Eric Clapton Live In Bangkok 2011

webfact

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the venue like? Inside? Outside? Where in Bangkok?

Impact Arena. Muang Thong Thani, north of the city, near Laksi Intersection, pain to get to if you live in central bangkok. Inside just a big cement box -- horrible acoustics.

And yes, I bought my ticket today! :)

Saw him last time, what a legend! :)

all the Thais left before the encore! :blink:

Not surprising they left. I saw that show and it was dismal, took some Aussie mates and some Thais and everyone was bitterly disappointed. No pzazz, no real "performance". I've seen Ernie loads of times and he is usually great value. Of course, he was younger then. I dunno what happened last time; perhaps a late night the night before. Trouble is, he was that poor that I wouldn't risk him again. Others will I'm certain have different opinions which is fine. I'm afraid our Ernie has, for me, become a middle class old man who has lost his edge. He's just trotting it out for the money now.

I just spoke with one of our illustrious members who went 2-3 years ago and saw Eric in Concert at Impact. He said it was pretty bad. A waste of money. He said he only played one of his great classics. At 5,500 per ticket, I would be upset too!

It seems that the set list from that show can be found here:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/eric-clapton/2007/impact-arena-bangkok-thailand-73d6b2cd.html

Not surprising they left. I saw that show and it was dismal, took some Aussie mates and some Thais and everyone was bitterly disappointed. No pzazz, no real "performance". I've seen Ernie loads of times and he is usually great value. Of course, he was younger then. I dunno what happened last time; perhaps a late night the night before. Trouble is, he was that poor that I wouldn't risk him again. Others will I'm certain have different opinions which is fine. I'm afraid our Ernie has, for me, become a middle class old man who has lost his edge. He's just trotting it out for the money now.

I just spoke with one of our illustrious members who went 2-3 years ago and saw Eric in Concert at Impact. He said it was pretty bad. A waste of money. He said he only played one of his great classics. At 5,500 per ticket, I would be upset too!

Your mate must of been asleep or something. He played loads of classics!

It seems that the set list from that show can be found here:

http://www.setlist.f...d-73d6b2cd.html

That's a great set of classics.

No clue why one poster thought it wasn't.

Greatest pop cross-over hits are not great classics.

Though Layla is both.

Ever heard of Roy Buchanan?

Roy & his guitar Nancy is why I built a few Tele's

Roy with just volume swells could make a Tele cry so beautifully/hauntingly

His version of 'Sweet Dreams' is just out of this world, and he certainly stamps his own style on 'Hey Joe'.

Though Layla is both.

For me Clapton has produced nothing since Derek & The Dominoes, listen to the guitar work on Go To Get Better and Why Does Love Got To Be, and thats him just warming up doing finger stretching exercises, awesome stuff.

Cream, check out the guitar work on Crossroads, does it get any better?

Though Layla is both.

For me Clapton has produced nothing since Derek & The Dominoes, listen to the guitar work on Go To Get Better and Why Does Love Got To Be, and thats him just warming up doing finger stretching exercises, awesome stuff.

Cream, check out the guitar work on Crossroads, does it get any better?

Yeah, 461 Ocean Boulevard for instance.

Or Eric and BB King.

• 1 month later...

Great guitar player - loved him from album1 (the album with wrapping paper, coffee song, i feel free, four until late,....).

It was the first album i ever bought, 1968 i think.

Then some fool told him that he has a singing voice, and EC dumped jack bruce.

Was choosen singer of the year, twice, by some NME a*s crawlers.

If Eric Clapton were truly god - as was claimed before - he would just play guitar and leave the singing to others.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if there is an age restriction at this concert?

Thanks

I would guess you'd need to be at least 50 years old to want to go?

laugh.gif Typical ageism . I am far from 50, and I go with people in their twenties and thirties which have some taste and can beyond BEP (which I quite like too btw)

More to do with one of Eric's contemporaries, I don't recall ever hearing Dave Gilmour play a bum note, does anyone have any recordings where a wrong bend or note is discernible?

Dave Gilmour plays live around once every ten years,Clapton plays live around 10 times every year. But hey they are both great. Use to go and see Dave play in a band called "Jokers Wild" in Cambridge, when we were in our teens. :violin:

jb1

laugh.gif Typical ageism . I am far from 50, and I go with people in their twenties and thirties which have some taste and can beyond BEP (which I quite like too btw)

A weak attempt at humor on my part earlier and didn't plan on the ageism card. I am over 50 yo and listening to stuff like this churned out over and over bores the socks off of me. Give me something new from a teenager or octogenarian and I'm happy! Everyone to their own tastes of course.

Edited by Digitalbanana

I'll bet the show was fantastic! Besides being a great musician himself, Clapton has one of the great backing bands around, Chris Stainton on keys, Willie Weeks on bass and the incomparable Steve Gadd (think Steely Dan Aja drum solo).

For those who couldn't make the show and for blues guitar lovers in general, I would highly recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00428CPUY/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=1278548962&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B003VB5D84&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=08P4831PMK7GAC07TKAD

I'll bet the show was fantastic! Besides being a great musician himself, Clapton has one of the great backing bands around, Chris Stainton on keys, Willie Weeks on bass and the incomparable Steve Gadd (think Steely Dan Aja drum solo).

