Non-Immigration "O-A" Visa

Hi this is Albymush, English, retired.

I've read the explanitory note in the appropriate ThaiVisa section regarding this Non-Imm. "O-A" visa, and there is no mention of the funds required (800,000 Baht) being required to be "in Kingdom" ie the funds for the first visa could be in a UK bank.

It is clear that subsequent years require funds to be in Kingdom,

Does anyone know if this is correct?

Agreed, but if you do start with an O-A multiple entry visa there is a special feature which allows you to avoid importing the funds for two years at first. How? Exit and reenter Thailand before the end of your first year's stay on the O-A and then you will automatically get an additional full year's stay with no need to apply at immigration for an annual extension or import funds. Then, after that, you must import assuming you are using the bank account qualifying method.

Just apply for a Non-Immigrant O Visa, then you don't need to show any funds at all.

However, it's fair to assume the OP wants to be on retirement status (and to avoid 90 day visa runs).

I usually assume people asking Visa questions don't have much idea at all about different names and requirements.

I quite enjoyed the Visa run every 90 days, and I didn't have to apply and pay for an exit pass.

Agreed, but if you do start with an O-A multiple entry visa there is a special feature which allows you to avoid importing the funds for two years at first. How? Exit and reenter Thailand before the end of your first year's stay on the O-A and then you will automatically get an additional full year's stay with no need to apply at immigration for an annual extension or import funds. Then, after that, you must import assuming you are using the bank account qualifying method.

You must have a multi entry non immigrant O-A visa for the above usage. Many people do not.

Hi again

there were actually a couple of relevant replies, Thanks lopburi3 and jingthing

Just don't forget that after your last entry on the one-year, non-immigrant O-A (to which Jingthing referred), you will need to obtain a re-entry permit IF you plan on traveling outside the Kingdom. Your original, multi-entry O-A will have expired, and you won't be allowed re-entry UNLESS you get the permit first.

As to whether it is 'normal' to just apply for an extension of stay, consider the benefits of not having to bring money into Thailand for nearly two years, given the exchange rate volatility, and possible tax implications in your home country. You can leave the funds in, for example, a tax-deferred IRA, and take distributions that will keep you in a lower tax bracket (US example).

I would, however, agree that many people do it the other way (extension of stay). I think, though, that if the process were better understood, more people would avail themselves of the non-immigrant O-A visa. It was relatively hassle-free, at least in my case.

-S

I dont get a retirement visa for a couple of reasons

1/ much better that my money is invested

2/ enjoy the 90 days visa run,cheap ciggies/booze/perfume/aftershave/meet people, etc etc

3/ a multi o makes me go back to uk for a renewal and see family/as i wouldnt want to go home otherwise.

So much easy for a multi o if over 50,rather than giving plenty of details to immigration,and far less paperwork

3/ a multi o makes me go back to uk for a renewal and see family/as i wouldnt want to go home otherwise.

Reminds me of a Texas Aggie joke:

Two students at Texas A&M were standing at the urinals in the Men's Room. While fumbling with his zipper, one guy accidentally drops a nickel in the urinal. Immediately, he takes out a quarter, and throws it in after. The other student asks, "Why did you throw that quarter in the urinal?", to which the first student answers, "You didn't think I was going to stick my hand in there for a nickel, did you?"...

-S

Thanks for this, i have never seen it was possible to do this. Is there a charge? and is the new year visa also a multi entry? where does it get stamped, at the border?.

So if my non o runs out 10 August 2011 as long as i return from my last 90 day border run before then, im stamped in for another year

Thanks for this, i have never seen it was possible to do this. Is there a charge? and is the new year visa also a multi entry? where does it get stamped, at the border?.

So if my non o runs out 10 August 2011 as long as i return from my last 90 day border run before then, im stamped in for another year

This is for people on their first year of an ANNUAL O-A "retirement visa" when they have multiple entries (no 90 day visa runs or any visa runs required on such a visa). It is not for other types of O visas, such as those needing to do 90 day visa runs. Cheers. For those with the O-A's there is no charge for the extra years stay. It is not a new visa people get, just an additional year's permission to stay. They can purchase entries at Thai immigration after that, and after this first year's special benefit, there is no more "free" years after that. If it was me doing this, I would feel much more confident entering Thailand at BKK doing this rather than a land border where it seems to me there is greater chance of encountering an uninformed official. Edited by Jingthing

This is for people on their first year of an ANNUAL O-A "retirement visa" when they have multiple entries (no 90 day visa runs or any visa runs required on such a visa). It is not for other types of O visas, such as those needing to do 90 day visa runs. Cheers. For those with the O-A's there is no charge for the extra years stay. It is not a new visa people get, just an additional year's permission to stay. They can purchase entries at Thai immigration after that, and after this first year's special benefit, there is no more "free" years after that. If it was me doing this, I would feel much more confident entering Thailand at BKK doing this rather than a land border where it seems to me there is greater chance of encountering an uninformed official.

OK thanks for that, i miss read it, i just have an O,i have been offered at the end of it, a retirement visa for B18,000, they do the "bank" bit for you, (without saying to much), by one of the main visa companies in Pattaya. Any thoughts, sorry to pick your brain, i am back after a 4 1/2 year period in the UK, so a little out of touch with the way things work.

OK thanks for that, i miss read it, i just have an O,i have been offered at the end of it, a retirement visa for B18,000, they do the "bank" bit for you, (without saying to much), by one of the main visa companies in Pattaya. Any thoughts, sorry to pick your brain, i am back after a 4 1/2 year period in the UK, so a little out of touch with the way things work.

Hmmm. Well what you have been offered is illegal, so we can't discuss such things on this forum. I assume you are over 50 and of course if so, there are legal ways to proceed with retirement extensions as well, but not everyone can qualify financially (bank account method, pension letter method, or a combination of both). If you can qualify financially, it is very possible to do this all at Jomtien, even starting with a 30 day stamp. For the bank account only method, the money must be seasoned in a Thai bank for at least two months before the first extension. Edited by Jingthing