How Far Inland Did The Tsunami Go?

siamsam

Hi fellow vis' members. I haven't been to Phuket post - tsunami. How far inland did it travel? Some landmarks to my mind - Did it go as far as Thai Pan, V.I.P etc in Patong? How about Kamala. Did the wave reach Fantasea, or Kamala Gym on the main through road?

Siamsam

Hi fellow vis' members. I haven't been to Phuket post - tsunami. How far inland did it travel? Some landmarks to my mind - Did it go as far as Thai Pan, V.I.P etc in Patong? How about Kamala. Did the wave reach Fantasea, or Kamala Gym on the main through road?

Siamsam

On Phuket island , depends on the topography of the area but in Patong- a few meters; Kamala about 500 m- which did some minimal damage to Fantasea but of course the low lying plains area behind the beach was fairly wiped... and still is except for busy locals rebuilding small businesses along the beach road.

Actually Patong was about 100 meters, Taipan, VIP not touched. Wavwe came almost half way along Bangla, most of Beach Road was wiped out. Two weeks later 90% of the businesses were open again.....

Come for a holiday, we need the tourists, and don't EVER trust BBC or CNN news again, they are both lying scum.

Come for a holiday, we need the tourists, and don't EVER trust BBC or CNN news again, they are both lying scum.

Ain't that the truth - I was there for the tsunami and have made 3 trips back since, and the places I know and love are nothing like what was shown on the telly. It's called ratings and advertising revenue.

Ain't that the truth - I was there for the tsunami and have made 3 trips back since, and the places I know and love are nothing like what was shown on the telly. It's called ratings and advertising revenue.

I used to trust the BBC for unbiased non-sensational news reporting. Then I watched a BBC news report where they stood in front of the building site at the north end of Patong beach and claimed it was a row of shops that had been destroyed by the tsunami. Blatant sensationlist lying.

Hear hear to the previous posters. I used to drive past Kalim (on my way to Patong) in the days following the big T. And all of the major TV networks (BBC incl.) had set up their cams facing the rubble. It looked like Beirut (on a bad day). They stayed in the SAME spot for weeks. Probably paid the locals not to clean up the place.

Anyway, the wave went about 50 m past Fantasea in Kamala. The businesses here have intensified the rebuilding in the past weeks to get ready for the next season.

Siamsam

On Phuket island , depends on the topography of the area but in Patong- a few meters; Kamala about 500 m- which did some minimal damage to Fantasea but of course the low lying plains area behind the beach was fairly wiped... and still is except for busy locals rebuilding small businesses along the beach road.

Apology- Just re-read my post (above) and I meant to say Patong: a few HUNDRED metres :o

I remember on new years eve.. i was at a huge party at a bar in patong and then i heard cnn was showing clips, " everyone is totally devastated here in patong..the thai people are in a HUGE stage of mournining and are not undergoing any festivities.."etc, i was at a bar with 90% thai people and it was a huge party. i hate sensationalist news outlets..

Oh yes, journalism at its best. :D

I tuned to CNN after the juice came back, in only 3 days after the 26th. (My hat off to the electric company) and here was this broad from CNN amongts the rubble of what used to be Nang Thoung beach here in Khao Lak, (yes it was bad and still is) interviewing survivors etc. Fine. But what took the cake was her final sentence: This is XXXXX (I forget her name) reporting from Phuket, Thailand. :D ????

This dumb bitch didn't even know where she actually was. :o

Greets, the ol Capt.