Are Swedish Tour Operators Covering Up The Threat Of Deadly Jellyfish In Thailand

webfact

I dont see much of a cover up except in Malaysia where the doctor cited cause of death to e drowning.

Not warning before the flight and then only warning them at the beach hotels is a bit deceptive.

Wikipedia has the prescribed treatment and procedures.

1. Vinigar

2. Chironex antivenom

As I said earlier - cover-up or not - were YOU aware of these animals in Thai waters? Have you seen the follow up to the Conference i Phuket?

if not you are in good company.

THe media in Thailand is largely controlled by the Army who like to control everything - if they decide that a story is potentially "harmful" to business as usual" then it gets lost, swept under the carpet........ isn't that a cover up?

Edited by Deeral

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm very sad to hear of anyone passing from an untimely occurrence, but if every event that could possible lead to death be published I think that we would not go any where at all. Western governments in particular are starting to wrap people in cotton wool, maybe we should have a caution when anyone is born some what like on packet of cigarettes, something like " CAUTION living life to the fullest can cause untimely death"

Living life to fullest is fun!!!!!!!!!

Those of us who know Hua Hin ( lets face it there's a lot of Farang there) know that jellyfish are very common on that beach; August just gone the guys/ladies in the beech cafe put vineger on my two boys stings but it was very minor.

This BOXjellyfish is a lot more SERIOUS and the locals in HAu HIn and Cha'am need to find out if this is a new threat & when the threat is most likely; If needs be the farang must take the lead on this worrying issue. This area is one of the most popular for Thais and Farang family holidays. Thanks.

I don't think that cover up is going on. I think Thai authority fully aware of this 3 case for 3 year period. Phuket Gazette run 2 page article about it. I think it was conferece here in Phuket involving scientist,government,tour operators an

and all information was easily accesable.

Thousands tourist swimming in Pang Na Bay and Phuket daily. If it was a real problem, it would of many more cases.

I was bitten by a jellyfish in 2002 in Ao Nang (Phuket), beeing treated by thai-friends with lao kao and vinnegar, pain for a week or so. Since then I wear a wet-suit when i'm swimming.

Quote: Keep a bottle of white vinegar handy for treatment if a bite occurs. Still seek treatment; the vinegar usually slows things down. I am no expert on Thai jellyfish thougfh.

This illustrates that any idiot can post anything.

Firstly, they sting. They don't have teeth so can not bite. Bit of an understatement confessing to not being an expert. Believe me. We knew that.

The box jellyfish kills. Vinegar can stop that? Really? And I thought it was just for chips.

Beware of morons.

Freely available? to whom?

THis is information that should be on TV and national news papers and radio stations, not on obscure sites on the net.

It's like the notice in H2G2TG - In the disused toilet in the basement with a sign on the door saying "beware of the Leopard"

just a cursory glance at some of the posts on this site will show you the extent of ignorance on the subject.

This nothing to do with "wrapping in cotton wool" it is a right to know!

There should be signs on beaches and a first aid kit with vinegar in it.

and as if to bear this out, most of the addresses you've given are 2 years old or so - and what has been done in the mean time?

THis is information that should be on TV and national news papers and radio stations, not on obscure sites on the net.

It's like the notice in H2G2TG - In the disused toilet in the basement with a sign on the door saying "beware of the Leopard"

just a cursory glance at some of the posts on this site will show you the extent of ignorance on the subject.

and as if to bear this out, most of the addresses you've given are 2 years old or so - and what has been done in the mean time?

"wrapping in cotton wool" does not does not mean that you have the right to be informed

I spent most of my life in Hawaii before coming to Thailand. In Hawaii, jellyfish are an occasional problem and often follow the cycles of the moon. The most common jellyfish in Hawaii is the Portuguese man 'o war. The State will issue advisories when it is known that the jellyfish will be a problem.

I have been stung twice by the man 'o war and it was painful but left no lasting affects. However, I have known other to be severely affected and have seen people left with scars. If a person is allergic to bee stings, they will also be similarly affected by a jellyfish sting -- and may even die without immediate medical treatment. Of course, some jellyfish have more potent stings than others.

If local residents know there is a jellyfish problem, they should notify government offices, who should, in turn, inform hotels and others using the beaches that there is a jellyfish problem. It is just a matter of common sense to protect one's own citizens and visitors. It won't cause a panic but people will be advised of the risk before they decide to go swimming, diving, or snorkeling.

