Whingeing Farangs

mpdkorat

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The things spending time in Thailand has taught me are:

1. PATIENCE Everything will take much longer than you ever estimated. Especially Bangkok Taxis. Although I have been surprised that when a tradesman/delivery says I will be at you apartment on XXX, they ARE.. 95% of the time.

2. I SWEAT constantly. People say I will get used to the climate - eventually. I'm not so sure!

3. Finding my type of food to eat is a bit tricky.. I'm a very picky eater, But that's not the Thai's fault. It's me.

4. As much as you try and speak Thai - the same way, some will get it, some won't. Get used to it.

5. The MRT is the BEST!!! :o

6. It's CHEAP!! (compared to California)

ChrisP

it depends where you are coming from,literally. some guys may have lived in an arrsehole of the world environement before coming to LOS so they may be as happy as pigs in sh1t at their improvement on living standards.maybe they lived in a trailor park in the US or a northern england slum environment.

Others may come from rather nice place and have a good standard of living and cant help making comparisons when moving to a 3rd world country.

so its all relative from where you come from and your perceived improvment.

:o

it depends where you are coming from,literally. some guys may have lived in an arrsehole of the world environement before coming to LOS so they may be as happy as pigs in sh1t at their improvement on living standards.maybe they lived in a trailor park in the US or a northern england slum environment.

Others may come from rather nice place and have a good standard of living and cant help making comparisons when moving to a 3rd world country.

so its all relative from where you come from and your perceived improvment.

Yes, I came from a youth hostel that was real rough and most people were doing drugs and alcohol in their bedrooms so they were always being kicked out but sometimes when you made a close friend they'd get kicked out and that was hard. Also I had a routine I had to live by too. And I didn't care where I was living as long as it wasn't the streets. Now I'm in Pattaya with my Dad I think his home is amazing and I have to keep pinching myself!

Everybody must whine sometime when for the 100th time your ripped off for being a farang.

It is the way you look at things .... I was pleased when I got "discount" for taking my Thai g/f on a trip but a lot of people get p1ssed off at getting charged extra for being a Farang .... I suppose it is how we all look at life diferently!!! :o

Have you noticed in your travels around Thailand how we are constantly winging about Thailand. We complain about:

The Visa situation

Various bar girl cons

Duel pricing

Sick buffalo’s

Demanding families

The inability to own land

Corruption

Insincerity

Etc etc…………….

Why do we stay or want to stay here?

I for one would rather put up with what I consider to be the small inconveniences of living in Thailand. There are usual ways around most of the problems.

I for one, am not whinging about this place, been to over 80 countries in all and so far Thailand is head and shoulders above the rest .... only ever seen one place I'd consider living ... the south island of NZ

Nothing wrong with a whinge now and then just keep it in perspective

Just a thought, i am sure many of you have noticed as i myself have that a huge majority of thais are not very interested in hearing constructive critisism, I believe that if there is something being done wrong or a problem with something then the first step to changing that is to acknowledge that there is in fact a problem to start with. Everwhere has its good and bad points for sure, but perhaps the forang winging is based on the fact that nobody else is listening to what can often be a frustration at a problem that actually does need addressing. I spend a lot of time at present whinging about my noisy neighbours, for me this is a real problem, i dont want to moan about it i want it to go away, the only people who can relate or are prepared to listen are it seems fellow forangs. Does that make me a complaining forang or a person with a problem? The noise thing is quite a cultural thing, although noisy neighbours can be anywhere in any country, this is just a small example not the main point, the point is, do forangs whinge to each other because they have a general frustration at something that is wrong or are they just grumpy bastards? :o

Just a thought, i am sure many of you have noticed as i myself have that a huge majority of thais are not very interested in hearing constructive critisism, I believe that if there is something being done wrong or a problem with something then the first step to changing that is to acknowledge that there is in fact a problem to start with.

