Importing Supplements, Blocked/Requires Fda Certificates?

czGLoRy

Hello, I don't really know where to ask or if any help could be provided, but maybe it will be informative for some others as well. I have imported some supplements a few times from a website (don't know if I can list it, a popular one from USA). They are just simple things like vitamins. I have received the orders which were very similar three times so far, and for some reason this third one cannot be released.

I was called on the phone and they (DHL) said customs needed a passport copy and approval to import the items. All I ordered was this:

Nature's Answer, Periobrite Toothpaste, Cool Mint, 4 oz (113.4g) (NTA-01640

[ Doctor's Best, Meriva, Phytosome Curcumins, 500 mg, 60 Veggie Caps x2

[Doctor's Best, 5-HTP, Enhanced with Vitamins B6 & C, 120 Veggie Caps]

[Now Foods, Maca, 500 mg, 250 Capsules]

Natural Factors, RxOmega-3 Factors, EPA 400 mg/DHA 200 mg, 240 Softgels (fish oil softgels)

Now Foods, Vitamin D-3, 2,000 IU, 240 Softgels x4

So, just vitamins/fish oil/curcumin, and they need an import license? Is there anything there that would be not allowed? They have not been helpful and I am not sure what to do next. Meh. Thanks for any info!

Edited by czGLoRy

The only item that jumps out is 5-htp, I know it used to be the case that you couldn't buy this over the counter in Singapore, that might have changed. More likely you have just run into the problem that all supplements here are supposed to be approved by the Thai FDA, that's why there is a "grey" market for many of these in MBK. Sometimes you get stuff through, sometimes not.

This often happens when a courier service is used, would not have this problem if sent by normal mail.

As it is for personal use you do not need an import license. The courier services are used to dealing with businesses. I had a similiar problem once importing a home spa -- a simple rubber thing you fill with water from a garden hose. Told I needed an import license, FDA approval and a work permit. Did not in fact need any of those.

The HTP possibly is a problem but if so, an import license wouldn't make any difference.(And no one would be able to get one, not even a pharmacy, if it isn't approved for use).

Most likely the whole problem arose because customs is no sure what the stuff is and therefore doesn't know how to handle it and DHL is equally unaware and uninterested in finding out. In my experience "FDA approval" is a black hole into which customs assigns things they don't know what to do with. Nothing sent for it ever returns, neither with approval nor denial.

You can try being adament that these are simple vitamins and toothpaste for personal use and therefore no import license required. Probably won't help though as DHL will be unlikely to argue on your behalf. A better option is to tell DHL you will handle the clearance yourself, and go down to customs and do so. (Need to get the customs slip from them first). It'll take the better part of a day but you'll probably get it. At least that's been my experience.

Or you could just let it be returned, chalk it up to experience and in future make certain never to use a courier service. Just regular air mail.

Double shipping and you might get hit with the shipping cost, so consider that vs abandonment. Note, too, there might be a "storage" charge imposed by everyone's friends there at Customs, so do what you're going to do soon.

If snail mailing the goodies from the U.S., they might well come through fine, I used to do this with some eyedrops and other meds, then my insurance cover changed policy and started to pay 80% for locally purchased stuff, so buy locally now. Over 3-4 years or so only one package was intercepted by Postal Customs and I had to go down to their office near Hua Lamphong train station to get it released, and it was free after an interview with a doctor stationed their.

Mac