Lastly, I learned that it is worth a walk on the beach to see what has washed up in recent times. If there are jellyfish in the water, more than likely they will have washed up on the beach. Be careful, though. I dead jellyfish can still sting if stepped on.

"wrapping in cotton wool" does not does not mean that you have the right to be informed

well there's a classic non-sequitur if ever I saw one - how do you come to make that statement from anything I wrote?please get with it before you post

Edited by Deeral

I researched "Box Jelly Fish" (head shaped like a box) after seeing the Will Smith movie where he kills himself with one. They are not like other jelly fish. If you get stung by the Box jelly fish, Then you are dead. They carry enough vemon to kill 30 people.

They are different to other jelly fish too as they dont just float around but actually swim towards their prey. So discussing treatments and creams for Box jelly fish is like discussing treatments and creams for having your head cut off or being shot in the head by a 50 caliber. There is extremely little chance of survival.

Regular jelly fish is another matter. You can talk vinegar and creams all you like.

If there are Box Jelly Fish in your area then dont swim unless you enjoy parachuting without the parachute.

I researched "Box Jelly Fish" (head shaped like a box) after seeing the Will Smith movie where he kills himself with one. They are not like other jelly fish. If you get stung by the Box jelly fish, Then you are dead. They carry enough vemon to kill 30 people.

They are different to other jelly fish too as they dont just float around but actually swim towards their prey. So discussing treatments and creams for Box jelly fish is like discussing treatments and creams for having your head cut off or being shot in the head by a 50 caliber. There is extremely little chance of survival.

Regular jelly fish is another matter. You can talk vinegar and creams all you like.

If there are Box Jelly Fish in your area then dont swim unless you enjoy parachuting without the parachute.

THe purpose of the vinegar in NOT to reduce pain etc or counteract the venom, it is to PARALYSE the stingers on the tentacles to prevent continued injection of venom.Removing the tentacles BEFORE the vinegar has been applied will only increase the amount of venom injected.

If they are that small how can you see the tenticles so clear??

Who or what are you saying is small?

THere is a small species of stinger - about the size of a thunmb that has caused at least one death as it can float through stinger nets, but the box jelly is quite big and the tentacles can be over 3 metres long.

Indeed, this article is absolutely ridiculous. The video shows a "nearly invisible" one centimeter wide deadly Jellyfish that does not kill instantly, yet it is claimed that the poor person who died in Langkawi was attacked by a creature big enough to wrap its tentacles around the victim causing a quick death, which in my mind does suggest drowning. Highly irresponsible to accuse both the Malaysian authorities and the Swedish Tour Operators of a cover up with absolutely no evidence whatsoever. This really is sensationalism at its very worst.

I have been swimming here for 20 years, must have missed something... I bet it's much more dangerous to cross the street

I believe it was a portuguese-man-of war jellyfish that killed the poor lady because the jelly fish wrapped its tentacles around her, the pain is so great that it can kill and has killed a few of people. Especially if the jelly fish was wrapped around her with its many tentacles producing many large welts. Most people who have been stung by them have only had pehaps one part of a tentacle sting them, but even that can cause imense pain but is never fatal. I did once have this jellyfish wrapped around me and I nearly died. I got to hospital just in time having drank a bottled of whisky on the way which relieved the pain and probably saved my life. I was paralized the next day.Pumped with anti histamines. I recovered.

The purpose of the vinegar in NOT to reduce pain etc or counteract the venom, it is to PARALYSE the stingers on the tentacles to prevent continued injection of venom.Removing the tentacles BEFORE the vinegar has been applied will only increase the amount of venom injected.

For a regular jelly fish sting thats helpful. However for the box jelly fish youre dead after a very short time. The only way to survive to to get CPR non-stop till you get the the hospital. Apparently if you survive for about an hour or so with CPR then you can survive. But usually such help is seldom available after the box jelly fish sting and the people die very quickly.

So the question really is: Are there Box jelly fish in the swimming areas of Thailand? Or are they coming for some reason? People should be informed about this point. I wouldn't take anyone swimming in areas know to have them. Try explaining that to their parents: We knew there were box jelly fish but we swam anyway.

