Dukes

millwall_fan

I had Thanksgiving there last night and it was really great. I didn't have a reservation and they were fully booked but still squeezed me and my girl in. The owner was really friendly and welcoming and he not only checked in a few times but went into the kitchen to taste something and reported back. The whole staff was more than pleasant giving us real good service on this busiest of nights. On previous visits I've had the tuna sandwich, steak (that's beef for all you non-Americans), pork chop and others, always good, filling and satisfying.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, I'd easily rate it as one of the best mid-range priced restaurants in Thailand.

The problem I have with that statement JD is that you do not provide any context at all.

Please list out another five equivalent 'mid-range priced restaurants' from around the Kingdom in order to quantify your claim...

Miguel's and The Duke's are my top 2 fave restaurants in Chiang Mai.

It doesn't bother me that some people don't care for it ... (and yes the lasagna there is awesome!)

Miguels and The Dukes are on my top 5 list as well. :) They are both over-run with missionaries and their flocks of kids but I don't let it bother me.

Nah, I'd easily rate it as one of the best mid-range priced restaurants in Thailand.

The problem I have with that statement JD is that you do not provide any context at all.

Please list out another five equivalent 'mid-range priced restaurants' from around the Kingdom in order to quantify your claim...

This thread has made it clear that peoples tastes vary wildly so just take peoples comments as "whats best for them"

This thread has made it clear that peoples tastes vary wildly so just take peoples comments as "whats best for them"

You're right. Let's ignore rational, considered argument and just accept questionable, incredible blanket statements.

Hang on...that's exactly how I wasted three evenings of my family's lives in that place....

You're right. Let's ignore rational, considered argument and just accept questionable, incredible blanket statements.

Hang on...that's exactly how I wasted three evenings of my family's lives in that place....

Do you want to travel thailand taking non-biased surveys of every restaurant for the next 10 years so that we can make conclusive statements or is it that you like to argue every point to give you something to do?

Miguel's and The Duke's are my top 2 fave restaurants in Chiang Mai.

It doesn't bother me that some people don't care for it ... (and yes the lasagna there is awesome!)

Miguels and The Dukes are on my top 5 list as well. :) They are both over-run with missionaries and their flocks of kids but I don't let it bother me.

I rarely eat in ... so the clientele doesn't affect me.

As for 5 other restaurants ---- phhhht

Great American Rib in Pattaya (but they do sometimes put too much salt in the food)

Coyote (in Silom not in Patong)

PanPan in Pattaya (not BKK) (no other 4 cheese pizza has touched theirs in 8 years of living here)

Bruno's (a little more expensive than the others I am listing)

and strangely --- the old Sea Hag in Patong (strange because of the mixed menu --- and that I haven't eaten there after the tsunami

I lived in HH for 7 months .. never ate a good meal at a western place ....

Lived in Kamala for a year ..... rarely ate western in Phuket

Lived in BKK for 6 years and we ate all over .... and in Chiang Mai for a year ....

Been to Duke's regularly. Have had a bad meal....have had many more very good ones. Have had bad service but more often the folks do just fine. The place is clean.

Have seen the owner concerned and replace meals...have seen him speaking kindly to many in his restauraunt. Most patrons do show respect to others. Perhaps some needed a bit of help with their demeanor, however, none so much as the folks with their nose held so high that they risk drowning on a rainy night.

Glad that Duke's is here and happy to support them.

M/N/S

Do you want to travel thailand taking non-biased surveys of every restaurant for the next 10 years so that we can make conclusive statements or is it that you like to argue every point to give you something to do?

I agreed with you mate. What's your point?

Great American Rib in Pattaya (but they do sometimes put too much salt in the food)

PanPan in Pattaya (not BKK) (no other 4 cheese pizza has touched theirs in 8 years of living here)

and strangely --- the old Sea Hag in Patong (strange because of the mixed menu --- and that I haven't eaten there after the tsunami

Lived in BKK for 6 years and we ate all over .... and in Chiang Mai for a year ....

Fair play. I know Pan Pan well, and have to say that the service I experienced there (over ten years ago) was way better than I've ever had at Ds.

Bruno's is certainly not in the same bracket though, price or food... GARibs I've not tried...funny location on Thepprasit Road.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond JD. Believe it or not, I'm not the bad guy here...

Fair play. I know Pan Pan well, and have to say that the service I experienced there (over ten years ago) was way better than I've ever had at Ds.

Bruno's is certainly not in the same bracket though, price or food... GARibs I've not tried...funny location on Thepprasit Road.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond JD. Believe it or not, I'm not the bad guy here...

actually --- with this statement (that implies that people with a different opinion than you have must then justify their opinion .. you are the bad guy :)

actually --- with this statement (that implies that people with a different opinion than you have must then justify their opinion .. you are the bad guy :)

No no - you misread. I'm implying that everyone should justify their opinion, not merely those with a different opinion to me.

Lasagne = shocking

I have only been the Dukes (river) once as I don't live in CM. I had the American style lasagna. It was the best lasagna I've had in Thailand (which doesn't take much doing).

I do not understand how anyone could compare the Duke's unfavorably to other Western restaurants in Thailand.

I don't claim to have eaten in many western restaurants in Thailand, however I can categorically claim that Dukes does not get anywhere near Dicey O'Reilleys in Pattaya or the restaurant at Black Mountain Golf Course in Hua Hin.

