Exporting A Bike To The Uk

coxhoedave

A friend here in the UK has seen a bike he fancies on Thai Visa classifieds.

There is no problem getting it checked out over there but if he wanted to ship it over to the UK would an export company take care of the packing/crating for shipping?

It would be nice to hear if anyone else has done this to see what problems they encountered.

jeeze.. this is a 1st.. with all the available bikes in the UK. Your friend wants to buy a Thaid bike..... :whistling:

Depends on the rarity of the bike and the availability in the UK.

It's a bit like saying Jeeze...this is a first why would someone import a 57 Chevy from California with all the available cars in the UK.

Except for the fact that the 57 chevvy in cali would be cheaper than the uk.. But here we are all moaning at the incredibly high price of Thai bikes compared to uk bikes.

Almost any bike he sees in Thaivisa classifieds will be cheaper and or in better nick in the uk, without the shipping, importation and road registration (not that hard in uk).. That is unless hes seen another scam advert posted or possibly a 400 baby racer as those were rarer and grey imports to the uk. That said any cheap 400 here will likely be a dog mechanically compared to what someones used to in uk.

jeeze.. this is a 1st.. with all the available bikes in the UK. Your friend wants to buy a Thaid bike..... :whistling:

Here's a 'for example' for you .... I know somebody in the UK who would like a Kawasaki KSR110.

What wants one enough to pay the shipping, import and road reg fees ?? couple of grand uk on top of the ksr price.. To have in the end a ksr.. When so many pitbikes are possible in the uk ??

Thats the point.. Sure someone might want one.. But its simply not very cost effective.

Here's a 'for example' for you .... I know somebody in the UK who would like a Kawasaki KSR110.

shipping to the UK approx 6.000 baht, for one bike or for 30 bikes(20 foot container). handling fees same for one or 30 bikes. Emisssion will pass UK, but not sure if side stand ignition switch is required in the UK.

PM if you want to continue :)

6000 baht on a single bike ??

Best pricing I could get for one bike was a 30k baht and was slow boat via Port Klang.

what a mess I made :jap: , its supposed to be 60k baht for the container (equals 2k baht/bike if only 30 bikes in a container). 2-3 weeks to UK via Singapore.

I'd have to agree with @LivinLOS.

Unless this is the only or at least cheapest place you can get this particular bike don't do it! The buyer will be buying sight unseen and judging by the standard of maintenance on many of the bikes I've seen in LOS it could well "End In Tears" (and a big bill...) or, at a minimum, disappointment and a jaded buying experience.

Much better to buy what you can in your locality and be able to inspect it and avoid all the grief.

I used to import rare Guitars to the UK (not bikes, I agree, but it's a similar buying process re: costs, import duty, shipping..yada yada) and I had a few horror stories. They took a lot of effort and time to resolve.

The term "Buyer Beware" doesn't exist for no reason..

Good Luck with whatever you decid eto do and let us know how you get on.

Best Regards

P