Bangkok Police To Launch Traffic Ticket Machines

webfact

Police to launch traffic ticket machines

By The Nation

The official use of online traffic ticket machines will be announced on Monday, police spokesman Maj-General Prawut Thawornsiri said yesterday.

The machines have been set up in collaboration with the Office of Information Technology and Communication, traffic police and Bangkok Metropolitan Administration.

Initially 100 of these machines were used in areas that have bad traffic jams and lots of traffic violations.

Prawut said these devices can check licence numbers, access records of previous violations and print tickets for motorists to pay their fines at police stations. Police are also planning to open more channels for motorists to pay their fines, such as 7-Eleven convenience stores and post offices.

The use of these machines can help cut down on motorists paying bribes, and also help the police trace stolen vehicles and catch criminals.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-25

That of course means that no doubt new instant on the spot traffic violations will be dreamt up to supplement incomes.

Breathing while driving. Wrong colour car for that day. Neck-tie not knotted correctly, indeed the opportunities for creative thinking are boundless.

Edited by siampolee

This is interesting because it show they are finally preparing to use a driver database. Which means things like the process of registering cars may improve from the circus that it is, and also may be the beginning of tracking driver records. Which may lead to habitual offenders learning a thing or two about driving to avoid more tickets or losing their license, or having to pay higher insurance.

this is of course theoretical. As it is very unusual to see tickets for moving violations other than driving in the right hand lane.

I am curious as to what kind of infractions these machines will be ticketing for.

That of course means that no doubt new instant on the spot traffic violations will be dreamt up to supplement incomes.

Breathing while driving. Wrong colour car for that day. Neck-tie not knotted correctly, indeed the opportunities for creative thinking are boundless.

We are talking about a machine.

Will they tell motorbikes to stay left so that cars and buses can pull out on them - i was at On nut on Thursday last - a policeman pulled over a motorbike for only being 25 cm from the gutter(sidewalk) - i saw him take a bribe - when the motorbike pulled out a bus hit him up the rear end - the problem with Thailand is the law isnt made and then adhered to - its made up and twisted so that Thais can opportunistically make money from it - have to say - much as I dont want to live in UK - i dont see anything like the amount of corruption in Thailand going on in England. I believe it cant be changed - corruption is engrained into the Thai persona.

Plan to Launch More Traffic Ticket Machines Put On Hold

By The Poster

Further launching of traffic Ticket Machines into busy intersections of Thai traffic has been postponed. Unnamed sources have been quoted as saying that the launching of the initial 100 traffic ticket machines have caused a considerable amount of damage and injury at busy intersections. The method of launching the machines, propelled by the Ballista seen below; set up in Lumpini Park, reportedly is not what the manufacturers had in mind.

P06-081004-032.jpg

Initially 100 of these machines were used in areas that have bad traffic jams and lots of traffic violations, but the plans were put on an immediate freeze when the machines came crashing down on motorists and pedestrians alike. In one reported case, one of the machines overshot traffic entirely and landed in the backyard garden of one Mr. Samponwatanaso weetoopichep siphetha lannamah looree, or Mr. Lee, as he prefers to be called. "One moment, I was tending to my beets in my garden, and the next moment this huge machine crashes down and destroys my prize beets!" Authorities are still investigating the damaged beets and expect a forensic report on whether not not the beets were damaged as a direct cause of the machine crashing down, or if they were already in a state of damage prior to the incident.

Reportedly, the initial plan was for the devices to check license numbers, access records of previous violations and print tickets for motorists to pay their fines at police stations. Reports and sources are quite unsure at the time of this report as to how the instructions got confused, and the machines literally got launched, rather than installed at their targeted location. One source, who asked that their identity remain anonymous, stated, "How I know to instaw? They not speak me to instaw. They speak me to laun at intersektun, so I laun dem! What big prom pen?"

The immediate plan to launch machines at area 7-Eleven convenience stores and post offices was also put on hold, as these outlets have been calling in since the incident, repeatedly insisting that they emphatically do not want traffic ticket machines launched at their locations.

The authorities have countered in defense that several stolen vehicles were located among the vehicles that had been smashed by some of the launched machines.

A meeting will be held in April of 2012 to decide on whether or not to organize an investigation into the practicality of using a ballista to launch any further traffic ticket machines.No further reports were provided as to the outcome of Mr.Lee's smashed beets.

