Pattaya Healthcare For Thais

prefabs

I was asked last week , by a very respectable Thai friend, to drive a young lady to the Pattaya International hospital as she needed to check on something. I never asked what was wrong, she spoke very basic English. She came back about 30 minutes later and she told my friend she needed 15000 baht for Laser Treatment. She never asked me for money, I don't really know her. This time I did ask and was told it was a personal woman's thing. Fair enough. Later on, the young lady became very distressed and she apparently had a "growth" on her backside, and the hospital doctor had said that the only cure was laser treatment. Of course, she had no money and thought she was dying. A little more conversation and it sounded like she had a wart which she was sure would kill her, as per the doctor's kind words. Incredibly, the 2 ladies retired to a bedroom and took a mobile phone picture of said growth, sure looked like a wart on her bum to me. I then drove the pair of them to the pharmacy across from Tesco Express near Numchai. I think it is called Fascino. The pharmacist gave her some wart treatment and she went home. The box was opened and the instruction said that on no account could this be used near anogenital areas (in English), so I advised her to return it, complete with packagng and instructions. Guess what? They refused to take it back as the box had been opened. How else can one read instructions?

I guess my beef is that the doctor at hospital gave her no help or advice(despite a 600baht consulting fee) by telling her the only cure was laser treatment. Then the other thing is that a trained pharmacist dispensed wrong medicine and refused to admit that they were wrong, even though some damage may have occurred. No idea if this was because of loss of face or loss of revenue. Was only about 200 baht, I think.

She then went to the local clinc and consultation, medicine fees etc, 450 baht and is dealing with her "little problem" on her own, apparently with some success already. Don't ask me how I know.

Fascino posts clear signs that they don't offer any refunds. So that's fair, that's their policy, and they let people know about it before purchases. However, I have found over the years there is never a problem to open unsealed medication packages to read instructions IN the pharmacy before purchase. I am sure Fascino would have allowed that as well.

Edited by Jingthing

I have no idea what it is but you might want to advise her to see a good dermatologist for a better advise and probably ask her/him if it is possible to use Aldar Cream.

The consultation fee should not bee that bad and you can always buy medication at chemist.

I did not advise anyone to use this cream.

Did she tell the pharmacist the wart was on her bum?

Thats what I was wondering. Thai ladies like to hide things like that and may well of said the wart was elsewhere to avoid loss of face.

Actually, the photograph on the mobile phone was shown to the pharmacist. Before she went in, I advised that she had to tell the truth. Mind you, her nether regions had already been on display at Pattaya International a couple of hours earlier, so she wasn't THAT shy

• 2 weeks later...

Its not only the Pattaya International you have to be careful of.

The Bangkok Pattaya Hospital is trying to charge me 2500 baht for medication that UK pharmacies sell to the National Health Service for 478 Baht !!!!!!

The medication lasts 2.5 days, so 30000 baht a month as opposed to real price of 5700 Baht in UK

Its cheaper to fly home once every three months where its free !

Total rip merchants especially as a generic is produced in Thailand which is probably even cheaper.

Anyone have details of a pharmacy who can speak English in Pattaya please let me know, not facino as they have just told me no can dooo. I need one that can use their brain.

See my post http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/418656-fentanyl-or-equivalent-strength-meds/page__gopid__4074695 if your interested in specifics