Indeed, this article is absolutely ridiculous. The video shows a "nearly invisible" one centimeter wide deadly Jellyfish that does not kill instantly, yet it is claimed that the poor person who died in Langkawi was attacked by a creature big enough to wrap its tentacles around the victim causing a quick death, which in my mind does suggest drowning. Highly irresponsible to accuse both the Malaysian authorities and the Swedish Tour Operators of a cover up with absolutely no evidence whatsoever. This really is sensationalism at its very worst.

I have been swimming here for 20 years, must have missed something... I bet it's much more dangerous to cross the street

I believe it was a portuguese-man-of war jellyfish that killed the poor lady because the jelly fish wrapped its tentacles around her, the pain is so great that it can kill and has killed a few of people. Especially if the jelly fish was wrapped around her with its many tentacles producing many large welts. Most people who have been stung by them have only had pehaps one part of a tentacle sting them, but even that can cause imense pain but is never fatal. I did once have this jellyfish wrapped around me and I nearly died. I got to hospital just in time having drank a bottled of whisky on the way which relieved the pain and probably saved my life. I was paralized the next day.Pumped with anti histamines. I recovered.

Have you not read bout the box jelly? Are you trying to say that because it wrapped it's tentacles around this is a sign that the species WASN"T a Box?????

The purpose of the vinegar in NOT to reduce pain etc or counteract the venom, it is to PARALYSE the stingers on the tentacles to prevent continued injection of venom.Removing the tentacles BEFORE the vinegar has been applied will only increase the amount of venom injected.

For a regular jelly fish sting thats helpful. However for the box jelly fish youre dead after a very short time. The only way to survive to to get CPR non-stop till you get the the hospital. Apparently if you survive for about an hour or so with CPR then you can survive. But usually such help is seldom available after the box jelly fish sting and the people die very quickly.

So the question really is: Are there Box jelly fish in the swimming areas of Thailand? Or are they coming for some reason? People should be informed about this point. I wouldn't take anyone swimming in areas know to have them. Try explaining that to their parents: We knew there were box jelly fish but we swam anyway.

THis is getting daft - you appear to be saying that applying vinegar won't help and that it is suitable for other jelly fish?

the vinegar, when applied to the TENTACLES of a box jelly may save your life!

THis has to be done BEFORE the tentacles are pulled off - this is nothing to do with "other" jellyfish - this is the standard recommended way of dealing with a box jelly sting.

failure to do this may well kill the victim

Edited by Deeral

My wife got bit on the ankle in the waters off the beach at Cha-Am about eight years ago. She came to shore and was crying and alternately screaming. She's normally no cry baby and so I'm sure it hurt like hel_l. I was just thankful it wasn't me because I am a big cry baby. Some locals came by to help. One of them ran down the beach got what we would call a "poultice" which they offered to "sell" to me for I think about 30 baht. (Nothing is free in Thailand, even help.) They seemed to know what they were doing and so I eagerly accepted the proposition. We applied this wet dark green looking paste to the area of the sting. It did seem to help alleviate the pain somewhat. I was told later the main ingredient in this poultice was urine. Go figure. She still has a scar on her ankle to this day.

Box jellyfish are a seasonal problem in tropical Australian waters. Generally the "wet" season is when they are dangerous. Northern Australia & Thailand are not dissimilar conditions wise. Generally it is best to not swim when they are about. Keep a bottle of white vinegar handy for treatment if a bite occurs. Still seek treatment; the vinegar usually slows things down. I am no expert on Thai jellyfish thougfh.

Yes I always take a litre of vinegar with me whenever I go swimming!!! Pissing on it slows down the effects - but as you correctly say seek medical help.

My wife got bit on the ankle in the waters off the beach at Cha-Am about eight years ago. She came to shore and was crying and alternately screaming. She's normally no cry baby and so I'm sure it hurt like hel_l. I was just thankful it wasn't me because I am a big cry baby. Some locals came by to help. One of them ran down the beach got what we would call a "poultice" which they offered to "sell" to me for I think about 30 baht. (Nothing is free in Thailand, even help.) They seemed to know what they were doing and so I eagerly accepted the proposition. We applied this wet dark green looking paste to the area of the sting. It did seem to help alleviate the pain somewhat. I was told later the main ingredient in this poultice was urine. Go figure. She still has a scar on her ankle to this day.

On holiday in Cha-Am many years ago we were told not to go in the sea, as at that time of year there were very nasty jellyfish around. We met one Thai guy who showed us his scars (from many years previously). They were horrendous and certainly put us off going in the sea!

