Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) Joins Fight To Save Age-Old Rain Trees

webfact

ENVIRONMENT

BMA joins fight to save age-old rain trees

By The Nation

med_gallery_327_1086_15354.jpg

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) is trying to save more than 10 rain trees on a privately owned plot in the heart of the capital.

The environment-protection group, Big Trees Project, has been rallying tirelessly against the move to uproot trees, some of them around 100 years old, at the Sukhumvit Soi 31 plot to make way for a business project. After hearing loud complaints from the network, Bangkok Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra decided to step in.

"We will try to negotiate with the landlord," BMA spokesman Jate Sopitpongsatorn said yesterday.

The plot reportedly belongs to Prasarn Bhiraj Buri, CEO of the Bangkok International Trade and Exhibition Centre. Jate said that Prasarn would be asked to donate the trees so they can be replanted in a public park.

"We will cover the cost," he said, adding that if the landlord did not agree to donate the trees then BMA would look into the possibility of buying them because the Big Tree Project was ready to provide financial support.

The project has more than 2,600 members. One of its members, Thammasat University lecturer Oraya Sutabutr, said a representative of the landlord had contacted her group and offered to show them the blueprint for the construction.

"But when we first contacted the landlord, we were told the trees had already been sold to be replanted on another privatelyowned plot," she said, adding that her group preferred to see the trees planted on public land.

"We also want to push for the legislation of the Big Tree Protection Act," she said.

Thailand Environment Network president Surapon Duangkhae said the Constitution gave people the right to participate in the conservation and protection of the environment.

"Therefore, no one will be entirely free to cut big trees on his or her land," Surapon said. "People who feel the trees should stay, can lodge a complaint with the authorities."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-26

I thought all trees were rain trees.

<"We will cover the cost," he said, adding that if the landlord did not agree to donate the trees then BMA would look into the possibility of buying them because the Big Tree Project was ready to provide financial support.">

After the owner reads this, any chance of him giving the trees away is 0!!!!!! The BMA seem to be great negotiators. :lol:

Quote:

Thailand Environment Network president Surapon Duangkhae said the Constitution gave people the right to participate in the conservation and protection of the environment.

"Therefore, no one will be entirely free to cut big trees on his or her land," Surapon said. "People who feel the trees should stay, can lodge a complaint with the authorities."

Unquote

That sounds ridiculous - it's nonsense to pretend outsiders should be able to interfere in a personal decision.

Anyway, I know Prasarn and he's a very Conservation-aware chap, both his Parents were serious nature lovers (hence of course they have such old and beautiful trees on their land); his mother founded the "Friends of Khao Yai" Group many years ago and fought for years to stop construction of the road into that Park from the Nakhon Nayok side. Sadly that road was eventually built, not only did that cut the Park in two and disrupting animal movements but it resulted in the felling of hundreds of large - and valuable, the wood simply disappeared - trees; a swathe much wider than necessary for the construction of the road was cut through irreplaceable Rain forest.

Where were Khun Surapon, Khun Oraya and their pals when that was happening?

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

They will cut the tree(s) anyway, just a mater of time.

Trees do not generate money and as it is all about money, the tree(s) has / have to go.

As Lucebert (Dutch poet) ones said "All things of value are defenceless"

Nice quote.

Unfortunately today in Thailand concrete is more important than nature; the trees will go and the area will be the poorer for their loss.

It's not just the trees that are to be lost, the birds and other wildlife will go with them.

Speaking from a position of complete ignorance I wonder how the hel_l they are going to uproot that tree and transport it elsewhere. If that is feasible would the tree survive the ordeal? Any tree location experts here to explain?

Quote:

Unquote

That sounds ridiculous - it's nonsense to pretend outsiders should be able to interfere in a personal decision.

Anyway, I know Prasarn and he's a very Conservation-aware chap, both his Parents were serious nature lovers (hence of course they have such old and beautiful trees on their land); his mother founded the "Friends of Khao Yai" Group many years ago and fought for years to stop construction of the road into that Park from the Nakhon Nayok side. Sadly that road was eventually built, not only did that cut the Park in two and disrupting animal movements but it resulted in the felling of hundreds of large - and valuable, the wood simply disappeared - trees; a swathe much wider than necessary for the construction of the road was cut through irreplaceable Rain forest.

Where were Khun Surapon, Khun Oraya and their pals when that was happening?

Patrick

Khun Oraya is a really nice person who stands up for people in Bangkok when noone else will. She is also active in the Quite Bangkok group. They do great things. Check it out.

Speaking from a position of complete ignorance I wonder how the hel_l they are going to uproot that tree and transport it elsewhere. If that is feasible would the tree survive the ordeal? Any tree location experts here to explain?

What I see here often in Thailand, they saw-cut the branches much to deep. Many trees die, specialy if they have to stay above the earth for a while. There seem to be to little knowledge about trees here anyway.

