Living Boundary Fence.

Nawtier

Anybody have any ideas for specific plants and photos or examples of recommended plants for a boundary fence that will provide the following qualities.

Cannot be too tall as wish to retain mountain views, but want to hide immediate buildings nextdoor, about 3m max I would think.

Should not be too wide so as to take up a lot of space and/or protude over neighbours side to much if any at all.

Needs to be as solid and leafy as possible so as not to be able to see through it very easily.

Quick growing.

Attractive and with flowers would be nice, but not essential.

Stand alone, no support fence available as area is 8 rai.

I was thinking bamboo, but to much leaf litter that will go into neighbours and it is rice land and also to tall, could be possible though if a short variety available and deal with the litter.

Any help appreciated.

There were some recent discussions on this forum around similar questions. You might check those for suggestions: "Growing a hedge around my property" and "Screens" .

My suggestion of bananas may apply to your situation. There are many other possibilities. Try to plant back from the property line as far as possible to avoid shading of your neighbors rice along that edge, and to avoid neighbor conflict. Rice is income and survival.

Edited by drtreelove

Thats why I do not think bamboo will suit because of the loss of leaves and the leaf little layer it brings, also how tall it is, unless you can get shorter versions and it spreads. I have seen some boundaries with a certain bamboo that look very nice and are heavily maintained....but still the litter.

I wish to place it just inside our boundary, not well inside as I do not want land wasted....over 8 rai that is significant and we also have rice.

Thats why I do not think bamboo will suit because of the loss of leaves and the leaf little layer it brings, also how tall it is, unless you can get shorter versions and it spreads. I have seen some boundaries with a certain bamboo that look very nice and are heavily maintained....but still the litter.

I wish to place it just inside our boundary, not well inside as I do not want land wasted....over 8 rai that is significant and we also have rice.

Check out the bamboo 'selector' on: http://mrbamboo.com/ Species availability will be an issue, but you can ask Greg (Mr Bamboo), as he knows Thailand and what grows here.

Maybe with a bit of fertiliser -try galang galang we have it on one boundary. Takes about 2yrs to get to any height and you can eat it. May sound unlikely but also lemon grass, which grows quickly and can be trained. There are many ornamental bamboos which don't have the litter problem, but they tend to like cooler climates. If you live near Kaempang Phet, go and see the research station. They have 200 banana varieties, some not very tall.

Thinking about it, you can mix different trees.

For the short term, bamboos, fast growing conifers and banana trees can provide an immediate solution to your privacy problem. Hemp can fit the bill too :)

And at the same time you can plant slow growing trees for the long term. IMO if you want real privacy without any other kind of fence, with the minimum of space "wasted" conifers are the best choice.