You've got to be careful in a situation like that, or might put someones "face" in jeopardy. You cannot apply Western principals in Thailand... it is an entirely different perspective, and to point out a fault or problem could cause Thai loss of respect for you, because you are the one (nobody else) with the problem.

It is a sometimes difficult concept to understand and accept, but accept it you must if you wish to live an harmonious life here.

Personally, I rarely whinge about anything in Thailand anymore... although I have been known to let rip with a few expletives at others whilst driving... :o

A man was walking with his belongings on a road when he met a monk and asked him "What are the people like in the next town along the road?' to which the Monk replied "What were they like in the last town you came from?' to which the traveller replied " They were awful, mean, cruel, would not give me the time of day" Oh said the Monk, well I'm afraid they are pretty much the same in the next town" both men went on their way. After a while the Monk met another traveler who asked the same question and the Monk said the same thing to him. To which the Traveller replied "They were kind, polite, could not do enough for me" To which the Monk replied "Well you will find them pretty much the same in the next town."

Moral of the story is pretty obvious, If you are a whinger don't expect to be appreciated or liked as much as a non-whinger, this is NOT our country, we have to fit in with THEIR customs and ways (as frustrating as they may be sometimes) not the other way round.

Chock Dee

TP

it depends where you are coming from,literally.

This is a good point. I spent most of my adult life living in a place where many things were "worse" (if that's a good choice of words) than they are here in Thailand. For example, the water and power are more reliable here. The shopping is better. The driving is better. (Yep, sure is.) Availability of fresh fruits and vegetables is much, much better. The variety of entertainment is better. The beer is better. And, the price of everything is way, way better.

Sure, there are a few things I can complain about; but not many.

Have you noticed in your travels around Thailand how we are constantly winging about Thailand. We complain about:

The Visa situation

Various bar girl cons

Duel pricing

Sick buffalo’s

Demanding families

The inability to own land

Corruption

Insincerity

Etc etc…………….

Why do we stay or want to stay here?

I for one would rather put up with what I consider to be the small inconveniences of living in Thailand. There are usual ways around most of the problems.

Oh dear, you forgot.......

Mosquitos

Dog noise

Motorbike noise

but remember

wonderful food

good people

cheap most things

I strongly suspect most whingers were the same way "back home"  :D 

Wherever you go, there you are, personal baggage, warts and all... :o

Must be a heavy load to carry around all the time??? Lighten up already!  :D

This is very true, I love Thailand but I sometimes moan about it after I've been there a while and screw anybody who 'whinges' to me - "Why don't you go back home if you hate it so much here?" which is a rediculous statement usually made by Tomothy's - another breed of Farang who get affected by the sin and debauchery going on around them and subsequently try to be a better person but go overboard and end up preaching to all and sundry and trying to prove themselves different to 'most Farang' whenever they meet Thai people, thinking that they are the only perfect farang in LOS.

Those who never moan about Thailand don't really love it, in a similar vain it can also be said that a relationship with no fights or fall outs is usualy dull and void of any passion or true love.

I am now going to join my darling wife in the garden and whinge that my steak is undercooked and the chang isn't cold enough, also that it's raining, and it's all her fault. :D What a problematic life I live. :D

Bit early for a Chang, wasn't it?

Sorry I'm late getting back but one chang turned into uhhhhh two :D

4.40pm early, and there's me trying to convince the missus I was easing back :D

snoophound. She cooks the best steak on Eastern Seaboard as long as you like well done. :o She can't stand beef herself, says she became too fond of cattle when she looked after them as a young girl.

Moral of the story is pretty obvious, If you are a whinger don't expect to be appreciated or liked as much as a non-whinger, this is NOT our country, we have to fit in with THEIR customs and ways (as frustrating as they may be sometimes) not the other way round.

Oh yes indeed. I happen to like Thai customs and ways (in the main). Everything everywhere is a compromise, and in general I prefer LOS to anywhere else on the planet. There is another moral that should be borne in mind:

Never judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes. Then, when you slag him off, you're a mile away from him AND you've got his shoes.