Edited by cup-O-coffee

Just to get serious for a moment (sorry peoples), these machines are a good idea to help reduce corruption. One of the reasons people currently pay a bribe to avoid a fine is the effort it takes to go to a police station to actually pay it.

It won't *stop* the BIB collecting their tea money, but it gives more of an option for honest people to avoid it, and more chance to catch out those paying a bribe since cash shouldn't be changing hands when the ticket is issued.

Just to get serious for a moment (sorry peoples), these machines are a good idea to help reduce corruption. One of the reasons people currently pay a bribe to avoid a fine is the effort it takes to go to a police station to actually pay it.

It won't *stop* the BIB collecting their tea money, but it gives more of an option for honest people to avoid it, and more chance to catch out those paying a bribe since cash shouldn't be changing hands when the ticket is issued.

from reading the article I think people still have to go to the police station to pay the fine, and the police are trying to find other places to also pay fines.

will they still take your licence? so you go to 7/11 to pay and then have to go back and find the police man to collect your licence?

Plan to Launch More Traffic Ticket Machines Put On Hold

By The Poster

Further launching of traffic Ticket Machines into busy intersections of Thai traffic has been postponed. Unnamed sources have been quoted as saying that the launching of the initial 100 traffic ticket machines have caused a considerable amount of damage and injury at busy intersections. The method of launching the machines, propelled by the Ballista seen below; set up in Lumpini Park, reportedly is not what the manufacturers had in mind.

P06-081004-032.jpg

Initially 100 of these machines were used in areas that have bad traffic jams and lots of traffic violations, but the plans were put on an immediate freeze when the machines came crashing down on motorists and pedestrians alike. In one reported case, one of the machines overshot traffic entirely and landed in the backyard garden of one Mr. Samponwatanaso weetoopichep siphetha lannamah looree, or Mr. Lee, as he prefers to be called. "One moment, I was tending to my beets in my garden, and the next moment this huge machine crashes down and destroys my prize beets!" Authorities are still investigating the damaged beets and expect a forensic report on whether not not the beets were damaged as a direct cause of the machine crashing down, or if they were already in a state of damage prior to the incident.

Reportedly, the initial plan was for the devices to check license numbers, access records of previous violations and print tickets for motorists to pay their fines at police stations. Reports and sources are quite unsure at the time of this report as to how the instructions got confused, and the machines literally got launched, rather than installed at their targeted location. One source, who asked that their identity remain anonymous, stated, "How I know to instaw? They not speak me to instaw. They speak me to laun at intersektun, so I laun dem! What big prom pen?"

The immediate plan to launch machines at area 7-Eleven convenience stores and post offices was also put on hold, as these outlets have been calling in since the incident, repeatedly insisting that they emphatically do not want traffic ticket machines launched at their locations.

The authorities have countered in defense that several stolen vehicles were located among the vehicles that had been smashed by some of the launched machines.

A meeting will be held in April of 2012 to decide on whether or not to organize an investigation into the practicality of using a ballista to launch any further traffic ticket machines.No further reports were provided as to the outcome of Mr.Lee's smashed beets.

Well there is no arguing with the logic of your post.

How ever

Do you have documentation to back it up or is it just some thing you copied out of the Nation?B)

Sorry Nation it is just that you leave your self so open to those kind of judgment's.:partytime2::guitar::cheesy::burp:

Edited by jayjay0

Unfortunately the folks issuing the tickets aren't always honest. The honest guy asking for an official ticket and paying by the machines will feel better, but his traffic violation record will just keep growing despite the tickets being issued for nonsense reasons.

For sure this is a good thing. But I am sure you will still have the option of paying, say 500B for speeding, or 250B on the spot. I doubt that will change for some time.

But at least they are trying! I've seen lots of new initiatives here lately. Not all will be successful, but at least they are trying.

Disagree. I believe it only redirects the cash flow from the policemen over to the Western corporate insurance companies now expanding operations in Thailand. In the US, they, along with Wall Street, OWN the US Legislative Branch and write legislation for the congressmen/ladies to push and sign into law. Next up will be speed cameras, auto ticketing... and more cashflow leaving wallets [insurance premiums] before the citizenry ever turn keys to their cars & bikes.

I prefer the efficiency of the back-handed Baht to the local gendarme from time-to-time. Most of the world operates this way, their salaries take it into account, and to the extent it is implemented, it can be considered "The System." For non-injury traffic offenses, I'd consider it superior to the West's corruption.