For those who couldn't make the show and for blues guitar lovers in general, I would highly recommend:

http://www.amazon.co...31PMK7GAC07TKAD

It was fantastic guitar.gif

Hope they release a DVD from this tour, really wortht it.

Rocking chair with jet engines

By Paul Dorsey

The Nation

Way up and low down in a very mortal encounter with the man who used to be God

Clapton in the Impact barn on Wednesday night: generous rocking, some blistering riffs, a slew of the hits, due respect to the roots, the crowd well-pleased, mission accomplished.

However - and I do hate to say anything bad about Eric Clapton, because the man's given us so much over the decades - the show foundered badly at times, and the fans (well, some of them anyway) had to be wondering how he was going to keep it upright.

Not if, since that's never in doubt, but how.

He did so with more of the blues rock for which he's primarily famous, closing out the two-hour concert by inviting us "Further On Up the Road". Other nights, as in Singapore on Monday, the finale has been the Robert Johnson classic "Crossroads", as given wheels by Cream. Possibly Eric knew that Thailand is already at its own crossroads.

Clapton's singing seems better than it's ever been, and he can still play circles around most guitarists with that Daphne Blue Strat, though I predict that Carlos Santana will eclipse him from the same stage in two weeks.

His audience was keen enough throughout, and downright jubilant for two hits late in the show - "Wonderful Tonight", which lit up the room with mobile-phone screens set to video, and "Cocaine", which fully unleashed the band and got many in the crowd dancing.

But the mood wasn't always so ecstatic.

With wrecked chairs still stacked up next door following Tuesday's Deftones debacle, Clapton and the band thankfully strode onstage just a little late, kicking into "Key to the Highway" without a word, let alone fanfare.

That not particularly great roller gave way to "Going Down Slow" and then "Hoochie Coochie Man", and Clapton still hadn't taken control.

The audience was meanwhile getting the feel of the band. Michelle John and Sharon White were lovely on the backing vocals. Chris Stainton (67 next month), former sideman with the Who and Bryan Ferry, shared memorable moments in the spotlight opposite fellow keyboardist Tim Carmon, who's shared the stage with Paul McCartney and Bob Dylan.

Everyone was cooking on all jets for "Little Queen of Spades" and "Before You Accuse Me" later in the evening.

The night's real thunder came from ancestral sidemen bassist Willie Weeks and drummer Steve Gadd (64 and 66 this year, respectively) leaning on the rudder, the dream team who've played with just about everybody. In fact Gadd was actually stealing the show until the fourth song, "Old Love", when old Slowhand let loose the fast fingers.

Suddenly there it was, the familiar lyricism and intensity, that thrilling sustain on individual notes. These moments of brilliance were too few and far between, but Clapton can make a Stratocaster at full volume sound like a fluting, charging demon, then turn on a pin for a breath-catching arpeggio flourish.

Having reminded us who he is, Clapton played "I Shot the Sheriff", beginning with a genuine reggae rhythm that Bob Marley would have enjoyed before lapsing into that chunk-a-chunk version he recorded. At least the rest of the band had something to chew on, and the audience loved it, finally recognising a title.

Out came a chair for Eric (66 next month), an acoustic guitar, and cue the listlessness. Folks tried to clap along to "Driftin'", then drifted off because they were drowning him out.

"Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out" and "River Runs Deep" were a little more amenable to interaction, and "Rocking Chair" was better because he switched to a semi-acoustic and somewhat more serious string-bending.

But the seats were emptying fast as fans took the opportunity to offload their Singha beer and buy some more. My thirsty section was decimated for the carnival-like "When Somebody Thinks You're Wonderful", which was sort of honky-tonk and sort of English music hall and might have been a sing-along in Clapton's grandparents' day.

I sat there watching an old man. There were several telling moments in the show, and one of them came during "Layla" - we got the acoustic version, alas. To me he looked for all the world like a grizzled old geezer on a park bench, oversize glasses halfway down his nose, squinting into the distance, challenging passers-by as if to say, "Do you know who I used to be?"

He used to be God, when Cream created Heaven. Clapton has spent a career sidling away from glory, quite unsuccessfully. He didn't want to be God. He tried to hide in Derek & the Dominos and ended up with "Layla", one of the greatest classics of rock. He gave up his son and ended up cleansing the world with "Tears in Heaven".

He hasn't played that one live lately. Clapton stood up from his park bench and instead offered us another Cream song, "Badge", which he wrote with George Harrison. It was another telling moment. More flashes of guitar pyrotechnics, that howling tubular sound he makes, and the band in an almighty uproar.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-02-18

He was much better than I expected. I found his playing more than up to his high standards. I was glued to my seat all the time. The acoustic version of "Layla" introduced on his comeback album "Unplugged" was, if anything, more successful than the original version which really needed the brother guitar of Duane Allman. "Badge" and "Little Queen of Spades" were nothing short of amazing. Long may he rock!