Gun Ownership

al007

I have searched for information and found none

We live in Issan in an area without neighbours

We Live on about 6 Rai in a beautiful house

My Thai wife and I are concerned about uninvited intruders at nightintruders

A good proportion of the time we have a live in gardner

We have been offered unmarked illegal guns and I have totally rejected that approach

I have stated I have an open mind but if we are to have a gun it has to be legal ,and wife has to go and be properly trained in its use, not just a one hour introduction

We have three small dogs and we are hopefully in the process of getting an Alsation dog as well

Also looking for Alsation puppy if anyone knows of one

Serious input would be appreciated, we are aware of the risks of gun ownership, and need people who can talk from their own personal experience

Al

You don't really have my sympathy on choosing where you decided to live and then complain about it but If your not comfortable with owing a gun then big dogs are probably the best way to go but they have to be trained correctly so to avoid poisoning etc and when your trained dog barks go and see why what ever time of the day and reward.

If I was you and that concerned I would have guns as well as dogs, jesu I 'm glad I don't live where you are.

You don't really have my sympathy on choosing where you decided to live and then complain about it but If your not comfortable with owing a gun then big dogs are probably the best way to go but they have to be trained correctly so to avoid poisoning etc and when your trained dog barks go and see why what ever time of the day and reward.

If I was you and that concerned I would have guns as well as dogs, jesu I 'm glad I don't live where you are.

A few geese, too, they make good guards plus they keep snakes away. Not good for lawns, tho, if you have such. Geese also take on dogs, my dogs (some years back in another life) learned not to mess with the geese.

Mac

A few geese, too, they make good guards plus they keep snakes away. Not good for lawns, tho, if you have such. Geese also take on dogs, my dogs (some years back in another life) learned not to mess with the geese.

Mac

pretty sure locals would eat them.

It doesnt look like a complaint to me it looks like and enquiry I applaud him for living where he wants.

Edited by travelmann

A .22 certainly beats trying to suddenly become adept at fighting with a kitchen knife or your bedroom lamp, which are often your only options if you don't plan ahead. Just pick the right ammo (Singh Thong in Wangburapha carries CCI Quick Shok/Stingers/Velocitors and Federal GameShok, all reliable enough..., two rounds per person should be plenty.... and don't forget the all important: regular range time for both you AND your wife (because who knows, she might be the one who isn't wounded and can still operate the family firearm).

...bring on the scenarios where we can all conclude that guns are a bad idea.....

:)

Thanks for the links to previous threads

I like the Geese idea but maybe not practibable, as we are creating beautiful gardens

We love where we live and for the information of one poster we have no complaints

I travelled the world on a substantial private yacht for over ten years through many difficult areas and like many friends we carried no arms, but had many escape plans in the event of necessity

And yes we also carried a liferft and EPIRB distress beacons, we also spent money and had them all regularily maintaied and serviced, fortunately we never had to use them, we did not say we will not go to sea because of the risks

Life is about living and taking risks, but also being cautious and planning for the unforeseen

Careful planninh ahead can maybe save disaster

How many foreiners have property in their wifes name and no Usufruct I wonder

We continue to discuss the gun question, it would be my wife who would use it not myself

It would be kept in a strong gun cabinette of thick steel with two keys one for my wife and one for myself, just to ensure she does not shoot me whilst asleep!!!but seriously to ensure one person alone does not overreact

We pray we would never have to open the cabinette except for maintenance and regular practise

But in the event it were needed than at least hopefully we would have choices

There is a parable about the foolish virgin who bought no oil for her lamp

Can anyone add anything on high powered air rifles, do they require liciences and can they be obtained in Thailand, sometimes the sight of a gun is enough to get rid of a potential intruder

thanks in any case

al007