Will the machines have slots to pay the bribe money directly? or is that part still handled by a real "person" :whistling:

officer_joe.JPG

Since the OP does not go in to great detail, we must use the status quo to infer that the

machines more than likely will require you to insert Baht Bills until a "Kahk Kun Khap"

receipt issues forth from the belly of the machine, just below the belt buckle, centered.

Note that the place to insert the baht bills are located on both the left hand and right hand sides,

right near where the pockets would be.

People who do not pay the exact amount, and walk away before the receipt is issued get

"Silly String" sprayed all over their face, and a "warning...warning" played loudly, the same as

the robot from Lost In Space.

But seriously...

A database? Are you suggesting that there is a database? Does it contain all the people who are not registered owners of the vehicles they are operating? Or that they do not have driver's licenses? Or that they are under the legal age to operate a vehicle on public roads? Or that they do not have ID cards? Or that most foreigners operate rentals without proper licensing and documentation? Or that there is no license plate on the vehicle? Or that the license plate is damaged and obscured beyond alpha-numeric recognition? Or that the license plate does not have current tabs? Or...?

How will the information of an illegal act be picked up by, or transmitted as data into these machines? Will the data that is entered into these machines be by human beings or by photo recognition software? If by humans, therein lies the problem. If by photo recognition, then how does a database recognize something that it has no record of?

The article does not explain the details and peculiarities of these things, and I am very curious to know how this will function at, liberally speaking, even a 45% accuracy level.

I would sincerely like to know how this system works from beginning to end; where the process is inanimate, and animate, and in what sequence.

Edited by cup-O-coffee

Disagree. I believe it only redirects the cash flow from the policemen over to the Western corporate insurance companies now expanding operations in Thailand. In the US, they, along with Wall Street, OWN the US Legislative Branch and write legislation for the congressmen/ladies to push and sign into law. Next up will be speed cameras, auto ticketing... and more cashflow leaving wallets [insurance premiums] before the citizenry ever turn keys to their cars & bikes.

I prefer the efficiency of the back-handed Baht to the local gendarme from time-to-time. Most of the world operates this way, their salaries take it into account, and to the extent it is implemented, it can be considered "The System." For non-injury traffic offenses, I'd consider it superior to the West's corruption.

Most of the 3rd world operates that way. Not first world countries. It keeps the baddies off the road. Get caught drunk driving, and you are in big trouble back home. Which is great, IMHO. Otherwise, like here now, people could care less if they run red lights, turn illegally, park illegally, speed, drink and drive, etc....no enforcement and no tracking history. Just a back-handed Baht and you are off....

Surely you are joking. The western countries have a Legislative branch that is free from wall street influence. I f you don't believe me ask them. The legislative branch is trying to curb there outrageous bonus system pass laws that stop them from further damaging the country.

Unfortunately they have to fight against people such as you who wish to let the situation stay the same. So far Thailand has been able to avoid as much damage as the western world. Let us hope are legislative branch can learn from the western worlds mistakes. I know learn from, is pushing it.

Not sure what you are talking about here perhaps you could elaborate on this part of your statement

["I prefer the efficiency of the back-handed Baht to the local gendarme from time-to-time"]

How does that work with the thousands of road deaths here every year?

You have to applaud ANY kind of forward movement in Thailand on anything. Of course, "database" can mean anything, its hard to believe that any great percentage of cars will be in it as the whole second hand market is "cloudy" about documentaion.

And of course just because you have a fine does not mean you will pay it.

But for me, this simply highlights Thailands problem (no, only one!).

Its all about, "look at us", "We have technology, we are modern".......Its the Emperors New Clothes attitude.

But the police are still corrupt (but its ok, whats a few 100 baht? style corrupt) and no one cares, when traffic law is not maintained or enforced and vehicles that are not "roadworthy" or "safe" are not stopped why invest in some shiny new clothes?

Thailand seems to be a top down country. Everything bad that people see those at the top doing, they do.

But a shiny new machine, a bigger airport, a newer deep sea port, a faster rail link will never cover over the fact, that really, Thailand is naked.

Great, they have even more possibilities to blackmail motorists for non existent offenses. Maybe the useless department can make a machine in which citizens can check former wrongdoings from Police and justice department employees. I think we all will be stunned about the number of criminals that are on the job. You can even become a judge nowadays.

