Permanent Residence: Procedure, Advantages

Male, over 50, Swiss passport, married to Thai passport holder.

If I understand correctly, after 3 consecutive years in Thailand on a non-immigrant O visa (purpose: support of Thai wife) I shall qualify to apply for permanent residence (if that’s the correct term) and, if granted, thereafter no longer need to apply for annual renewal of the non-immigrant O visa.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of permanent residence, compared to a continuation of annual renewal of the non-immigrant O visa?

If during those initial 3 years on annual extensions of the non-immigrant O visa I stay outside Thailand for 7 months each year, will I still qualify to apply for permanent residence?

--

meshka

If I understand correctly, after 3 consecutive years in Thailand on a non-immigrant O visa (purpose: support of Thai wife) I shall qualify to apply for permanent residence (if that’s the correct term) and, if granted, thereafter no longer need to apply for annual renewal of the non-immigrant O visa.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of permanent residence, compared to a continuation of annual renewal of the non-immigrant O visa?

If during those initial 3 years on annual extensions of  the non-immigrant O visa I stay outside Thailand for 7 months each year, will I still qualify to apply for permanent residence?

--

meshka

to be more precise, it is 3 non interrrupted 1 year PERMIT extensions.

then there is also a country quota.

As dr_Pat_Pong said, do a search and you should find a number of threads dealing with this topic.

There is an application fee in the amount of 200,000 if I’m not completely mistaken. I think this may be half that if you are married. You also need to go through an interview (all in Thai) before your granted the residency.

I’ll leave it up to the guys who actually have a residency to fill you in on all the details.

Tompa,

If during those initial 3 years on annual extensions of  the non-immigrant O visa I stay outside Thailand for 7 months each year, will I still qualify to apply for permanent residence?

--

meshka

to be more precise, it is 3 non interrrupted 1 year PERMIT extensions.

then there is also a country quota.

Thats right....not border runs allowed

Use the search function on here. This topic has been very well done on ThaiVisa in the past.

Thank you for this tip. I've spent many hours over the past two weeks reading this forum but didn't think of using the search function. Silly of me! (Couldn't decide on a smily to express my embarassment)

Now that I have read the threads filtered out with my search with "permanent residence", things are much clearer to me. Anyway, once I decide to start the procedure with the 3 consecutive annual permit extensions, I shall have at least 3 years to decide whether I want to go the residency route, with everything that it involves or, rather, will at that future time involve.

Edited by maestro

maestro,you could use those three years to good effect by learning to speak and read Thai which i believe is part of the residency process.Only trouble is it took me seven years to learn. :o

I am thinking along those lines.

Until now, I never stayed in Thailand long enough at a time to sign up for a course, but the way things are developing now, starting next year I may want to spend the European winter months, e.g. November to March, in Thailand and that's when it would seem practical to start the non-imm O, with subsequent annual extensions. This year, I shall go for just 4 weeks in December, as I have been doing in the past.

From what I've read so far, I could easily live with annual extensions for the rest of my life, the added benefits of residency not being important for me, but at least I shall have that option if and when I should feel like it and consider myself qualified for it.

I worry, though, that as I get older and increasingly forgetful, I might forget to have a re-entry permit stamped in my passport before leaving Thailand. There's little harm in that and hardly any financial loss if I do not need the continuity for an application for residency.

Incidentally, what's the validity ("utilize before" date) of a re-entry permit? Is it the expiration date of the last annual extension of the non-imm O visa, regardless whether it is a single or multiple re-entry permit? I'm sure the answer is somewhere in the forum but I find it difficult to filter it out with a search query.

Incidentally, what's the validity ("utilize before" date) of a re-entry permit? Is it the expiration date of the last annual extension of the non-imm O visa, regardless whether it is a single or multiple re-entry permit? I'm sure the answer is somewhere in the forum but I find it difficult to filter it out with a search query.

Yes. The same date as your permitted to stay until stamp.

I have looked into the resident visa and have deicded, at least for me and probably most others, their isn't any advantage to having it (resident visa) instead of the 1 year retirement visa. First it's expensive (200,000 bhat as one poster noted) and a lot of paper work. My advice would be to stick with the 1,900 bhat per year retirement visa or the marriage visa which are both easy to obtain with a minimal amount of paperwork once a year.

