multiple non-O).

If you want the O-A visa you can apply in the coutnry of your residence. The embassy will decide if they also require a police check from the US. The could ask for it, but dn't know if they will.

Thanks guys. I want to do the one which gives me the longest stay time and the longest time between requesting extentions, be it through retirement or marriage.

Once you are in the system, you will need to apply for annual extensions, whether starting with an O-A or not. However, with the multiple entry O-A (must be a multi), there is a special benefit of being able to leave Thailand and return before the first annual expiration to receive a "free" additional one year stay. But after that, it's the same deal for everyone.