Just to get serious for a moment (sorry peoples), these machines are a good idea to help reduce corruption.

Agreed. It will also findout those who don't actually have a license, valid road tax etc..!!

However, if paying the "official" ticket price given by the BiB's then it's going to be more expensive than one of those "special" payments out the driver side window..!!

Swings & Roundabouts..!!

Unfortunately the folks issuing the tickets aren't always honest. The honest guy asking for an official ticket and paying by the machines will feel better, but his traffic violation record will just keep growing despite the tickets being issued for nonsense reasons.

the reason why people prefer to pay the bribes is because they're cheaper than the official fine. not having to go to the police station is merely a sweetener on top of that.

from reading the article I think people still have to go to the police station to pay the fine, and the police are trying to find other places to also pay fines.

will they still take your license? so you go to 7/11 to pay and then have to go back and find the police man to collect your license?

If they stop taking your license that would be a big improvement. But I also think the taking of the license definitely motivates prompt payment of an issed ticket, and car window negotiations to prevent issue of the ticket. Maybe if it's paid at 7-11 you can either choose to take the paid receipt and go to some central police station location and pickup your license; or pay a extra admin/mailing fee when paying the fine at 7-11 and the police will mail you the license. Time will tell but my guess is the machines will just automate the issue of tickets you'll still have to go to police station XYZ to pay the fine and pick up your license.

Will the machines have slots to pay the bribe money directly? or is that part still handled by a real "person" :whistling:

officer_joe.JPG

Since the OP does not go in to great detail, we must use the status quo to infer that the

machines more than likely will require you to insert Baht Bills until a "Kahk Kun Khap"

receipt issues forth from the belly of the machine, just below the belt buckle, centered.

Note that the place to insert the baht bills are located on both the left hand and right hand sides,

right near where the pockets would be.

People who do not pay the exact amount, and walk away before the receipt is issued get

"Silly String" sprayed all over their face, and a "warning...warning" played loudly, the same as

the robot from Lost In Space.

But seriously...

A database? Are you suggesting that there is a database? Does it contain all the people who are not registered owners of the vehicles they are operating? Or that they do not have driver's licenses? Or that they are under the legal age to operate a vehicle on public roads? Or that they do not have ID cards? Or that most foreigners operate rentals without proper licensing and documentation? Or that there is no license plate on the vehicle? Or that the license plate is damaged and obscured beyond alpha-numeric recognition? Or that the license plate does not have current tabs? Or...?

How will the information of an illegal act be picked up by, or transmitted as data into these machines? Will the data that is entered into these machines be by human beings or by photo recognition software? If by humans, therein lies the problem. If by photo recognition, then how does a database recognize something that it has no record of?

The article does not explain the details and peculiarities of these things, and I am very curious to know how this will function at, liberally speaking, even a 45% accuracy level.

I would sincerely like to know how this system works from beginning to end; where the process is inanimate, and animate, and in what sequence.

Valid points, but a step in the right direction.

Unlike BBRADSBY, I think the US system is reasonable. No violations, no fines = low cost insurance. Multiple violations = high insurance premiums.

The attempt alone says volumes about the Thai authorities trying to 'modernize' and I, for one do not like to pay Policemen bribes when no one has broken any law.

Plus, the process of using the machines will alert authorities to just how much the current system is skewed.

One question which 'Police Force' will be responsible..?? The boys in brown (National Police) or the Boys in Kakhi (Municipal Police)..?? I still see folks in Kakhi handing out parking tickets and collecting fees. Forty plus years ago, the Men in Kakhi worked the towns and the boys in Brown handled only the Highways.

the cops won't like it if the money goes into the machine instead of their pockets ;-)

Police already get a percentage of the "official" fines. They'll just get more of that percentage - but it won't cover the kuay teow.

It also won't stop the brown bombers who set up a roadblock on the Chok Chai - Ubon highway some where before Narng Rong at night and flag over every car because they have a 'dry throat'

Edited by writeshack

I don't understand the set-up. But regardless of how it's implemented, VIP's and fellow police officers will be exempt.

When I hear about the high incidence of farang being scammed while driving in and around Bkk, it offers yet another reason for me to appreciate residing far away from Bkk. ticketing for 'moving violations' here in Chiang Rai is rare indeed. Of course the other side of the coin is, 99% of locals drive terribly - but that's probably par for the course throughout - whether there are embezzling ticketers or not.