Looking For New Kingston 256Gb Ssdnow V100 Series

mouse

I am looking for a NEW Kingston 256GB SSDNow V100 Series kit that allows me to install and use it as the primary drive within the computer I am building. Checked everywhere, although heavily advertised I need to find someone that has it in stock. If you see it drop a line here please. Most preferred location would be in Chiang Mai as I am going there within days.

The Kingston V100 is a very lackluster choice.. old tech too.

If you must buy within Thailand consider the Intel brand.. they support Trim natively and have the best reputation for reliability and compatibility if not speed.

For a personal computer with a SATAIII connection the Crucial C300 256gb (they'll mail it) performs near the top performance wise, has native trim support, and for me (I have several) have been totally reliable. It's last years tech though.. but still hanging in near th etop.

Intel is coming out with a new generation very soon. Faster, more capacity, cheaper.. and many models with the sandforce controller (recognized as the best save maybe for Intel) are now available if you shop carefully.

In truth.. you probably won't 'notice' any difference in performance within the top ten performing models. However, after a period of use you will see a huge decrease in performance if the SSD doesn't support TRIM (only supported natively by WIn7 at this time), and you'll need to set it up exactly right (ACH mode, proper formatting, etc) or it will under perform.

I think SSD's are great.. but you need to be very selective in your choice. When you find one, read a lot of reviews and learn its weak spots and how it performs with certain tasks, tasks you're most likely to perform. They're not a simply straight upgrade like a regular HDD..

bkksw Thanks for the details and link on the Crucial SSD. I think I may go for the 128 GB version. Do you think that the Asus P7P55D-E can take full advantage of this SSD?

Sorry to hijack the thread.

I'm also looking at the Crucial drive now. As for your board seems spec is OK > 2 x SATA 6.0Gb/s connectors (gray). In my case I may need to either upgrade my P5B-E Plus or get a SATA III (6Gb/s) addon card.

bkksw Thanks for the details and link on the Crucial SSD. I think I may go for the 128 GB version. Do you think that the Asus P7P55D-E can take full advantage of this SSD?

Before deciding on the 128g version take notice of the difference in specs (read speed specifically) between the 256g and 128g. They're very clear on the specs, but many read the specs on the 256g, then buy the 128g and feel slighted because they're different.

Yes, the Asus motherboard you mention has SATA III/6gpbs ports.. it's a good board. If you're looking for top performance I'd look elsewhere though. The Marvel controller they use is under performing.. I noticed significant difference going from my Asus P6T Deluxe V2, to my Gigabyte UD7.. same SATAIII ports.. but different controllers running them. The difference is maybe 5% so only enthusiasts will care.

An SSD really improves performance for your operating system and programs which are accessed regularly. In the past, it was recognized that HDD performance would drop off once over 50% full. SSD's tend to do the same, but in my experience at about 65-70% capacity. So, you'll want to keep 30% empty, add in for your scratch disk if you use a program that uses one (photoshop, lightroom, Capture One, etc), your page file (often 10g or more), recycle bin, and any data that benefits from being kept on the SSD (indexed email/Outlook for example).. and then choose the right size. Some with light systems get by with Intels 40g, if an only drive on a laptop most must have 128g but long for 256g.. and on a really busy workstation 256g isn't unreasonable. My laptop uses 90g of the 256g C300.. which gives me plenty of room for image files while on the road. My workstation uses 150g of it's 256g and it's a very loaded and very busy computer.. Boy that was disjointed sorry.. it's just that an SSD is such an significant/costly purchase, you want to give full thought to ensure you get the one you want. Many try to save a few bucks with a smaller size.. and then wish they went to the larger size.

I'm also looking at the Crucial drive now. As for your board seems spec is OK > 2 x SATA 6.0Gb/s connectors (gray). In my case I may need to either upgrade my P5B-E Plus or get a SATA III (6Gb/s) addon card.

I'm not sure it's worth replacing your MB over.. it will run fine on a SATAII 3gbs port. I run the same C300 on a SATAII laptop (scores 540 on the AS SSD benchmark) and 665 on my SATAIII capable workstation. A difference, but maybe not enough to be worth upgrading just for that reason.