At the time, the jellyfish were only around for a few months and tourists were warned as it was well known.

Unfortunately it looks as the jellyfish are now spreading southwards.

Too many posters are confusing these jellyfish with the normal jellyfish which sting a bit, but do no serious harm.

IF box jellyfish are now around - its a serious problem - they don't just leave permanent scars, they KILL people, and very quickly. They are deadly.

There can be no doubt that Phuket and other Southern areas previously had no problem with the seriously nasty jellyfish, but now they have a problem insofar as these jellyfish have turned up and are harming a few people. It's rare, but it is happening and, worryingly, will probably get worse.

Vinegar and piss DON"T SLOW DOWN THE EFFECTS!!!!!

THe vinegar paralyses the stinging mechanism preventing further injection of the venom.The venom once in the blodstream will continue on it's way and until you receive medical treatment nothing will "slow down the effects"

Niether vinegar or piss are Antidotes!!!!

It may even irritate the wound but.........

"Vinegar dousing may irritate freshly stung skin, but as a nematocyst inhibitor vinegar remains an essential part of the first aid treatment for cubozoan jellyfish stings."

nematocysts.....THe stinging mechanism itself is like a microscopic "taser" that fires a hypodermic syringe into the victim. They are so small, thousands are fired into the body of the victim in an instant ...... vinegar prevents these little mechanisms from working - that is why you need it.

Edited by Deeral

THe vinegar paralyses the stinging mechanism preventing further injection of the venom.The venom once in the blodstream will continue on it's way and until you receive medical treatment nothing will "slow down the effects"

"Vinegar dousing may irritate freshly stung skin, but as a nematocyst inhibitor vinegar remains an essential part of the first aid treatment for cubozoan jellyfish stings."

nematocysts.....THe stinging mechanism itself is like a microscopic "taser" that fires a hypodermic syringe into the victim. They are so small, thousands are fired into the body of the victim in an instant ...... vinegar prevents these little mechanisms from working - that is why you need it.

Im interested to hear about actual examples of box jellyfish survivors and the use of vinegar. When i did my research I learnt that there were very very few survivors and those very small number survived by CPR as the body was paralized and not able to do its own breathing. Or are you talking about regular jelly fish?

Or is there some other "Box jelly fish" that doesn't kill you within minutes from a single tentacle?

Im interested to hear about actual examples of box jellyfish survivors and the use of vinegar. When i did my research I learnt that there were very very few survivors and those very small number survived by CPR as the body was paralized and not able to do its own breathing. Or are you talking about regular jelly fish?

Or is there some other "Box jelly fish" that doesn't kill you within minutes from a single tentacle?

You sound to me like someone who mistakes an hour or two on Google for research. If you had done any real research you would not be so confused - I have said several times that vinegar relates to box jellies - yes there arre subspecies etc but it is the MECHANISM that is stopped by the vinegar.

vinegar is FIRST AID - before trying to remove tentacles - naturally any trained person would respond to heart failure, lack of breathing etc appropriately.

Not everyone dies - somewhere today I saw a figure of 68% fatality.

UIt depends on many factors - how much VENOM it injected , the health and age of the victim , how quickly AID is administered. This brings us back to the issue of "cover-up"

If both tourists and local authorities are well informed and take precautions then in the event of an incident, emergency measures can quickly be set in place - but as it seems that virtually no-one in Thailand has a clue about the Box Jelly; what the symptoms are let alone what treatment is needed. It seems that any victim on the beaches of Thailand has a much slimmer chance of surviaval than say Australia where public awareness is high.

I'm finding you very obtuse.

Edited by Deeral

You sound to me like someone who mistakes an hour or two on Google for research. If you had done any real research you would not be so confused - I have said several times that vinegar relates to box jellies - yes there arre subspecies etc but it is the MECHANISM that is stopped by the vinegar.

Ok, so in the 5-30% chance you dont die from box jellies then you should use vinegar if you make it to the boat or shore alive. Hope that make you right and happy. Google doesnt provide answers or info. The websites they link to do. I've read the various australian official and research websites relating to it. Or do I need to buy a book in hardcover to get new information? I saw the info on vinegar from the same sites. But each site mentions most people would never make it to shore if it was a real box jellyfish. So the subject should be concentrated on avoidance not just the lucky 5% who get the chance to use vinegar.

