PM Abhisit To Take Responsibility For Potential Clashes Between Red And Yellow Shirts

webfact

PM to take responsibility for potential clashes

The prime minister says he is ready to rethink the proposed constitutional changes if they trigger conflicts.

Meanwhile, he has vowed to take responsibility if clashes take place between the red shirt and yellow shirt groups, as each have a different opinion about the amendment.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva spoke about a possible setback in the ongoing campaign to pass the draft constitutional amendments in Parliament next week, saying that he is willing to review them if the process hits a stumbling block.

He reiterated that the government does not intend to widen the rift in society by putting forward the draft amendments at this time.

The premier, meanwhile, called on supporters of the People's Alliance for Democracy to organize their rally within the law.

Abhisit added that he has urged the authorities to ensure security and work to prevent any confrontation between the red and yellow shirt groups.

He also pledged to take responsibility if any clashes occur.

The prime minister went on to explain that the government rejected an amendment proposal by a civic committee for constitutional amendment because it contains issues that could lead to further conflict.

He insisted that a public referendum will be held even though no agreement has yet been reached on it among Coalition, Opposition and Senate whips.

Democrat Party Spokesperson Buranutch Samutarak said every Parliament member will determine whether or not to vote for the draft constitutional amendments, while ruling out the idea that there are any hidden motives or plots to create conditions that would lead to a dissolution of the House.

He also expressed disagreement with the Pheu Thai Party's support of recommendations from the civic committee over the reinstatement of the 1997 Constitution, saying that it is not the right solution to the ongoing conflict.

Buranutch revealed that his party is holding a meeting at which members will exchange opinions and seek to find a common ground, since there have been differing points of view about the charter amendments.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-11-22

footer_n.gif

Plz, could somebody explain this in layman's terms?

I'm getting, > Sondhi doesn't like the amendments, threatening yellow demonstrations, so Abhisit is delaying and/or cancelling the changes?

< is that it? i really want to know..,

he, not PAD, will be responsible if that peeves off the reds? gaining merit? with the elite

All I can say at this stage is Bravo.

At least he is trying to do something to re-unite the people of Thailand which is far more than the opposition party and even some of the coalition parties.

What is more important is that he says he is willing to take responsibility if there are problems.

Something I find conspicuously lacking in most Thai politicians.

I hope that he succeeds as this country needs more honest politicians like him to take the country forward.

Be nice if they tabled publicly what the changes to the constitutions are then hold a referendum for the publics approval. I mean what happened to government for the people by the people or are we still allowing the money men, rats in red and yellow hardliners to control Thailand? Seems a small minority parties are telling the rest of us what to do! mad.gif

All I can say at this stage is Bravo.

At least he is trying to do something to re-unite the people of Thailand which is far more than the opposition party and even some of the coalition parties.

What is more important is that he says he is willing to take responsibility if there are problems.

Something I find conspicuously lacking in most Thai politicians.

I hope that he succeeds as this country needs more honest politicians like him to take the country forward.

Yes he said that he would take responsibility, but what exactly is he going to do if there is problems between

the reds & yellows? I think the only thing he would do is go on his weekly television show and say "yes, I am

responsible" end of story!

Progress is being made by way of constitutional change whether or not that staisfies anyone. All sides seek a change, therefore have to agree with change taking place. The shaping of that change can only be done by engaging in the process. A process of debate when the opportunity arises. Hence, you've got to be in to be out.

In contrast the protests are contained and allowed. That is so in an active democracy but as we all know, marching and shouting and waving placards long after the fact, has little effect other than develpoing sore feet and throats. The yellows simply re-act to the red mist - those in red who missed the Thaksin boat and never got to Cambodia. So they are l;eft to walk the walk but not talk the talk as they aren't sure, and never were, of any policy or ideology other than: Thai Rak Thai.

And we see daily there's not much love on the streets of Silom when the red mist comes down.

In conclusion, Abhisit continues an effective way forward that has out flanked not only the red politicians [ what else wouldyou expect from an Oxford educated politician?] but also the gorillas [in the red mist?] in uniform.

History will define his legacy but I expect it to be cementing the democratic route and making fair elections a Thai reality. The latter being due to ridding Thailand of the main money abusers of vote buying.

The future looks bright as thuggery - at last - can no longer flourish.

I think it that some reds are just wanting the 97 constition back, while others are talking a bit to the gov but not agreeing. The yellows want different ammenfments to the current constitution to wahat the gov wants also.

The government is putting forward it's own ideas; some of which the ptp asked for before but now can't make up their minds because it might actualy mean trashing a settlement less reason for conflict (conflict being their only rallying point they don't want to let it go),

so basically no one agrees with anyone so discussion posponed. (whole point of ammenfments was meant to be to bring all in to process and agree a charter so future ellections can take place and next gov doesn't just spend all it's time rewriting constitution)

One of the gov backed proposals (but as a pander to reds) is to change the law disbanding a whole party if a member is caught at ellectral fraud, to one where only the offending member is banned not the whole party.

The other changes I can't remember but it's all out there in the public; I've read about it in news reports on the forum. Nothing secretive about what's going on.

Another change under debate is switching the number of mps from each region. Currently 2 or 3 I think; ptp wanted it to go down to just 1. Some demorcrats against this as think easier / less money to spend to buy the votes to get 1 candidate ellected than 3 so having more candidates would make it so exspensive parties might not bother as not enough funds to swing a whole ellection. The pm was indicating he was ready to meet this demand if it meant reaching a deal then ptp say actualy it's not so important after all.

I think ptp don't realy know what they want. Same like the negotiations to end the protests. They just keep moving the goal posts to string it out and keep conflict going.

Yellows want a kind of non ellected house of lord or senate, made up of professionals, proffessors and the like, but I don't think this at all under consideration. They just want to make a bit of noise to remind the government and the reds that they are still around and that the government shouldn't give in too much.

Plz, could somebody explain this in layman's terms?

I'm getting, > Sondhi doesn't like the amendments, threatening yellow demonstrations, so Abhisit is delaying and/or cancelling the changes?

< is that it? i really want to know..,

he, not PAD, will be responsible if that peeves off the reds? gaining merit? with the elite