I got PR a couple of years ago. To be honest, there are few advantages, in fact the only significant ones are that you don't need a visa, and you can apply for nationality in a few years (again, not many advantages other than can own land). For me I got PR just for the feeling that my life here is not dependent on the whim of an immigration official. Ask yourself why you want PR, and then compare the advantages and cost with the alternatives. The paperwork and interviews are a lot of work, and the fee is a lot of money to most of us. The retirement visa seems to be a good long term alternative if you qualify, if I was older I would have seriously considered this instead.

Edited by Lazy Sod

I got PR a couple of years ago. To be honest, there are few advantages, in fact the only significant ones are that you don't need a visa, and you can apply for nationality in a few years (again, not many advantages other than can own land). For me I got PR just for the feeling that my life here is not dependent on the whim of an immigration official. Ask yourself why you want PR, and then compare the advantages and cost with the alternatives. The paperwork and interviews are a lot of work, and the fee is a lot of money to most of us. The retirement visa seems to be a good long term alternative if you qualify, if I was older I would have seriously considered this instead.

Did you obtain PR in the business or family support category?

I tend to agree your assessment of the relative advantages -or lack of them -in PR.But it does give a sense of genuine security which I value highly.I do however disagree with your suggestion that a retirement visa is a good long term alternative to PR.

PR or renewing the yearly visa boils down to a question of security,what makes you feel content and relaxed.If you worry a lot about the yearly extensions then the money for PR is not a barrier to peace of mind.

I see what you're getting at.However it's not an either/or situation.The vast majority of those on yearly extensions do not qualify even to apply for PR.Of those who are properly qualified to apply, a fair proportion often get rejected.

Boris: I applied under business category.

Can u let us know exactly what u had to produce ?How much was your salary at the time of applying?How long had u been extending your yearly non B before applying?and did u have to produce any under table money?You had any contacts which made it easier for you to get PR?etc.

Can u let us know exactly what u had to produce ?How much was your salary at the time of applying?How long had u been extending your yearly non B before applying?and did u have to produce any under table money?You had any contacts which made it easier for you to get PR?etc.

I can tell you the position in my case:

Salary Considerably more (ie by several factors) than the usually stipulated minimum.But big salary not necessary though evidence of paying tax is essential.

Yearly non B extended for 12 years.

No under the table money asked for or paid.

I had no contacts other than a supporting letter from a pooyay type (actually a super pooyay)

Best advice is to use a decent Thai immigration lawyer.A lot of people -usually without PR- will tell you this is not necessary or even counter productive.Don't believe them.It can nevertheless be done without and I have one or two friends who have achieved this.

Having started this thread, in a somewhat disoriented fashion, at this point I should like to thank all who contributed, especially Dr Pat Pong who initially pointed me in the right direction for my research and George who listed a most useful URL, but also every other poster who added valuable details that I might otherwise have overlooked and those who related informative snippets drawn from personal experience.

I now have decided to take the plunge, next year, and apply for a non-OA marriage visa (see: I am gradually learning the jargon :o ) and subsequently for annual extensions, and to make a genuine effort to learn to speak, read and write Thai.

PR or renewing the yearly visa boils down to a question of security,what makes you feel content and relaxed.If you worry a lot about the yearly extensions then the money for PR is not a barrier to peace of mind.

Later, when I feel sufficiently confident of succeeding, I plan to apply for Permanent Residence.

In the meantime, hopefully, broadband Internet access and telecommunications in general will improve in Thailand, but that’s another story, and another forum on this site, as I have discovered.

Sas Cars: My situation was similar to Boris, except that I didn't have a letter from a Pooyai.

For me, the benefits of PR are as follows:

1. Security/peace of mind

2. No more 90 day reporting

3. No need to send money from abroad when buying a condo.

4. Ability to apply for Thai citizenship in the future.

5. Name in tabian baan

Number 1 and 4 are the most important to me.

Cheers,

Bob

I now have decided to take the plunge, next year, and apply for a non-OA marriage visa (see: I am gradually learning the jargon :o ) and subsequently for annual extensions, and to make a genuine effort to learn to speak, read and write Thai.