I appreciate I'm in the minority here, but we should be careful raising it from 'great in CM' to 'great in Thailand'.

How did we get from comparing the Duke's to all Western restaurants in Thailand to your two favorites? :whistling:

How did we get from comparing the Duke's to all Western restaurants in Thailand to your two favorites? :whistling:

I do not understand how anyone could compare the Duke's unfavorably to other Western restaurants in Thailand.

I'm unsure of your motives but if you re-read your original statement above I think you'll find that my comparison with two other western restaurants in Thailand sits well within your defined boundaries of 'other western restaurants in Thailand'.

No no - you misread. I'm implying that everyone should justify their opinion, not merely those with a different opinion to me.

Doesn't matter .. your opinion sucks and mine is right laugh.gif

So, the conclusion is that Dukes is a very good, value for money, well established restaurant, that can't please all of the people all of the time.

Or...it's not very good, it's poor value for money, it's over-rated and pleases the easily pleased all the time. Depending on opinion...

So, the conclusion is that Dukes is a very good, value for money, well established restaurant, that can't please all of the people all of the time.

Or...it's not very good, it's poor value for money, it's over-rated and pleases the easily pleased all the time. Depending on opinion...

Yeppers ... you aint the bad guy here .......

You're right... Let's go back to the beginning...

I've been to Dukes three times. It has been perfect every time. The Ribs are to die for, but the Lasagne is really the reason to go there. Nothing better this side of Italy.

As to the service, outstanding. I completely echo everything that the OP said and would recommend anybody new to Chiang Mai to go there at every opportunity.

Hopefully I'll be in the gang now...

You're right... Let's go back to the beginning...

I've been to Dukes three times. It has been perfect every time. The Ribs are to die for, but the Lasagne is really the reason to go there. Nothing better this side of Italy.

As to the service, outstanding. I completely echo everything that the OP said and would recommend anybody new to Chiang Mai to go there at every opportunity.

Hopefully I'll be in the gang now...

Like I said ....

You are missing the point. the tenor of your posts suggest that nobody else has an opinion that can possibly be valid. (over-rated --- the people who like it are easily pleased all the time.) I don't see anybody suggesting that you aren't entitled to your opinion .. I do however, see you suggesting that if people hold an opinion contrary to yours, that they are wrong.

I mean really .... for all I know you are some guy with a personal axe to grind against the place (this is an anonymous -- relatively --- forum). Does that bother me? No. Do I think people will avoid the place because there is a dissenting opinion? No. The CNX crowd actually tends to be hard to please when it comes to food and almost everyone here likes The Dukes.

Like I said ....

You are missing the point. the tenor of your posts suggest that nobody else has an opinion that can possibly be valid. (over-rated --- the people who like it are easily pleased all the time.) I don't see anybody suggesting that you aren't entitled to your opinion .. I do however, see you suggesting that if people hold an opinion contrary to yours, that they are wrong.

I mean really .... for all I know you are some guy with a personal axe to grind against the place (this is an anonymous -- relatively --- forum). Does that bother me? No. Do I think people will avoid the place because there is a dissenting opinion? No. The CNX crowd actually tends to be hard to please when it comes to food and almost everyone here likes The Dukes.

But that JD simply mirrors my argument...

How can one side of this argument conclude that:-

'Dukes is a very good, value for money, well established restaurant' based on the posts in this thread?

I have absolutely no more an axe to grind than perhaps you are a shareholder. Irrespective of how you choose to interpret the tenor of my posts, I do not at all believe that any opinion other than mine is invalid, in fact I welcome well thought out arguments. Unfortunately the conclusion drawn above does not fit in that category.

point of order --- I think you mean "the consensus is" ;)

Consensus is indeed a much better term...

So, the connclusion consensus is that Dukes is a very good, value for money, well established restaurant, that can't please all of the people all of the time.

point of order --- I think you mean "the consensus is" ;)

Consensus is indeed a much better term...

Consensus it is then.

Edited by uptheos

Consensus it is then.

No doubt at all that Dukes wins by consensus. Ironically, I made my money and retired here in my mid-30s by taking on public consensus!

It's been fun fellas, even if I have had a bit of a keyboard ass-kicking tonight.

Keep posting the recommendations, as I'll try them all even if I reserve the right to disagree. Best of luck to Dukes (though they don't seem to need it), they are undoubtedly a CM institution even if they don't cater to all tastes.

OOB

Consensus it is then.

No doubt at all that Dukes wins by consensus. Ironically, I made my money and retired here in my mid-30s by taking on public consensus!

It's been fun fellas, even if I have had a bit of a keyboard ass-kicking tonight.

Keep posting the recommendations, as I'll try them all even if I reserve the right to disagree. Best of luck to Dukes (though they don't seem to need it), they are undoubtedly a CM institution even if they don't cater to all tastes.

OOB

lol :whistling:

Consensus it is then.

OOB

Don't they do green smileys?

Come out to Highlands pal, I'll sign you in as a guest and talk you through it over 18 holes. I'll bring my passport if it makes you feel better....

Consensus it is then.

OOB

Don't they do green smileys?

Come out to Highlands pal, I'll sign you in as a guest and talk you through it over 18 holes. I'll bring my passport if it makes you feel better....

That sounds great -- thank you