For a long time I live in a secret place in Hawaii. Those of us who lived there tried not to tell many people of the lifestyle for fear of those to come and ruin it. One day I decided to try Thailand for a visit, I got ripped off in BKK and left and found Chiang Mai. I asked DW about infromation one day and found out about the Lahus. Well I moved in there north of Chiang Mai and was in heaven again but just did not have the cops chasing us out of the jungle like Hawaii. I have not told many about these jungles in Thailand and the Other places.

I love Thailand but now have a Thai wife and am forced to work and save in USA for a while. This is all I like about USA is the ability to work for great sums. But if I need to see a doctor or dentist I spend. Not like Thailand.

The people are beautiful, things are cheap, the food is the best and also cheap.

I still do not tell many people about where they can find so much because Chiang Mai is becoming so overpopulated already and I will not help it become more so.

There are some secret places that should be kept secret so they do not become like everywhere else.

So the only wnining should be done over how many people have found the secret place and by those who have not made it back yet.

Face it Chiang Mai and a few other place have so much to offer us Hippies of the world.

my current problems:

-my TGF oversexes me. She wants it all the time.

-I am tired of being complimented on how I "phuut Thai geng". That means speak Thai very well for the Thai language challenged.

-I am constantly being treated by old women who keep feeding me and getting me drunk.

-I look like I have money.

-I'm always being hit on.

-when I walk by, women say "farang lo". I hope that's a positive quote.

yep, these are problems. :o

-I am tired of being complimented on how I "phuut Thai geng".  That means speak Thai very well for the Thai language challenged.

-

Yes , they always say that , yawn......... :o

That's right. When replying with "Nit Noi" if you can speak Thai.

Two syllables does not a linguist make? :D

THIS IS INTERESTING ... COMING FROM THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FENCE... :o

(EMAILED TO ME IN THAILAND FROM "THE OTHER SIDE")

Australia - The Right to Leave

Our Country - YOU Have the right - the right to leave !

After Sydney not wanting to offend other cultures by putting up Xmas lights.

After hearing that the State of South Australia changed its opinion and let a Muslim woman have her picture on her driver's license with her face covered.

This prompted this editorial written by an Australian citizen.

Published in an Australian newspaper.

Quote:

IMMIGRANTS, NOT AUSTRALIANS, MUST ADAPT. Take It Or Leave It

I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Bali, we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Australians.

However, the dust from the attacks had barely settled when the "politically correct" crowd began complaining about the possibility that our patriotism was offending others. I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming to Australia.

However, there are a few things that those who have recently come to our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand.

This idea of Australia being a multicultural community has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As Australians, we have our own culture, our own society, our own language and our own lifestyle.

This culture has been developed over two centuries of struggles, trials and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom.

We speak ENGLISH, not Spanish, Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese,Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society, Learn the language!

"In God We Trust" is our National Motto. This is not some Christian, right wing, political slogan. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, Because God is part of our culture.

If the Southern Cross offends you, or you don't like " A Fair Go", then you should seriously consider a move to another part of this planet.

We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, And we really don't care how you did things where you came from.

This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow

You every opportunity to enjoy all this.

But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our National Motto, or Our Way of Life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great Australian freedom, "THE RIGHT TO LEAVE".

If you aren't happy here then f#@* off! We didn't force you to come here. You asked to be here. So accept the country YOU accepted. Pretty easy really, when you think about it.

MY ANSWER?: I left already !!! :D

But... on the other hand, where will we seek compromise as the world becomes one BIG Global Village?

Where do we draw the line to say: this culture began here and don't dare try to change it? (Australia, USA, Canada & New Zealand being MAJOR exceptions and a little hypocritical perhaps?)

Immigration is a complex issue and what are the boundaries?

How will Thailand cope in the future with the southern Muslim problem? And further down the track with the influx of many investors and retirees from all over the globe?

Food for thought!