You don't need to read or write Thai to get PR, although it would be useful anyway. For the interview you just need a reasonable command of spoken Thai.

I now have decided to take the plunge, next year, and apply for a non-OA marriage visa (see: I am gradually learning the jargon )

Well, not quite... The Non Immigrant O-A visa is the so-called "retirement visa," allowing for a one-year stay (vice 90 days for an "O" visa). It can't be obtained under "support Thai wife" criteria. Tons of info on the O-A on this forum.

If you meet the criteria for both "retirement" and "marriage" visa extensions, you may want to consider the "retirement" route -- which would bring the O-A into play. Again, several items on this forum comparing the two.

I now have decided to take the plunge, next year, and apply for a non-OA marriage visa (see: I am gradually learning the jargon )

Well, not quite... The Non Immigrant O-A visa is the so-called "retirement visa," allowing for a one-year stay (vice 90 days for an "O" visa). It can't be obtained under "support Thai wife" criteria. Tons of info on the O-A on this forum.

If you meet the criteria for both "retirement" and "marriage" visa extensions, you may want to consider the "retirement" route -- which would bring the O-A into play. Again, several items on this forum comparing the two.

Give me another two years -- no, make that four -- and I shall know enough of this complex subject to write a thesis for a PhD :o

So the O-A category has two types (http://www.thaivisa.com/318.0.html, left frame):

1) Retirement Visa O-A: for retirement, and nothing but retirement.

2) Marriage Visa O-A Thailand: for the purpose of supporting Thai wife

Is it true that the visa to "support Thai wife" allows application for a work permit, if desired, the other does not?

Regrettably, I am not enough of a geek yet to filter that one out from among the millions of posts here (spent half an hour searching for it, no kidding! I wanted that sensation of success, but failed miserably). I recollect reading, though, that for the annual extensions of the Marriage O-A one has to show only half the amount of money (400K) that is required for the Retirement O-A (800K), and also the Residence Permit costs only half. (I hope I got that right :D )

Having started this thread, in a somewhat disoriented fashion, at this point I should like to thank all who contributed, especially Dr Pat Pong who initially pointed me in the right direction for my research and George who listed a most useful URL, but also every other poster who added valuable details that I might otherwise have overlooked and those who related informative snippets drawn from personal experience.

Later, when I feel sufficiently confident of succeeding, I plan to apply for Permanent Residence.

In the meantime, hopefully, broadband Internet access and telecommunications in general will improve in Thailand, but that’s another story, and another forum on this site, as I have discovered.

:D The O-A is for retirement. You need an O if you are applying based on marriage/support of a Thai national :D

:D  The O-A is for retirement. You need an O if you are applying based on marriage/support of a Thai national :o

Aha, so that's how it is. Thank you for the clarification. There's O (which I understand to stand for "Other"), and there's O-A, (leaving room for future additions from O-B to O-Z). All clear now.

You almost have it now - the O is indeed other and the A simply means pre approved by immigration for a one year stay. With that pre approval the holder gets stamped into Thailand for one year when they enter instead of the normal 90 days.

maestro,

I can see why the confusion: the TV page you mention (left column) indeed refers to a "marriage O-A." However, literally, this is incorrect. (Some of these TV boilerplate reference pages *do* need to be up-dated; but not sure who to ping about it(?).)

The confusion is that 'O-A' became an all-encompassing shorthand for a stamp in your passport allowing you to stay for one year, based either on marriage or retirement. For most, this is a one year extension of stay, obtained IN Thailand, of your 'O' visa. Both 'marriage' (actually, support of a Thai dependent) or 'retirement' are the two criteria. On the other hand, the 'O-A' can only be obtained OUTSIDE Thailand at a Thai Embassy or Consulate -- in which case only 'retirement' qualifies as criteria.

It is easy to see why the confusion -- but it can cause some unnecessary hoops, as one chap actually paid for a police report in his home country, thinking this was necessary to extend his 'O' here in Thailand (the real 'O-A' DOES require a police report; extending in Thailand DOES NOT).

(leaving room for future additions from O-B to O-Z). All clear now.

Actually, there is an "O-Z" visa category. But it's restricted to Aussies. :o