As for the real subject at hand. Are there really box jellies in thailand waters? If so where are they and are the swimmers aware of this species? For example how many people know this species have eyes and can travel 1m+ per second? OR that they are bluish grey and extremely hard to spot?

Who's obtuse when they are concentrating on a minor aspect of the situation? Im not interested in your self righteous insults. By the number of posts you have I can see you have nothing better to do than to show everyone your supreme wisdom on all matters.

Edited by najman

You can read, watch listen to a whole load of stuff - but if you don't UNDERSTAND it there's no point

Ok, so in the 5-30% chance you dont die from box jellies then you should use vinegar if you make it to the boat or shore alive. Hope that make you right and happy. Google doesnt provide answers or info. The websites they link to do. I've read the various australian official and research websites relating to it. Or do I need to buy a book in hardcover to get new information? I saw the info on vinegar from the same sites. But each site mentions most people would never make it to shore if it was a real box jellyfish. So the subject should be concentrated on avoidance not just the lucky 5% who get the chance to use vinegar.

As for the real subject at hand. Are there really box jellies in thailand waters? If so where are they and are the swimmers aware of this species? For example how many people know this species have eyes and can travel 1m+ per second? OR that they are bluish grey and extremely hard to spot?

Who's obtuse when they are concentrating on a minor aspect of the situation? Im not interested in your self righteous insults. By the number of posts you have I can see you have nothing better to do than to show everyone your supreme wisdom on all matters.

You can read, watch listen to a whole load of stuff - but if you don't UNDERSTAND it there's no point

Ronny was just three feet behind his wife Carina, 45, when the deadly jellyfish attacked.

I never knew jelly fish attacked. :o

Maybe there is potential for a movie.. "revenge of the killer jelly fish"

"When Good Jellyfish Turn Bad" ... I'm shopping it around, TLC, Discovery,

:whistling:

Edited by cobra

I am appalled at the total ignorance of the dangers of box and other jellyfish and the crass indifference shown to the loss of life in many of the posts. Rather than belittle the problem read up on it and take appropriate precautionary actions. Lobby Thai authorities to have first aid kits on popular beaches, preferably with trained surf lifesavers.

THis subject has been broached several times ob=ver the last few years and the lack of action - even cover up - has been suggested.

comments like the above are extremely unhelpful and show a lack of appreciation for the people killed and the risk involved.

A box jelly sting - attack is not really the right word - is very often fatal.

THey are not at all easily visible by swimmers and without simple emergency treatment and basic warning and advice there will be more needless deaths.there are some simple precautions that can mean the difference between life and death.A few years ago, I even asked the company I was working with if they were interested in sponsoring a campaign to educate people about these animals and provide first aid in the form of vinegar on beaches around Thailand - it fell on deaf ears.

Anyone who has lived in Queensland will know that the threat of "stingers" is real and serious.Whether there is a change in population or habitat as not yet been made clear.there was a conference on it in Phuket a while back but as expected virtually no concrete action has resulted.

BTW - I think that the pictures are not all of the box jelly one appears to be a portuguese man-of-war - unpleasant but nowhere near as deadly as the box-jelly or stinger.

Deeral is right on the ball with his comments.

A couple of years ago when I was in Khao Lak, a Scandinavian guy came out of the water, covered in a jellyfish rash. I poured on vinegar, even though the staff at the beach side resto said it shouldn't be used.

Later I was told by a jellyfish expert in Townsville that it was mosty probably a 'sheet jellyfish' that caused the sting. Vinegar was the correct first aid.

If there are box jellyfish around, then that is bad news. Northern Queensland beaches are full of warning, bottles of vinegar every 200 metres and parts of the beach netted off to keep out the stingers.

Box jellyfish have long tentacles, and where they hit you, a large rash is left like a burn. It is a painful way to die I'm told.

The term Irukunji' is aboriginal, and means something like 'painful death'.

Good article and quotes from Aussie expert in that other Phuket newspaper...would not hurt if beaches were provided with Vinegar "boxes" and appropriate multi lingual signage ...problem would be replenishment and vandalism...seemed to me they were always empty on Cairns beaches but then again we had nets which were checked and cleared daily by lifesaving staff....

...control of the seadoo rental cowboys in Phuket would also help reduce waterborne life threatening animals