What I see here often in Thailand, they saw-cut the branches much to deep. Many trees die, specialy if they have to stay above the earth for a while. There seem to be to little knowledge about trees here anyway.

I wonder how many tree surgeons there are here, it seems that very few people know anything about trees, apart from how to butcher them!

I think any trees that have made it to this size need preservation. Us humans seem not to care about environment and have little sensibility about beauty and essence of nature. But not being a greenie, if the tree can be relocated even better. Hard cutting the branches and then lifting the root ball means the trauma the tree will experience could take 5 years for it to come back but like pruning seasonally, it should survive. I am also no arbor expert but I know a few who could help.

Khun Oraya is a really nice person who stands up for people in Bangkok when noone else will. She is also active in the Quite Bangkok group. They do great things. Check it out.

She may indeed be "a really nice person", unfortunately many such people seem to delight in involving themselves in areas about which they have no real understanding - or more likely have ulterior agendas to promote or publicise.

A 100 year old tree (if, indeed, we believe the original story and the trees are that old), just like you and I, will not last forever, every living thing has a finite lifetime - and in an environment like Sukhumvit Soi 31 today what is the future for that small plot of land after these trees die?

That area is a residential area - full stop, it will never revert to be as it was perhaps even just 50 years ago.

Far better for Khun Surapon and Khun Oraya to exert themselves and try and preserve what relatively few REAL wild spaces still exist in Thailand - but of course that gains no newspaper column inches or other revenue enhancing opportunities when compared to trying to pillory the owner of BITEC etc. etc..

Patrick

Where were they when Khao Yai was being cleared?

They're Thai - building wooden cabins of course and buying up plots of the Park to locate them on. It's not just Thai generals come PMs who are the savvy ones.

It makes me laugh: the BMA who single handedly managed to save those old decrepit buses, experts at conservation, now lend their weight to saving the trees to be poisoned by a passing polluting no 72 little green 1950s bus.

And as for those Thai do-gooders and their little social groups in BKK ......... in a country where the have's are 5% and the have-nots are the remaining 95% - don't you think trees perse should be well down the list below the abortion problem, the sell your daughter as a prostitute problem, what do we do with Pattaya problem, justice for sale problem, failed eduction, health, welfare problem, corruption run riot problem, red shirts run riot problem, Thaksin problem, influential family problem, renegade generals problem, police problem, terrorism problem, drug problem, etc etc etc.

Trees above people .......................... er, this isn't the lecturing first world is it?

Quote:

Unquote

Patrick

It may be ridiculous in Thailand at this point in time, but in developed countries, many cities and counties have recognized the importance of trees for the larger community and have enacted laws and regulations for tree preservation, even on private property.

As a former municipal arborist in a California city, a large part of my job was reviewing, approving or denying plans and applications for tree removal permits. Community tree preservation is social responsibility, some people recognize this, some don't. Public education and peer pressure is as important as laws and regulations. It's a long hard battle and the developers usually win and the trees (and community) lose. It's been over 100 years since John Davey wrote the book "The Tree Doctor" and arboriculture in the US, Europe, Australia, NZ and other countries has come a long way, but still has a long way to go. In Asia, Singapore and Hong Kong are setting the standard. There is a lot of information available on tree preservation, and examples of what can be done by professional organizations, lawmakers and community groups. The International Society of Arboricuture is an important resource www.isa-arbor.com and www.treesaregood.org

There is an effort underway now to form a Thailand Arborist Association for the promotion of better tree care education and practices in Thailand. I'd love to hear from professionals who are interested, especially other ISA certified arborists. Community volunteer groups are an important part of planting and preservation programs, like "Friends of the Urban Forest" of San Francisco, "Canopy" of Palo Alto, and "City Trees" of Redwood City, organizations that I am familiar with.

BTW, maybe all trees stand in the rain, but not all trees are called raintree. The species in the news is Albizia saman (formerly Samanea saman) a native of South America and widely planted in Thailand.

Raintree.pdf

Why Topping Hurts Trees.pdf

Benefits of Trees.pdf

Transplanting techniques in Thailand are very crude. If it weren't for the forgiving climate and nature of the species to take root rapidly and regrow, there would be much greater percent mortality of transplanted large trees.

The problem is that the roots are cut too close to the trunk and limbs are cut back heavily to facilitate the moving process. Yes they regrow, but the large cuts decay into the structural wood and become weakened over time, so even of the tree survives and puts out new foliage and branch structure it could become structurally unstable as wood decay advances. The size of the root ball maintained in relation to the overall tree size is important, as is preservation of the scaffold branch stucture in maintaining a healthy, structurally stable transplanted tree. But to do it property takes more soil root ball size and weight, and therefore bigger equipment and higher tree moving costs. So cost cutting compromises tree health and structural integrity. Better education and professional practices are needed.

• 2 months later...