Thailand Live Saturday 27 Nov 2010

webfact

Thailand Live Saturday 27 November 2010

News, Bits and Tweets

with webfact

Keep up to date with live updates from the news, hour by hour.

For breaking news,national, regional and international news updates on

a daily basis only, this thread is closed to commentary so that those

who wish to follow the news can find it here...

Commentary is still open for Thailand news in the relevant thread posted in News Clippings.

FOLLOW US:

You can also follow us on

- Twitter: http://twitter.com/georgebkk

- Google Buzz: http://www.google.com/profiles/thaivisa

- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ThaiVisaNews

- Breaking News via SMS text messages to your mobile phone or handheld device

To subscribe dial *424010011 on AIS, One-2-Call, DTAC or True Move networks

14 days complementary subscription for Thaivisa members.

If you have questions about the Breaking News SMS service,

email: sms [at] thaivisa.com

________________________________________________________________________________

Thailand's current weather and forecasts: http://weather.thaivisa.com/

________________________________________________________________________________

Related topic: Thailand Live Friday 26 Nov 2010

PM Rejects 'Parliament Dictatorship' Allegation

The prime minister has rejected the opposition’s claims that he is a Parliament dictator. However, he has opened doors for a possible House Dissolution after the Constitution amendment is completed.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva affirmed that his government has never tried to be a dictator.

Such a claim was brought up by the opposition, who Abhisit said chose not to take part in the joint Parliament committee, tasked with the Constitution amendment.

The PM believes the Pheu Thai Party will not use the issue as a cause to bring red shirt protesters back to the streets again.

And when asked about House Dissolution, Abhisit said that such a move should theoretically be launched after the completion of the Constitution amendment, which is up to the special joint Parliament committee.

He also insisted that the government continues to do all it can to protest Cambodia’s proposed plan to administer disputed land surrounding Preah Vihear Temple, which was previously submitted to the World Heritage committee as part of its listing of the area as a world heritage site.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-11-27

footer_n.gif

Police Set up Autopsy Probing Committee

The police chief has set up a committee to probe the postmortem examinations on the bodies of red shirt supporters, following an investigation conducted by the Department of Special Investigation which stated government troops were responsible for some of the deaths.

National Police Commissioner Police General Wichien Pojphosree has issued an order to set up a committee to probe the autopsy of red shirt causalities.

The DSI has asked the police to investigate and carry out legal proceedings on four cases, including the three bodies from the Patthumwanaran Temple massacre on May 19, one body from the National Memorial violence on April 28, one from the Dusit Zoo incident on May 10 and the death on Japanese reporter Hiroyuki Muramoto on May 10. The DSI-led investigation believes that the deaths were caused by government troops.

Due to the fact that this case has an impact on peace and national security, the National Police Office has decided to set up a committee to probe the autopsy, to be chaired by Police Legal Adviser Police General Ek Angsananont with Assistant National Police Commissioner Police Lieutenant General Chatchawal Suksomjit as the vice chairman of the committee.

The committee will be authorized to oversee the autopsies and ensure that all procedures are conducted fairly and lawfully.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-11-27

footer_n.gif

PARLIAMENT SESSION

Speaker Chai praises House performance

By THE NATION

med_gallery_327_1086_18295.jpg

Chai

House Speaker Chai Chidchob said he was "very satisfied" with the legislature's performance on the last working day of the current parliamentary session yesterday.

He also thanked his colleagues in the House of Representatives for their good cooperation.

The current session, which began on August 1, officially closes on Monday at royal command issued on Thursday.

Over the session, MPs convened 30 meetings and participated in 10 joint meetings with members of the Senate. The Lower House deliberated on 103 draft laws in the first reading and 45 others were vetted by joint committees, the Speaker said.

Nineteen draft laws were approved by Parliament during the current session.

The House approved two constitutional amendment drafts and rejected two others deliberated on this week.

A total of 717 queries were submitted by MPs during the period, and 623 of them were allowed by the meeting chairman to be directed at Cabinet members. Of all the interpellations, 379 have not been answered or explained by the relevant ministers. Joint sittings of the two Houses approved 24 international agreements, as required by Article 190 of the Constitution.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-27

Malaysians nabbed in Cha-am drug bust

By The Nation

Two Malaysian men were arrested yesterday with 20 kilograms of "ice" or crystal methamphetamine hydrochloride and 3kg of heroin worth about Bt60 million, police said yesterday.

The suspects were nabbed at a checkpoint in Phetchaburi province's Cha-am district.

Police say this is the first time foreigners have been caught with such a large haul. One of the suspects confessed to entering Thailand via Songkhla's Sadao district last Sunday, before flying to Bangkok to get the car from his Thai wife. He picked up an associate in the capital on the way back to Songkhla, where other dealers were to take drugs to sell in Singapore.

The suspects said they had been given Bt1 million to move the haul to Songkhla.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-27

Related topic

Thai Police Make 2 Million-Dollar Drugs Haul

South to be hit by more rain

By The Nation

The flood-related death toll rose to 255 yesterday as the Weather Bureau warned of more downpours hitting the South.

Wiboon Sanguapong, director-general of the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department, said that as of yesterday, nine provinces were still under water, namely Kalasin, Roi Et, Ubon Ratchathani, Suphan Buri, Ayutthaya, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Surat Thani and Phatthalung.

