Tom Yum Goong

Khutan

I have to agree. Shame they did not follow up on the Thai trail instead of bringing in the Australia scenes - they contributed nothing to the movie, it just became a backdrop without any value (it is possible to do martial arts movies with good stories and at least some depth, look at Zhang Yimou's masterpieces Hero and House of Flying Daggers, not to mention Ang Lee's Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.)

The Thai comedian is great in Thai but does not work at all in English. The Western actors, with the exception for the police chief inspector, all seem like they came out of the B-movies produced for third world audiences.

Thai film shows great promise when it comes to beautiful footage, sentimentality and low-key comedy (check out Fan Chun, a little gem of a movie), but Tom Yum Goong does not go all the way. Tony Jaa and his fighting skills will surely make it anyhow, but the rest of the team need to employ a truly talented script-writer first.

Still, the Thai film industry is defintitely getting better. As long as there is enough investment in it, there is bound to come out a really good one soon. In the meanwhile, I will watch 'Kumphaphan', 'Ongkuliman' and 'Fan Chun' again.

I saw it with the missus on Sunday afternoon and we both thought the movie was great entertainment.

:o

I am not particularly fond of martial arts movies, but this one was OK.  The breaking celery stick sounds (aka breaking bones) were a bit OTT sometimes though...  :D

The audience roared with laughter when Loso wandered in and calmly drank his M150 in front of the camera.  :D

Would I watch it again?

Definitely.

:D

I'm with you Jai Dee... just got back in from seeing TYG and thought it was excellent light entertainment. Mind you it was my first Thai film and am also not really into martial arts movies. For a bit of action and unrealism, it was fine. And little Korn is so darn cute! :D

Thai production houses make twenty movies hoping that one will make some money and cover expenses on the other nineteen. They are in this business purely for the money, they will never make anything worth mentioning because real talent simply will not fit in their business models.

Thai movies that got some foreign critics recognition were flops in the domestic market - there were no ghosts, no muai Thai, and no katoys.

Fan Chan is a real gem though. Even than it doesn't fit in a normal business model, with ten directors working on a film.

Boils down to classic artist's dilemma - do you have an idea to sell, or do you actually have an idea but don't know if it will sell or not. Choose one.

And right from the Saturday's Bangkok Post - "The Culture Ministry yesterday vowed to save the Thai film industry from collapse", and also "the ministry plans to inject new life into the dying industry".

And the finance ministry proposing to call new Asia Development Bonds (Taksin's brain child) "Tom Yang Goong Bonds" because THEY think the movie is a total hit taking the word by storm, happily ignoring that "Tom Yang Goong Crisis" is a far more familiar nickname.

I want and saw Tom Yum Goong yesterday.

I must say it was a very good film, and I greatly enjoyed myself. It was easy to watch, but not boring, and the development of tension between the characters was excellent. Of course sympathy goes with the main character throughout the film.

I also feel it sets a new standard for Thai cinema. There was better character development than I have seen before, and whilst the complexity of the characters was revealed, the plot was left uncomplicated, but it was also developed. Further, they didn't resort to the usual "slapstick" humor, when in need to "pad" the film. Further and finally, I did enjoy seeing good camera work and shot angle. The effects used were deliberate, and were appropriate for the scenes.

I would recomend anyone to see it.

i went and saw it and thought it was banal .

made by the mentally subnormal for morons.

it was so bad it wouldnt make the worlds worst movies list.

i noticed many farangs walking out after 15 minutes.

i went and saw it and thought it was banal .

made by the mentally subnormal for morons.

it was so bad it wouldnt make the worlds worst movies list.

i noticed many farangs walking out after 15 minutes.

I think your mistake was going to see a movie billed as a "mindless action movie" and treating it with academy level criticism. Duh.