Teething Problems

Ice Maiden

Hello again. I'm a little concerned with my extracted wisdom tooth. My dntist said she didn't need to x-ray it because she had dealt with cases like mine before. She numbed it, took it out and attached some stitches then also a gauze and told me to go home.

I have an ulcer looking thing on my gum which I thought was an infection. But now I'm sure it's an ulcer. The dentist said gargle salt water and it'll be fine.

I thought everything was fine until I did a stupid thing and read horror stories online. Apparently the dentist is supposed to break the tooth in four bits, mine didn't. I know the whole root is out because I've kept the tooth - she gave me it. I also read on that an infection can spread the the next tooth, is that was that ulcer thing was? It just makes me wonder if I've made a mistake and this woman is no dentist. Would you be worried?

Maybe I'm just being paranoid but what do you guys think?

Worried Ice Maiden

the fact that the dentist didnt take an x ray before extracting the tooth is basically a sign of gross negligence on the dentists part , unless she has x-ray vision which obviously some thai dentists think they have.

if the roots of the tooth had been curved or hooked or in close proximity to the important nerve that runs below the wisdom tooth then the tooth would not have come out easily , may have broken off , or may have irreparably damaged the nerve etc.

only an x ray would show the root pattern. only when the root pattern /shape is known can you plan the correct way to exert the appropriate forces required to remove the tooth.

x- rays will also reveal any developing pathology in the bone too , such as an extra tooth in there (rare , but not unknown), abscesses,or any natural thickening of the bony structure surrounding the tooth that could make for a difficult and lengthy extraction procedure.

until being aware of the root shape , no extraction should EVER be attempted.

i would certainly find another dentist , yours is far from professional.

after an extraction and some stitches , the gum can look greyish / yellowish around the wound.

thats normal.

regular gargling with hot salt water will help to keep the area clean.

avoid cigarettes and alcohol for a week or so.

only when the tooth cannot be extracted in a straight line , such as when the path of extraction is blocked by another tooth or part of the jawbone , will it be necessary to divide the tooth into two or more pieces before removal.

but , honestly speaking , i would recommend finding a dentist who will x-ray the tooth before extracting.

in the uk , if a dentist extracted a tooth without x-raying it first , and the extraction did not go according to plan , or there was some damage to the nerve , the patient would have every right to sue the dentist , would win , and the case would be referred to the dental council , who would probably remove the dentists licence until he had spent some time re-training.

here in thailand you would have no such recourse ,patients would be injured , and the dentist would carry on with her sloopy ways unchallenged.

it really is a negligent , sloppy and stupid system here.

find another dentist.

Edited by taxexile