Flooding in 42 other provinces has eased and restoration is underway.

The bureau also said temperatures were likely to drop by 1-3 degrees Celsius as another ridge of high pressure from China extends to upper Thailand and the South China Sea.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-27

SUICIDE

Cancer patient leaps to her death

By The Nation

med_gallery_327_1086_40208.jpg

A cancer-stricken young woman jumped to her death from a Skytrain station yesterday morning.

Duangjai Jantanan, 24, sustained fatal injuries after she deliberately leapt off the platform of Sanam Pao station.

She was rushed alive to a nearby hospital but succumbed shortly afterwards.

Private Pete Jantarat said he was patrolling the area when he noticed a bald woman sitting down with her legs off the platform.

"I shouted out loud, 'Please don't jump, be calm,' but she jumped anyway," he said.

Duangjai's elder brother Nantapop Jantanan said she was a cheerful girl until she was diagnosed with terminal breast cancer two years ago.

"Since then, she kept to herself and suffered from terrible stress," the brother said.

Nantapop said Duangjai underwent her fourth chemotherapy session on Thursday and had complained about how much the therapy hurt.

"But she said nothing else. I am so sad she decided to end her own life," Nantapop said.

Duangjai's aunt Somjai Pimthong said the family had offered moral support and paid close attention to her all along.

"She used to tell us that she would fight on," she said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-27

Golden finale

By The Nation

Guangzhou, China

med_gallery_327_1086_13669.jpg

Women's relay team pulls off stunning victory; Woranuj gold ends Thai campaign

Two gold medals through stunning performances by the women's 4x100m relay team and boxer Worapoj Petchkoom on the penultimate day brought to a close Thailand's medal hunt in the 16th Asian Games.

Thailand were in contention in five events yesterday, two each in amateur boxing and athletics and one in kabaddi, but could grab only two more gold. With an overall haul of 11 golds, the Thais fell short of their 13-gold target.

After the Thai men's 4x100m team settled for the bronze, the women's 4x100m quartet of Phatsorn Jaksuninkorn, Neeranuch Klomdee, Laphassakorn Taworncharoen and Nongnuch Sanrat lit up the AOTi Main Stadium with their brilliance. They clocked their season-best time of 44.09 seconds to capture the gold. The timing also bettered their first-round effort of 44.42, which was the fastest in the heats.

The fantastic effort by the awesome sprinters not only shattered the dreams of title-holders China to make it seven times in a row in the action-packed, thrilling race, but also ended the Thai women's 32-year gold-medal drought in 4x100m relay event.

The quartet of Ussanee Laopinkarn, Wallapa Pinit, Phussadee Sangvijitr and Bussapranee Rattanapol had last won the gold in the event in 1978, at the Bangkok Asian Games.

"It's great to win at last. Though nervous, I told myself I had to do my best for Thai people, my family and my beloved ones. I'd never thought of winning the gold. To finish in the top three was my top priority here," said a tearful Nongnuch, who sped past the field in the last leg.

"Before the race, I called up my father. He advised me to do my best and not worry about the results. Certainly, this win gave me the happiest moment of my life," said Nongnuch. "Running the last leg was a big burden on my shoulders, but I just went out there without any pressure. Actually, I had an injury on my chin, but fortunately it did not hurt me while running."

Nongnuch said winning the gold in Guangzhou was a great compensation after the Thai 4x100 relay squad was disqualified in the final at the Doha Asian Games four years ago. "We left Doha in tears, but here we had tears of happiness," she said. China picked up the silver with a time of 44.22 seconds, while Japan were third in 44.41.

The men's quartet of Poommanas Jankem, Wachara Sondee, Jirapong Meenapra and Sittichai Suwonprateep, however, failed to measure up to the high expectations. The Thai men's relay teams had won the gold at the last two Asian Games - in Pusan (2002) and Doha (2006) - but they had to be content with a bronze this time despite timing 39.09, their best for the season. However, China, strengthened by 100m winner Lao Yi, blazed away to the gold in 38.78, bettering the Games record of 38.82 set by Thailand in Busan.

Thailand won two more silver medals yesterday when boxer Tassamalee Thongjan lost in the women's 57-60kg final and the Thai women lost to world kabaddi champions India.

However, boxer Worapoj, who had won the silver at the Athens Olympics, gave Thailand a lot to cheer as he pounded China's Zhang Jiawai 8-3 in the men's 56kg class to win the country's 11th and last gold medal in the Guangzhou Games.

Before the fight, a large number of Worapoj's fans and cousins had gathered at his house in Phanom district, Surat Thani. Three giant television sets were set up for the enthusiasts to watch his fight. After Worapoj's win, the gathering fans and his family members yelled and applauded in great joy.

Five gold medals are on offer on the closing day of the 16th Games.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-27

Policeman guarding PM injured by vehicle in PM's motorcade

A policeman riding a motorcycle as part of the prime minister's motorcade was injured Saturday morning when a pick-up of the motorcade lost control and hit the motorbike.

Pol Sgt Pongsakorn Sisai was injured when a pick-up truck of the 11th Infantry Regiment hit his motorcycle at about 9:30 am.

The accident occurred after Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva left the Ploenchit Fair to NBT station to record his weekly TV program. The accident happened when the motorcade was entering the expressway at the Trokchan tollgate.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-27