Policy On Visa Renewal

Am curious to hear the response to this problem.

My friend has to return home for an emergency. He has a marriage visa that expires in January. He needs to leave now and will be returing 3 months later.

He has a re-entry permit but the obivious is that his marriage visa will expire before he is back to start renewal process.

Before I call immigration to find out ( he speaks no Thai and I don't think his wife will be successful) I was curious to know if anyone has had this experience come up before.

He need to get an extension done (with a new reentry permit) valid at least until the date he plans to reenter the Kingdom. Explain the situation for the Immigration officer, they will help if you can present the case with some kind of evidence.

Otherwise his visa will be null and voided on entry, and he must start again from square one.

Thnaks George, I will pass the info to him. I didn't know about the 2 step process of extension and getting re-entry on the extension.

Hope it works out for him. It would be a real drag if he has to start the whole process over again.

Am really curious about this situation as it could happen to a lot of guys out there with marriage visas. I will go down and ask. Have to run to my bank on Sathorn next week anyway. Then have wife call to verify. :D Facts and rules/regulations are sometimes misunderstood and given to applicants by officials. :o

• 2 years later...
what should i do if im working illegally here and just stay by renewiung my 30 day visa on arrival? do i have to consider an overstay?

You should consider how (and/or where) to make a better foundation for your existance.